Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do consumer grade Walmart bikes need disc brakes?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Do consumer grade Walmart bikes need disc brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-21, 11:36 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts

These type of threads bring out the very best of BikeForums. Carry on, you heros!
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 05-04-21, 12:11 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10413 Post(s)
Liked 11,874 Times in 6,081 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
If riding a $2,000 bike puts one in the "elite segment of of serious bike market" than I must be a .1%-er. My frame would cost probably more than twice as much as that to replace today, not to mention the fork and everything else. But don't hate me for it.
I'm sure we can find other reasons.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-04-21, 12:12 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by cb400bill
WalMart wants to sell bikes. Disc brakes, just like suspensions, helps WalMart sell those bikes. It really doesn't matter to WalMart whether these items are beneficial or not.
Bing - and I cannot stress this enough - go.

Old 05-04-21, 12:14 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Troul
i use the word helfart or failfart, poopmart, shartmart. Pretty much never the official name lol
Shop smart! Shop S-Mart!

Old 05-04-21, 12:29 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
I bet a walmart bike with these shiny things will sell much more than one with V-brakes.
Old 05-04-21, 01:43 PM
rickpaulos

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 88 Posts
I manage a local bike coop and the coop gets scores of boxmarts bikes with disc brakes. Wallyworld has been selling bikes with disc brakes for 15+- years.
The bso disc brakes are rubbish just like the bikes. Brake pads as small as a dime is standard. Noisy, a ***** to adjust to get them working at all. I see the discs rusted. Calipers seized up from water and corrosion. All the mounting bolts solid rust. Plain steel cables rusted solid in the housing. Plastic levers that have so much flex you can't lock up a rear wheel with discs. They resell fast because everyone thinks they want disc brakes. A cast aluminum v-brake with fresh pads will out perform any Promax or Quantex or other garbage disc caliper. It is the same for every bike component. Some are good some are junk. The overall design doesn't determine "good". It's the material choices and implementation that makes one better than another. Upgrading to a good disc brake (Shimano, Tektro, Avid, etc) on the front of a bso will surely destroy the cheap welded steel fake-shock forks all that much sooner or mangle the headset bearing cages with too-few bearings in it to handle sever braking loads. A recipe for a header. I don't see Walmart ever selling a bike with a useful disc brake.

Last edited by cb400bill; 05-04-21 at 02:01 PM. Reason: please do not change the spelling of words to bypass forum censor
Likes For rickpaulos:
Old 05-04-21, 01:51 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 996 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 690 Posts
Originally Posted by Outrider1
No bike "needs" disc brakes.
Thank you. I basically came in here to say that. Decades of pro cyclists bombing down mountains at 50+mph means disk brakes were never "needed". I still want them, of course.
Old 05-04-21, 01:55 PM
rickpaulos

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 88 Posts
Originally Posted by Charliekeet
cb400bill makes a very good point, but I wonder whether a lot of shoppers are having a desire to buy created by the presence of discs. Suspension is super-obvious and understandable to noobs... other advancements, maybe not so much
I get bikes at the local coop every saturday with a sticker that reads "SHIMANO Equiped" and there is often just 1 lowest grade Shimano part on the bike. It's usually a rear derailleur that is made of stamped sheet metal and plastic with riveted on jockey wheels. Do buyers know that "Shimano is better"? Or is just having the sticker enough implied prestige to make the sale. It might add $1 to the cost of the bike but it's a selling point just like shock forks, full suspension, disc brakes, etc. Calling your own products "Quality" is bogus but the whole point of advertising is to get more buyers.
Old 05-04-21, 02:22 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by rickpaulos
I get bikes at the local coop every saturday with a sticker that reads "SHIMANO Equiped" and there is often just 1 lowest grade Shimano part on the bike. It's usually a rear derailleur that is made of stamped sheet metal and plastic with riveted on jockey wheels. Do buyers know that "Shimano is better"? Or is just having the sticker enough implied prestige to make the sale. It might add $1 to the cost of the bike but it's a selling point just like shock forks, full suspension, disc brakes, etc. Calling your own products "Quality" is bogus but the whole point of advertising is to get more buyers.
Right, good point - they’re highlighting SOMETHING (“Shimano equipped”) and apparently even buyers who don’t know what the heck that means are conditioned to pay attention when a sticker tells them to!
Old 05-04-21, 02:58 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Charliekeet
Right, good point - they’re highlighting SOMETHING (“Shimano equipped”) and apparently even buyers who don’t know what the heck that means are conditioned to pay attention when a sticker tells them to!

Shimano makes great stuff. It also makes crap, It has somehow managed to keep the reputation of the good stuff flow to the crap without the reverse happening. Definitely an impressive feat of branding.

Now that I think about it, maybe not that hard to explain. The people who would actually pay for the good stuff are discerning enough to know the difference from the crap, while people looking for ultra-cheap bikes probably aren't.

