Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

To paint or not to paint?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-21, 09:39 AM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Bikes: Diamond Back Insight 2, Gravity Basecamp mountain bike, GMC Denali Road Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts

I have gotten everything off of the frame. The seat post came out smooth. It looks like the previous owner applied some anti-seize compound (though I am wondering why he didn't do that with the !@#$%^& fork.) I am thinking about taking it down to bare metal and re-painting it. I'll be doing it myself. It looks much better now that its been cleaned up. Thoughts, opinions, criticism.

PS: I know I am becoming the king of junk (some think they're junk, but I disagree.)
Old 06-09-21, 01:02 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
I like the idea of a repaint, and I’m thinking about doing it to one of my frames.The results I’ve seen from this stuff have been great: https://spraybike.us/
Old 06-09-21, 01:04 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
is really worth the time to repaint a junk????
Likes For aclinjury:
Old 06-09-21, 01:15 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
I am assuming it is a DIY paintjob. Aluminum can sometimes be difficult to paint if you take it to bare metal. You will need a good aluminum specific primer. I would be inclined to scuff the existing paint and feather and chips and paint over the existing paint. Try a small out of the way spot first to ensure the new paint does not react negatively with the old paint.

Actually it does not look that bad as is, but I can see your desire to paint as I hate labels like that 6061 Aluminum labels on the stays
Old 06-09-21, 01:49 PM
tendency

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by grizzly907la
I have gotten everything off of the frame. The seat post came out smooth. It looks like the previous owner applied some anti-seize compound (though I am wondering why he didn't do that with the !@#$%^& fork.) I am thinking about taking it down to bare metal and re-painting it. I'll be doing it myself. It looks much better now that its been cleaned up. Thoughts, opinions, criticism.

PS: I know I am becoming the king of junk (some think they're junk, but I disagree.)
I've done this a number of times and now achieve results that rival the best professional paint jobs I've seen (not to toot my horn too much! ). It does take practice. You'll probably wreck the first frame (or two) you try. Great thing is you can always start over My advice is to use a system all from the same vendor - so, same vendor for prime/paint/clear. Personally I only use duplicolor which is an acrylic laquer. Nothing beats a properly done laquer finish IMO.

My process is:
1) take frame for sandblasting
2) thin coat of etching primer on bare metal. let 'flash off' for an hour or so (depending on conditions).
3) apply couple coats of sandable primer. depending on how well the primer went on ill let it flash off for a couple hours then start painting. if there are imperfections in the primer I'll let it dry 24 hours then do a light wet sand.
4) apply laquer. this takes practice. i'll typically apply 9-10 coats building up progressively thicker. sometimes more.
5) let laquer fully cure for ~10 days.
6) wet sand/polish.
7) use the best clear coat you're comfortable using. really like Duplicolor 1K which is urethane based. If you know what you're doing the best clear is a 2K but highly toxic.
8) after clear has fully cured wet sand/polish (if necessary often is not).
9) enjoy!
Tip: ALWAYS follow directions from manufacturer on how/when to use their system.

Takes practice, time and patience but it's something I really enjoy. Once you get good at it you can achieve pro level finishes. Good luck!

NOTE - I only paint steel frames. Process, as mentioned above, has some caveats for aluminum.
Double Note - get a proper respirator to save lungs.

Last edited by tendency; 06-09-21 at 02:05 PM.
Likes For tendency:
Old 06-09-21, 03:03 PM
lexus1995

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Looks classy
Likes For lexus1995:
Old 06-09-21, 05:39 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
White bikes are the slowest.
Old 06-09-21, 05:56 PM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Bikes: Diamond Back Insight 2, Gravity Basecamp mountain bike, GMC Denali Road Bike

Originally Posted by aclinjury
One mans junk is another mans treasure. Plus I can use it as a beta test because I have some vintage steel frames I want to build up, and they do need to be repainted.
Old 06-09-21, 05:57 PM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Originally Posted by Bill in VA
I am assuming it is a DIY paintjob. Aluminum can sometimes be difficult to paint if you take it to bare metal. You will need a good aluminum specific primer. I would be inclined to scuff the existing paint and feather and chips and paint over the existing paint. Try a small out of the way spot first to ensure the new paint does not react negatively with the old paint.

