Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Which is the more stupider obsession?

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?
View Poll Results: Which is the more stupider obsession?
2.4" tires
25.00%
V-brakes
75.00%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Which is the more stupider obsession?

Old 09-17-21, 01:24 PM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
Exclamation Which is the more stupider obsession?

So I saw that Nashbar has a Batch Bicycles Lifestyle bike with 27.5" x 1.95" tires and V-brakes. I know I'd probably change things like the bottom bracket and the saddle if I got it. Still, V-brakes is something I really want. But I also wish I had clearance for 2.4" slick tires and fenders. I know the Norco Indie has clearance for 2.4" tires because I measured it with a piece of cardboard in a store.

Here's the dilemma. The Norco Indie has disc brakes. But I think the Batch Bicycles Lifestyle probably doesn't have the clearance for 2.4" tires. So if I have an obsession with getting V-brakes and 2.4" tires, which one is the more stupid of the two?
Old 09-18-21, 12:45 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by hybridbkrdr
So I saw that Nashbar has a Batch Bicycles Lifestyle bike with 27.5" x 1.95" tires and V-brakes. I know I'd probably change things like the bottom bracket and the saddle if I got it. Still, V-brakes is something I really want. But I also wish I had clearance for 2.4" slick tires and fenders. I know the Norco Indie has clearance for 2.4" tires because I measured it with a piece of cardboard in a store.

Here's the dilemma. The Norco Indie has disc brakes. But I think the Batch Bicycles Lifestyle probably doesn't have the clearance for 2.4" tires. So if I have an obsession with getting V-brakes and 2.4" tires, which one is the more stupid of the two?
How big of a tire can fit on the Lifestyle? In 27.5 is there a tire in between 2.4 and 1.95 you’d be ok with? Why do you prefer V-brakes over mechanical discs?

I guess those might be good starting questions. Seems like a nice bike to me.
Old 09-19-21, 04:09 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
Perhaps dumb polls are worse obsession
Likes For fishboat:
Old 09-19-21, 09:48 AM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Originally Posted by SkinGriz
How big of a tire can fit on the Lifestyle? In 27.5 is there a tire in between 2.4 and 1.95 you’d be ok with? Why do you prefer V-brakes over mechanical discs?
I guess those might be good starting questions. Seems like a nice bike to me.
I don't really like the metallic sound of disc brakes. To my surprise, the mechanical disc brakes on the CCM Sutherland I bought at Canadian Tire actually started working well and with less noise with more use. But, I still like the smooth sound of V-brakes (especially with Jagwire brake pads). I have no idea on the tire clearance.

Originally Posted by fishboat
Perhaps dumb polls are worse obsession
Well, with 0 votes I guess people got tired.
Old 09-19-21, 01:55 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
I'm with you on the brakes. I have had and still have several bikes with disc brakes, and none of them have the smooth quiet stopping power of a good rim brake. I do love the strong power of hydraulic discs, but my linear pull brakes are just as strong. And I'll be honest -- I never ride in wet/muddy conditions where discs really do have a material advantage. Both types of brakes have pros and cons, and I've come to decide that I just don't ride in conditions where disc brakes "shine" so to speak. I'm not selling my disc brake bikes, but disc brakes also aren't a "must have" for me anymore.

I have a set of Tektro Mini-Vs with the basic Jagwire pads on my Trek 750 and that bike stops as smoothly and as surely as any other bike I've owned. I also have another bike or two with Kool-Stop salmon pads on their rim brakes and those pads are really nice as well. I have been pleasantly surprised at the effectiveness of the Jagwire pads, though.

Anyway, yeah, I'd buy the rim brake bike if it has other attributes that you like (such as the tire clearance).
Old 09-20-21, 09:06 PM
surveyor6

Bikes: 1961 Higgins Flightliner

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 70 Posts
I have become obsessed at times with the rear "U" brakes mounted under the chain stays in the earlier MTB days. Maybe its the BMX vibe. No fun when its muddy.
I have never had much luck with side pull MTB brakes. I even bought a set of XT side pulls. They were smoother, but not satisfactory to me.
The center pull rim brakes used in the early 1990s were my faves. I could make them respond to my liking.
Old 09-21-21, 07:23 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2973 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
I have had and still have several bikes with disc brakes, and none of them have the smooth quiet stopping power of a good rim brake.
This simply isn't true.

Where do people come up with this stuff?
Old 09-21-21, 07:38 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by prj71
This simply isn't true.
Someone's personal experiences are what they are. The are by definition true. It is definitely true in my personal experiences that there is nothing I can do to stop my disk brakes from squealing.
Likes For kingston:
Old 09-21-21, 01:37 PM
hokiefyd 

This simply isn't true.

