Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

SRAM Rival or Ultegra Di2

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-05-21, 10:06 AM
ShaneFartick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Last year I ordered a specialized roubaix expert 2021 withUltegra Di2. Due to the Covid disaster it’s on back order and maybe I’ll get the bike later this summer. My dealer who specializes in rode bikes suggested that maybe I get the 2022 Roubaix Comp with the new SRAM rival Etap. He said it is $200 less and a little heavier. Any opinions out there. Other than the Groupset the bikes are nearly identical. Since the bike goes for either $4800 or $5000, the pricing is not an issue . But how much more is the weight? Does anyone have any experience with the SRAM rival. I have read that SRAM works like the etap red and force with heavier parts! Thanks. My existing bike uses 105 parts and is over 10 yrs old.
Old 06-05-21, 03:03 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
I've always been a SRAM guy so I'd go etap. They both work very well. Both companies have great CS. I think it's just a little easier to figure out potential problems w/ SRAM.
Old 06-05-21, 04:10 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 1,003 Posts
will you get the eTap sooner? If not, I would just stick with the Ultegra di2 since you are only looking at a $200 difference. I have the Ultegra di2 and love it.

Old 06-05-21, 04:50 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I have eTap and have ridden Di2 also... I'd get eTap.

I also like Coke over Pepsi.
Old 06-05-21, 06:58 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Shimano is more competent than SRAM; bigger company with more engineers. Shimano gear tends to have fewer rough edges (so to speak, not necessarily literally) and more attention to detail. Dura-Ace is bonkers stuff, basically money no object without blowing dough just for the sake of it like Campy - and all the best value elements of DA trickle down to Ultegra.

All that aside, with Rival being more or less equivalent to 105, a tier higher for $200 (at $5k, no less) is a no-brainer.

Unless of course you wanna be the first kid on the block with 3rd-tier electronic...
Old 06-05-21, 10:34 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
I prefer Di2 personally and find Shimano CS a lot easier to deal with, SRAM isn't bad but it always feels like more work for their stuff and Shimano is like yeah let's get you a label and we will get the new part sent out ASAP.

However the SRAM AXS stuff seems to be pretty solid and easy to deal with minus having 4 batteries (two in shifters and two on derailleurs) Plus the fit of their cable levers seems to gel with my hands really well. It is up to you in the end.

In terms of Cola Wars, RC baby, I don't want peasant cola I want Royalty! Though in terms of actual cola not old enough to be involved in the original cola wars, Virgils or Boylans is my favorite.
Old 06-05-21, 11:09 PM
ShaneFartick

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
6 of one or half dozen of the other

It seems like both sides of the coin are good. I am leaning towards Di2 but I would probably get whatever one comes in first.There are those who believe there is not much difference between 105/ultegra. I would say at my level 18-20 mph it won’t make much difference anyway. This is clearly not any agreement here. Realistically they are both good and I probably won’t ride any better with one over the other, BUT I think the Di2 2450 gms is bit lighter than the sram rival 3210 gms

Last edited by ShaneFartick; 06-05-21 at 11:14 PM.
Old 06-06-21, 07:22 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
The Di2 bike will probably be the soon to be outdated 11 speed version, unless shimano gets on the ball and finally starts producing 12 speed. That would make rival a no brainer for me. Right now, it's not known if the road version of shimano 12 will include the microspline freehub or not. That is also a major consideration. I switched from 25 years of Campy, including Chorus 12, to force axs 12 speed last July. No regrets.
Old 06-06-21, 07:31 AM
scottydonald

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts
I got a new bike in March and went Mechanical Ultegra - why? because I am waiting to get the 12 speed Shimano DuraAce or will go RED AXS.

I am very happy with the Ultegra and will wait; just wish Shimano would hurry up - heard dates of June 25 as the embargo date but some say this is now delayed.

Thing that is putting me off just jumping in to RED AXS is the reviews of the FD and seems to be lots of chain drops! so expensive and not as reliable as Shimano; also the liquid in the brakes is a nightmare to deal with compared to Shimano. Now some are saying RED AXS might be updated at the start of next year(RIVAL just got released).

In your case DI2 is a no brainer unless you want 12 speed.

Last edited by scottydonald; 06-06-21 at 07:35 AM.
Old 06-06-21, 10:58 AM
DaveSSS 

I've setup a sram axs FD 8 times now with 6 different cranks and had zero chain drops in almost a year. The cranks have been Campy chorus 12 and shimano grx that both offer more range.

