Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

(How) Can an adult learn to ride?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

(How) Can an adult learn to ride?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-20, 01:17 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
I have ridden bikes my entire life. I barely recall learning how and it was on training wheels that I had Paw Paw take off so I would quit getting stuck in ruts on the dirt road. Most of the bikes were diamond frame. I rode a recumbent trike for a couple of years.

A friend of mine has a two wheeled bent that is simply impossible for me to grasp how to take off on. I flop over like a cat on a leash.
Old 12-02-20, 01:56 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,526 Times in 551 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
You don't explain counter-steering. You experience it first, then master it unconsciously. It cannot be explained to a normal person anyway. It's like believing in Santa. Don't screw it up.

“Seeing isn't believing. Believing is seeing.” - elf-Judy, The Santa Clause
Take a motorcycle riding class and it is one of the first things they teach you and I've never once heard anyone say it made things more difficult. I have to disagree about making it confusing. What could be better than explaining why the bike is doing the opposite of what they are trying to do. Might help eliminate all the wobbling learners do, while they subconsciously figure it out.