Where do people come up with this stuff?
You're telling me that my disc brakes aren't louder than my rim brakes...??!! Huh! My ears must be playing tricks on me!
Old 09-21-21, 02:16 PM
prj71

I currently have 7 disc brake bikes in the stable. None of them make any noise. The only one that will occasionally make noise is my fat bike and that's only because sometimes snow gets on the brake rotor and pad and they squeal. Once they dry up they are quiet. The other 6 bikes that have disc brakes have never made noise once.
Old 09-21-21, 02:22 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

I have one disk brake bike in the stable and have ridden it tens-of-thousands of miles in all conditions. The only thing I can do to keep it from squealing is replace the pads and not ride it in the rain.
Old 09-21-21, 02:29 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 488 Posts
These things do not exist in a vacuum; the reality is that a new 27.5 wheeled bike with V brakes is a low end bike with hi-ten or straight gauge Al frame and fork. If you want 2.4" and caliper brakes, look at 90s 26" MTBs for nice frames that don't suck. I have a bunch; I've got Us, Vs, cantis, you name it. A modern quality frame will most likely have disc mounts, and thru axles.

Regarding noisy disk brakes, sorry not my experience. I've been on hydraulics since 2000, currently have XT, GRX, SLX, and Deore brakes. All quiet. Have worked in shops and worked on many, many hydraulic brakes of all brands. Recently built up a Campagnolo bike with disks, quiet. All brakes can make noise, its important to know what causes them and how to eliminate them.
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 09-21-21, 02:35 PM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
I'm with you on the brakes. I have had and still have several bikes with disc brakes, and none of them have the smooth quiet stopping power of a good rim brake. I do love the strong power of hydraulic discs, but my linear pull brakes are just as strong. And I'll be honest -- I never ride in wet/muddy conditions where discs really do have a material advantage. Both types of brakes have pros and cons, and I've come to decide that I just don't ride in conditions where disc brakes "shine" so to speak. I'm not selling my disc brake bikes, but disc brakes also aren't a "must have" for me anymore.

I have a set of Tektro Mini-Vs with the basic Jagwire pads on my Trek 750 and that bike stops as smoothly and as surely as any other bike I've owned. I also have another bike or two with Kool-Stop salmon pads on their rim brakes and those pads are really nice as well. I have been pleasantly surprised at the effectiveness of the Jagwire pads, though.

Anyway, yeah, I'd buy the rim brake bike if it has other attributes that you like (such as the tire clearance).
Aha! At least one person has the audacity to say out loud what some other people might be thinking. I think rim brakes can be as good in most circumstances except maybe emergency braking or in wet conditions. I still prefer the feel of rim brakes. I read the dual compound Kool Stop can be better than salmon in that they don't get smooth during storage.
I think cheaper bikes can have v-brakes and most commuters don't need Deore. I can survive with Tourney (or Altus, Acera, Alivio) although you can change parts like shifters because I prefer RapidFire shifters to grip shifters. And I usually change things like the saddle or even tires etc.
As far as I know, it might be necessary to change the bottom bracket on the Batch hybrid. I've tried square taper bottom brackets from Shimano, Stronglight and Suntour although I find Shimano has a slight edge.
Old 09-21-21, 02:42 PM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Originally Posted by hybridbkrdr
I think rim brakes can be as good in most circumstances except maybe emergency braking or in wet conditions.
Sure.

MTBs drove these brake innovations and they shine in MTB applications and allowed MTB frame design to flourish. For riding around the block, any brake will stop you, nobody says otherwise.
Old 09-21-21, 05:17 PM
hokiefyd 

Regarding noise, I'm not even talking squeal. Disc brakes ideally don't squeal, and rim brakes ideally don't squeal. I'm talking simply about the metallic sound of semi-metallic pads scraping a metallic rotor. And it's not even a solid rotor. The rotors have vent and debris-clearing slots and holes. All of this adds to the general "usage noise" of the brakes.

In contrast, rim brakes smoosh a relatively soft rubber brake block against a smooth brake track on a rim. Nothing is quieter than that, at least in my experience.

That's the quieter I'm referring to, and that's the quieter that I suspect hybridbkrdr is referring to as well.
Old 09-22-21, 08:43 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by kingston
I have one disk brake bike in the stable and have ridden it tens-of-thousands of miles in all conditions. The only thing I can do to keep it from squealing is replace the pads and not ride it in the rain.
Probably the result of cheap brakes, cheap brake pads, cheap rotors.

The good stuff makes zero noise.
Likes For prj71:
Old 09-22-21, 09:02 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Probably the result of cheap brakes, cheap brake pads, cheap rotors.

The good stuff makes zero noise.
BB7's. They're terrible.
Old 09-22-21, 09:56 AM
prj71

Makes sense. Cheap mechanical disc.
Old 09-23-21, 08:05 AM
DorkDisk

Regarding noisy brakes, I meant no noise, not just squeal. If any of my bikes made noise when braking for no reason, I'd throw it into the the East River.
Old 09-23-21, 08:16 AM
OldRailfan
Old enough, hmmm?

Bikes: DeVinci, Bianchi, Nishiki, RBSM Mud Adder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 82 Posts
Originally Posted by DorkDisk
Regarding noisy brakes, I meant no noise, not just squeal. If any of my bikes made noise when braking for no reason, I'd throw it into the the East River.

Very drastic!