I believe that the chain drops occur due to misalignment of the FD that occurs when the clamp bolt is fully tightened without rechecking the alignment. My FDs all rotated a little upon final tightening, so I carefully measure the gap between the end of the cage and the crank arm before and after tightening.

Another cause of drops is using the sequential or compensating modes. I have mine set to manual with a 2 sprocket limit if the shift lever is held down for a multishift.

My two force bikes haven't needed any tuning since being built-up.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 06-06-21 at 01:21 PM.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 06-06-21, 10:59 AM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 54 Posts
I have tried both Force AXS and Ultegra Di2. In the end I prefer the latter. Easier to get set up, and stays set up.
Old 06-07-21, 07:29 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
I recently updated my bike from Shimano 105 to Ultegra Di2 and a D-Fly wireless unit added to the mix. I could not be more pleased with this setup. With that said, though, I have never rode a SRAM-equipped bike.
Old 06-07-21, 05:03 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
I'd go with SRAM eTap over Di2 but I'd go for Force.

I built a bike a few years ago with Ui2 - worked great. Then I converted a previously mech bike over to electronic shifting and the obvious choice, because of no internal wire routing, was eTap. I liked it *so* much, when eTap Red went on sale, I bought the group, sold the Ultegra Di2 group and installed eTap. My wife also got an eTap Red set up and then a 1x AXS system on her new gravel bike.

For me, there is no question this was the right answer. I live in the frozen north and I do a lot of riding when it's cold. The double paddles on the Shimano shifters are impossible to get right or feel well with real winter gloves and are a nonstarter with mittens. Etap has none of those issues. It's also a lot cleaner installation and it's much better for when we disassemble our bikes for travel. A side benefit is that an entire group installation is about an hour even if you've never done it before. It's ridiculously simple.

Given a choice on a new bike, it would be - without question - AXS eTap for me. Pick your group, but eTap. Been there, done that.
Old 06-07-21, 06:22 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by JohnJ80
I'd go with SRAM eTap over Di2 but I'd go for Force.
He can get either Rival eTap or Ultegra Di2.... Force is not an option.

These days you need to take what you can get, if you want to be picky, you'll be waiting to 2023.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 06-07-21, 06:31 PM
2021BNero

Bikes: Bianchi Nero 57cm (2021 model)

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
E-tap is the bomb diggity!
Old 06-07-21, 07:35 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
He can get either Rival eTap or Ultegra Di2.... Force is not an option.

These days you need to take what you can get, if you want to be picky, you'll be waiting to 2023.
Missed that. Then I'd get Rival. Still better than Ultegra Di2.
Old 06-07-21, 10:03 PM
InvertedMP 

Bikes: 2021 Scott Addict RC 20

Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 269 Times in 104 Posts
I have had 11 speed eTap Red, and now I am on 12 speed Force AXS and I have loved both a lot. AXS is really great, super smooth and trouble free. I have zero desire to go to Di2.
Old 06-10-21, 11:45 AM
cj3209

Bikes: Pinarello; Canyon; Lauf

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 38 Posts
I've never used eTap but I've had issues with SRAM Force derailleurs on two bikes. My Di2 bikes have been solid so I will stay with Di2 - have no desire to switch to SRAM eTap.

As for 12-speed groupsets, I see no need for them as 11-speed is enough and there is actually overlap in a 2X setup. Now, I have a 1X 13-speed Campy Ekar that I really like on my gravel bike that I'm using as an endurance bike - manual. For me, it negates the need for a 2X electronic setup.

Lastly, I prefer not drinking soda at all - it kills your teeth and adds unecessary calories to your gut...but I digress...

Old 06-10-21, 02:12 PM
DaveSSS 

Anyone who can get by with 1x doesn’t have a lot of steep climbs, and/or is willing to give up top speed. If your view is narrow enough, 8 speed is dandy. I not only have 12 speed, I use the 10-36 cassette and a 48/31 or 46/30 grx crank to get 557% or 552% range.

11 speed is quickly coming to an end.

