Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you chase clouds?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Do you chase clouds?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-21, 10:07 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3422 Post(s)
Liked 3,559 Times in 1,789 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I'll have to disagree, but it's been three years or a bit more since I've had to deal with 105° Temps.

My minimum speeds go up, but still, 18 mph and it's comfortable enough.
As long as you're sweating, you can get a decent cooling effect at much lower speeds than 18 mph.

From a test I did many years ago:

Old 06-02-21, 10:50 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6187 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
Originally Posted by terrymorse
I'll have to disagree, but it's been three years or a bit more since I've had to deal with 105° Temps.

My minimum speeds go up, but still, 18 mph and it's comfortable enough. Time stopped has to be kept to a minimum sometimes the helmet comes off when stopped more than a minute. Climbs that slow me down have me pulling down my sunsleeves.

And of course I drain a 24 fl oz (700 ml) bottle in 30 minutes or less in temps that high. So routes with water stops beyond what I can carry are well considered.

Riding for those with lots of stop and go's will be a problem for extreme heat. I have few stops that get me from my house to the open roads with no stops.
As long as you're sweating, you can get a decent cooling effect at much lower speeds than 18 mph.
Yeah, I probably wrote that in a manner that might be confusing. I wasn't saying that you had to do at least 18 mph to cool yourself adequately. I simply was stating that when 18 mph or better in extreme temps that I'm really comfy and not feeling very much of the heat. Very much just a personal opinion of my comfort only.

I certainly am not good enough to maintain 18 mph during all my ride, but I can plan the routes so that I can average that speed. However I still ride some routes that I'm slower on because I'm still at a speed that keeps me from over heating. Though there are some routes with long slow climbs that I don't do in high heat.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 06-02-21, 02:45 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
I only chase a cloud when it looks like an Alligator-lizard. America has those.
Likes For drlogik:
Old 06-02-21, 02:49 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
Don't ask me how I got the chain tat, I think the grease jumped off my crank onto my leg looking to cool down.
ROFL!! One of the best quotes I've read on here in a good while. Thanks for the laugh!
Old 06-02-21, 03:41 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
I've changed my plans mid-ride to ride at right angles to a cloud's direction to miss rain. Recently changed to a diagonal to the cloud path and time trialed home to see only a couple of sprinkles.

The real fun with clouds was my days single handing my 15' sailboat on Puget Sound. The clouds were wind! More wind than I could go upwind in, but downwind, a pure blast! I'd spend 3/4s of my time going upwind and that last few minutes going like h*** and undoing all that work. So worth it!
Capsized a boat like that when I was a kid. Trying to go too steep into maybe 20knots? All 95lbs of me hiking out as far as I could.

Could of just let a little sail out, but what’s the fun in that?
Old 06-02-21, 03:45 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,963 Times in 1,913 Posts

louder the better.
Old 06-02-21, 08:38 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Rainbow story. 15 years ago on the bike that inspired my logo bike, climbing the not steep but 1000' hill out of the Tualatin Valley. Just over halfway there's two corners with sort straight between. Looks down at a farm and house. Rain bearing clouds, some sun. Seemed I was going to stay dry. So I'm just looking down (it's a beautiful overlook) and see an intense orange glow where the backyard turned unmaintained. No rainbow but this was clearly the end. Sadly, I chose to keep riding rather than triangulate the location, come back late at night and quietly dig up the pot of gold. Still regretting that choice.
Nah, you made the right call.

When my daughter was in maybe fifth grade she was having a snack after school when we had a thunderstorm and then the sun came out. We looked out the back door and there was a rainbow right in our back yard. It was clearly between us and the arbor vitae about 60 feet away. The left end of the rainbow ended at the back end of my wife's Fiat Cincquacento and the right end was by the garden bench. We could see both ends perfectly clearly and was no pot of gold at either end. I think we even got photos, but I can't find them now. Anyway, neither my daughter nor I was very disappointed, because neither of us had put much stock in that story anyway.
Old 06-03-21, 04:40 AM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 806 Times in 407 Posts
I once did a ride across the Everglades on a South Florida August day. It was blisteringly hot and humid, and on the route I took, there were no trees or buildings to provide shade.