Last edited by livedarklions; 05-04-21 at 03:01 PM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-04-21, 03:14 PM
CheGiantForLife
Banned

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Not even one reply from OP yet.
Looks the the thread got derailed b/c of the Walmart mention.

Let's try again. Modern cars no longer use drum brakes. Even the cheapest cars use disc brakes.
Is the bike market also headed that way, from Huffy to Giant to Trek and all in between.
Is there a price point where rim pad brakes still make sense 50 years from now, or are they an obsolete safety hazard ?
Old 05-04-21, 03:36 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Gee, will we get another five pages without the OP ever showing up again. Seriously, these nonsense posts are getting tiresome.
Likes For phughes:
Old 05-04-21, 03:56 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife
Is there a price point where rim pad brakes still make sense 50 years from now, or are they an obsolete safety hazard ?
A properly adjusted good quality rim brakes with good quality brake pads can have as much stopping power as disc brakes, so I wouldn't call them a safety hazard....Cheap disc brakes used on some WallMart bikes are more of a safety hazard then rim brakes on a more expensive brand name bike.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 05-04-21, 04:12 PM
phughes

Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by rickpaulos
The horror.
Old 05-04-21, 06:21 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 806 Times in 407 Posts
No bike "needs* disk brakes.
Old 05-04-21, 06:27 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Quoted: 1247 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
No bike "needs* disk brakes.
No bike “needs” a saddle
Old 05-04-21, 07:08 PM
Oldsledz

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 80 Posts
Once we get the disk brake thing settled , can we decide how many gears a bike should have? My area is vary flat, on the roads you shouldn't need more than a 3 speed.
Likes For Oldsledz:
Old 05-04-21, 07:34 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,965 Times in 1,915 Posts
bicycles don't neeeeeeed cage mounts.
Old 05-04-21, 10:19 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I can't speak for the cheapest bikes, but I know that there's a growing preference for disc brakes among entry level and "casual" cyclists. I've known more than one person who has tried out a bike with disc brakes, and is instantly a convert and evangelist for disc brakes. One friend thinks the difference is so profound, that bikes with rim brakes are outright dangerous and should be banned. He asked me: "When are you going to get disc brakes on your bikes?" People form the impression that disc brakes are more secure and effective. Whether this is real or not, is another matter. Folks tell their friends, and then everybody wants disc brakes.

I believe part of the problem is that many people are comparing new disc brakes on good bikes, to poorly maintained, deteriorated vee brakes with hardened pads on old bikes. That's not a fair comparison, but it's what they experience. When they try out one of my bikes with well maintained dual pivot calipers, they agree that they're pretty snappy. To make a case for rim brakes, you have to make them work.

This isn't an argument pro or con disc brakes, but a glimpse into how people experience bikes.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 05-05-21, 07:01 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
I'm sure we can find other reasons.
My killer gamms.
Old 05-05-21, 10:30 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3659 Post(s)
Liked 5,405 Times in 2,745 Posts
Originally Posted by CheGiantForLife
Looks the the thread got derailed b/c of the Walmart mention.

Let's try again. Modern cars no longer use drum brakes. Even the cheapest cars use disc brakes.
Is the bike market also headed that way, from Huffy to Giant to Trek and all in between.
Garbage in, garbage out. Repeating the process will not result in a different outcome.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-05-21, 10:41 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
bicycles don't neeeeeeed cage mounts.
LOL I grew up in a family where things like bottle mounts were viewed as unnecessary expenditures. I was 12 or 13 or so and a friend got a new bike with bottle mounts.... Actually, they might've even been some sort of add-on thing that attached using hose clamps. I wanted to get one for my bike too. My mom said I shouldn't ride so far away that I'd get thirsty!
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 05-05-21, 12:16 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by Outrider1
No bike "needs" disc brakes.
Oh I wouldnt say that. How about a rider coming down a mountain in the rain with clay mud that turns his rim brakes into little more than added weight?

Time to give up that wrong headed thinking. At 83 years old I have seen things like clipless pedals and click shifting being rejected by the "real cyclist" for a long time. But just like those two disc brakes are superior and and will finally be accepted as the norm.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 05-05-21, 12:39 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,965 Times in 1,915 Posts
Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
LOL I grew up in a family where things like bottle mounts were viewed as unnecessary expenditures. I was 12 or 13 or so and a friend got a new bike with bottle mounts.... Actually, they might've even been some sort of add-on thing that attached using hose clamps. I wanted to get one for my bike too. My mom said I shouldn't ride so far away that I'd get thirsty!
Growing up, all the cage mounts were in some way no useable. So when liquid was needed, I'd look for a garden hose attached to a house & purge it before replenishing. Sometimes I wonder how I made it this far in life. lol
Old 05-05-21, 01:12 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
If riding a $2,000 bike puts one in the "elite segment of of serious bike market" than I must be a .1%-er. My frame would cost probably more than twice as much as that to replace today, not to mention the fork and everything else. But don't hate me for it.
Pics please!
Just kidding...
Likes For Reynolds:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.