FWIW, I weigh 135, but I'm getting up in age. I still ride 5,000+ miles per year.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 06-11-21 at 07:01 AM.
Old 06-10-21, 02:26 PM
cj3209

Originally Posted by DaveSSS
Anyone who can get by with 1x doesn’t have a lot of steep climbs, and/or is willing to give up top speed. If your view is narrow enough, 8 speed is dandy. I not only have 12 speed, I use the 10-36 cassette and a 48/31 or 46/30 grx crank to get 557% or 552% range.

11 speed is quickly coming to an end.
LOL, my 42 / 9-42 gives me 467% range. I guess I don't have the steep hills that you do!

In any case, 13-speed 1X works for me but may not work for everyone.

Cheers!

Last edited by cj3209; 06-10-21 at 02:37 PM.
Likes For cj3209:
Old 06-10-21, 03:37 PM
colnago62

Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by cj3209
LOL, my 42 / 9-42 gives me 467% range. I guess I don't have the steep hills that you do!

In any case, 13-speed 1X works for me but may not work for everyone.

Cheers!
You might be lighter then him.
Old 06-10-21, 06:11 PM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
I've never used eTap but I've had issues with SRAM Force derailleurs on two bikes. My Di2 bikes have been solid so I will stay with Di2 - have no desire to switch to SRAM eTap.

As for 12-speed groupsets, I see no need for them as 11-speed is enough and there is actually overlap in a 2X setup. Now, I have a 1X 13-speed Campy Ekar that I really like on my gravel bike that I'm using as an endurance bike - manual. For me, it negates the need for a 2X electronic setup.

Lastly, I prefer not drinking soda at all - it kills your teeth and adds unecessary calories to your gut...but I digress...

I've never really wanted a Campy bike, but am very tempted by Ekar for my gravel bike. How do you like it? Do you have to do much fine tuning on it, or does it stay set up pretty well? My gravel bike has SRAM Apex which isn't bad, but... when I hop on my DI2 road bike it reminds me that it is not Di2 or even my older 10 speed Ultegra level of smooth.
Old 06-10-21, 06:23 PM
cj3209

Originally Posted by ericcox
I've never really wanted a Campy bike, but am very tempted by Ekar for my gravel bike. How do you like it? Do you have to do much fine tuning on it, or does it stay set up pretty well? My gravel bike has SRAM Apex which isn't bad, but... when I hop on my DI2 road bike it reminds me that it is not Di2 or even my older 10 speed Ultegra level of smooth.
During shipment of the bike, I think the bike got misaligned as I had trouble shifting into the largest rear cog so I tried to fool around with the H/L settings and promptly mucked it up. My LBS fixed it and since then, the shifting has been very good with no issues. I really like not having to worry about a front derailleur and can focus on a few gears climbing hills and descending hills; very very good. You have to get used to the thumb lever that shifts to a smaller cog and the brake lever which shifts to a larger cog but it's very intuitive and I can actually shift easily while on the lower slopes of my handlebars. With Ekar, you don't really need electronic shifting.
Old 06-10-21, 06:24 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by ericcox
Funny, I have Red eTap and my gravel bike has Rival CX1 and i'm amazed how smooth the Rival RD shifts.

Everyone is different, so it's great there are so many different groupsets so everyone can find what works for them.
Old 06-10-21, 06:40 PM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
During shipment of the bike, I think the bike got misaligned as I had trouble shifting into the largest rear cog so I tried to fool around with the H/L settings and promptly mucked it up. My LBS fixed it and since then, the shifting has been very good with no issues. I really like not having to worry about a front derailleur and can focus on a few gears climbing hills and descending hills; very very good. You have to get used to the thumb lever that shifts to a smaller cog and the brake lever which shifts to a larger cog but it's very intuitive and I can actually shift easily while on the lower slopes of my handlebars. With Ekar, you don't really need electronic shifting.
I've been watching prices. If a few things fall the right way the next few months I may treat myself. I am intrigued. I will have to convert the freehub to NSW, but I suspect I can find that pretty easy as I'm running dt swiss wheels.

Originally Posted by GlennR
Funny, I have Red eTap and my gravel bike has Rival CX1 and i'm amazed how smooth the Rival RD shifts.

Everyone is different, so it's great there are so many different groupsets so everyone can find what works for them.
We are truly spoiled for choice, and personal preference really matters. I'm not about to kick my bike to the curb - I love the Apex brakes and hoods and the shifting is fine. I do ride the gravel bike quite frequently, so it is definitely scratching an itch. I mean, if someone offered me a new bike with red or force, I wouldn't say no :-).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.