The first half of that day went well enough, as a long time resident of the South, heat and humidity were as normal to me as eggs and bacon. But the huge amounts of sweat I put out stained my clothes white from dried salt, and there were salt crystals on my legs and arms. I had brought lots to eat and drink, but the heat was wearing me down. I found a spot were a creek passed under the road, and there were trees standing over it. I stopped to cool down and get out of the sun, only to be literally covered with mosquitos. I got back on my bike and toughed it out.

As anyone who lives in South Florida knows, summer afternoons almost always bring rain. As I was headed back, clouds started to appear, and the shade of a small cloud made a huge difference in temperature. Whenever a cloud passed over, I was like a dog being rubbed on its tummy. When the cloud passed, the misery returned. But the clouds got more numerous and pretty soon there was the usual thunder and lighting, and the torrential rain which comes with it. Being the tallest thing for as far as my eye could see in the middle ot a thunderstorm as rather alarming, and my overheated body became cold and shivering, the water on the road got about 2 inches deep.

As always with these South Florida thunderstorms, it was quite noisy and rainy for about 40 minutes, then the clouds broke up, and the sun returned. But by then I had reached the end of my ride.

Needless to say, I don't recommend riding in the Everglades in August.
Old 06-03-21, 11:39 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
When I was a very young child, I once was sitting at the window of my room watching the clouds blow by on a windy day. I decided I was going to memorize the shape of one of the clouds and then wait for it to circle all the way around the world and see it go by again. What a stupid little kid I was...
Old 06-03-21, 04:59 PM
alo

Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
I don't chase clouds, I chase speed.

Anytime I can be over 16 mph there is plenty of cooling air flowing around me no matter what the temperature. As temps get into the 90's and over 95°F I'll be riding routes that don't slow me down with climbs that keep me slowed down for very long.

My body seems to like riding in the hottest part of the day. Don't know why, but morning rides, evening rides and certainly rides before the crack of dawn just don't appeal to me.

Shade isn't as important for those routes that let me have higher average speeds. Sun protection is important, but that's already discussed in other threads.
I sometimes take it easy when there is shade from clouds or trees, and go fairly fast when there is direct sunlight, to get to the next shade quicker. I find riding fast increases my body temperature, but if it is not too far, it is still better than being out in the hot sun for a long time.

Where I am, the temperature is normally higher than where you are.

I got caught a couple of times with punctures recently. One time I had to walk on a muddy track, two km to where I could get a puncture repair. I stopped and cooled down a little under trees, a few times along the way.
Old 06-03-21, 05:24 PM
bikehoco

Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by alo
I sometimes sit at a shop, or under a tree, and wait for clouds before going further.
This is a joke, right?
Old 06-03-21, 05:35 PM
alo

Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by bikehoco
This is a joke, right?
No. It depends on how hot it is, and how much time you have.

I am not working. I don't normally need to rush home. Some days, I leave early in the morning, and don't return home until late afternoon. So I don't have a problem taking time to cool off.
Old 06-04-21, 09:18 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 5,625 Times in 2,914 Posts
On hot cloudless days, I plan my routes in forested areas to pretty much follow the shade in both directions. Yeah I know that not everyone has that type of convenience, but the shaded areas also come with pretty good climbs.

Old 06-08-21, 10:00 AM
DavidHawkins
Banned.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
And don’t go chasing waterfalls.
Old 06-08-21, 05:04 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by DavidHawkins
And don’t go chasing waterfalls.
Get your own material. See post #9.
Old 06-08-21, 05:15 PM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
I've unintentionally chased clouds only because they were going the same direction I was. Last week I was chasing a rain cloud and hoped I wasn't going to catch up.

I had thunder cell run a nearly parallel course with me once and took an hour before it finally caught and soaked me on a brevet.
Old 06-08-21, 10:24 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 5,625 Times in 2,914 Posts
In the PNW we run away from clouds because they usually contain rain. Like the ones that sprinkled on me today but luckily it didn’t pour, yet. Sorry PSW