Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1980s Bianchi Piaggio rebuild

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 11-20-20, 01:41 PM
koenbro 

Bikes: 1994 Trek 520, 1987 Bianchi Brava, 1962 Ideor Super

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 13 Posts

I am trying to rebuild my daughter's 1980s Bianchi Piaggio. She converted it to a single gear years ago, but kept the derailleurs and wants it back in the original configuration. I am confused about how to attach the RD to the frame -- there is no dropdown. There is no evidence of a cut in the frame, though. How do I go about connecting it? Thank you all

Last edited by koenbro; 11-20-20 at 01:45 PM.
Old 11-20-20, 02:03 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 602 Posts
Hi. These claw mounted ones are basically going into the dropout where the wheels' hub go. But you are goung to need its small bolt and nut which holds it there. As you see the nut has a rounded back so once you put it o the rd it slides into the dropout then the slot on the rd and the dropout will align so the hub can slide in
Old 11-20-20, 03:04 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,297 Times in 3,632 Posts
@koenbro

I would use this opportunity to upgrade that RD.

You are going to probably need to go to the co-op if you have one near for the special nut and bolt.

One of the venerable Suntour RD's from the time would be much better, they should have a few or someone here will.

The nut and bolt may be difficult to find as many go missing just like yours if that's the case.

I would encourage you to post in the ISO/WTT thread for this too.

You can just jse a regular one in there for now, may have to grind some down but the axle/bolt/skewer hold the bulk in place when clamped, the little bolt keeps it from trying to rotate.

Looks like you are in a pretty serious shop so hopefully you can fab something up.

Last edited by merziac; 11-20-20 at 03:09 PM.
Old 11-20-20, 03:25 PM
Lattz

Bikes: 80s Alan Super Record, 79' Somec Special, 90s Rossin(?) Columbus Ego Triathlon, previously: Bianchi SBX Reparto Corse (stolen) and so on...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 602 Posts
Originally Posted by merziac
@koenbro
naja... also an option
Old 11-20-20, 06:16 PM
koenbro 

Originally Posted by Lattz
Hi. These claw mounted ones are basically going into the dropout where the wheels' hub go. But you are goung to need its small bolt and nut which holds it there. As you see the nut has a rounded back so once you put it o the rd it slides into the dropout then the slot on the rd and the dropout will align so the hub can slide in
You are a prince among men. Thank you.

As it turns out, she kept that part (and I was wondering what that's for until your post) so now I have installed the RD (and the FD), have redone the brakes, and moved up the levers to the correct position (she had them way too low) and am waiting fore my LBS to return the rear wheel (I did not have the tool needed to remove the single sprocket freehub and put the original 5-speed cassette back. So I dropped it off today and they will have it back in a few days.

I believe this bike had the shifters mounted on the stem -- at least the down tube did not have any scratch or compression marks from the shifter ring. Anyway I mounted the shifters on the stem.

Thank you all for the input. This forum is simply fantastic. Hope I can repay or pay forward the multiple favors I have received.

Last edited by koenbro; 11-20-20 at 08:38 PM.
Old 11-20-20, 06:23 PM
koenbro 

Originally Posted by merziac
@koenbro

[...]
I would encourage you to post in the ISO/WTT thread for this too.

100% agree. If it were me I would just replace/upgrade the components, which is what I did with my daily ride, a 1994 Trek 520 tourer. Thing is, she wanted the restoration, and after she rides it for a while, will then see what to replace and upgrade. She has never ridden a derailleur bike before; this was a Goodwill find and I think it's quite a fine bike (frame Made in Taiwan, so not a collector item, but has beautiful classic steel lines that I love so much) so will need to wait and see.

What is ISO/WTT btw?
Old 11-20-20, 07:05 PM
Hobbiano 

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 230 Posts
In search of / want to trade.
Old 11-21-20, 12:20 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Originally Posted by koenbro
100% agree. If it were me I would just replace/upgrade the components, which is what I did with my daily ride, a 1994 Trek 520 tourer. Thing is, she wanted the restoration, and after she rides it for a while, will then see what to replace and upgrade. She has never ridden a derailleur bike before; this was a Goodwill find and I think it's quite a fine bike (frame Made in Taiwan, so not a collector item, but has beautiful classic steel lines that I love so much) so will need to wait and see.

What is ISO/WTT btw?
The "upgrade" Suntour would be a vast improvement over the very lackluster bottom of the barrel one that you have and could very well be the make or break for her to get in the shifting groove that many of these bikes had as well.

It would likely be minimal outlay and could be moved along to other builds if necessary.

In Search Of/Looking for thread in the top section of the front page.
Old 12-14-20, 08:43 PM
koenbro 

Brand new Shimano levers

DD did much of the work.

As a followup -- we finished the repairs and tuneup today. Used the old RD but swapped out the old 5-speed cassette with a 7 -sp one. The friction shifter/RD combo was able to accommodate it and the new 9-sp chain. Shifts well, and she loves it.

The old brake levers were binding and the hoods were very uncomfortable so we replaced them with brand new Shimanos that are smooth and have comfy hoods.

The banana yellow bar tape was the customer's choice and she did the taping after watching Calvin Jones' video on YT. So now she know to go look for Park Tool videos for bike questions.

Overall a nice project and wonderful time spent together.
Likes For koenbro:
Old 12-14-20, 09:40 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,897 Times in 889 Posts
Made me smile.

And she did a fantastic job wrapping those bars.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 12-15-20, 01:11 PM
merziac

@koenbro and daughter,

Great work!