Actually it does not look that bad as is, but I can see your desire to paint as I hate labels like that 6061 Aluminum labels on the stays
I could take the labels off via a heat gun. The Welligo one looks a little cheesy...the other ones don't really bother me.
Old 06-09-21, 05:59 PM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Originally Posted by indyfabz
White bikes are the slowest.
What if I paint it Cobalt blue?
Old 06-09-21, 06:09 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Yesterday I finished the last clear coat of an '89 Fuji Ace that I stripped to bare metal and rattle can spray painted it, probably the only one I will do. It is certainly nowhere near being a really well done paint job, but it looks pretty good. It is a lot of work and a lot of time. Not hard work per se, but tedious and messy. I did not want a high gloss, flashy finish, but more of a satin with just a bit of sheen. I am going to let it set for 10 to 14 days before I start doing any re-building on it. Also, I am still toying with the idea of some kind of decals, not Fuji Ace, but something like chevrons, shapes characters, etc.

I am pretty sure if I was to do another bike, I would get it powder coated. I have had that done to two framesets, and, IMO, it is a cost effective, work saving, durable option with thousands of color tones to choose from.

I need to do some light, wet sanding on it, and then polish it up.
Old 06-09-21, 07:51 PM
indyfabz

What if I paint it Cobalt blue?
Blue is the second slowest color, and isn’t cobalt toxic?
Old 06-09-21, 07:54 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,956 Times in 2,644 Posts
The paint alone would be worth more than the frame. I personally wouldn't waste the time. Unless the paint is exceptional damaged I wouldn't bother and even then I wouldn't bother unless you have free paint and free time.

Also NEVER CLAMP A BIKE BY THE TUBES!!!!!!! Seatposts are designed to be clamped the tubes on a frame are not.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 06-09-21, 08:05 PM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Blue is the second slowest color, and isn’t cobalt toxic?
Ok I give up...what's the fastest color?
Old 06-09-21, 08:07 PM
grizzly907la
Grouchy Old man

Originally Posted by delbiker1
Yesterday I finished the last clear coat of an '89 Fuji Ace that I stripped to bare metal and rattle can spray painted it, probably the only one I will do. It is certainly nowhere near being a really well done paint job, but it looks pretty good. It is a lot of work and a lot of time. Not hard work per se, but tedious and messy. I did not want a high gloss, flashy finish, but more of a satin with just a bit of sheen. I am going to let it set for 10 to 14 days before I start doing any re-building on it. Also, I am still toying with the idea of some kind of decals, not Fuji Ace, but something like chevrons, shapes characters, etc.

I am pretty sure if I was to do another bike, I would get it powder coated. I have had that done to two framesets, and, IMO, it is a cost effective, work saving, durable option with thousands of color tones to choose from.

I need to do some light, wet sanding on it, and then polish it up.
One of my obstacles is find a stand or something to hang it off, so I can paint it.
Old 06-09-21, 08:26 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
OP - Paint or not???

Who's got time to paint a bike during ridding weather? But, if its all apart ya may as well, cause if ya don't ya probably wont till its all apart again...
Old 06-10-21, 02:00 AM
Tony Marley

Bikes: Catrike 700; Bike Friday Llama single; Bike Friday Tandem Tuesday; Easy Racers Ti-Rush recumbent; Catrike Expedition; Rans Seavo tandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 29 Posts
The frame looks pretty nice as is, IMO
Old 06-10-21, 02:48 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
If you think a 6061 aluminum race frame is junk then you're definitely the new generation. And that Bikes Direct Windsor is probably a rebadged Specialized or something. Not cool to bash a man's bike. Unless it's a fixed gear with no brakes, green chain and pink rims.

I'd remove the aftermarket decals and go over the paint with some polishing compound. That will get rid of most of the little imperfections and black marks and bring the white back to life. Then touch up paint where needed and wax it. It's not in such bad condition where it needs to be painted, especially a cheap home paint job which will most likely peel pretty quickly.
Likes For Lazyass:
Old 06-10-21, 04:34 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts

If it's worth riding, nothing wrong with making it look good. And that's a one question mark question at best. It's op's time to allocate.
Old 06-10-21, 04:38 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by Lazyass
If you think a 6061 aluminum race frame is junk then you're definitely the new generation. And that Bikes Direct Windsor is probably a rebadged Specialized or something. Not cool to bash a man's bike. Unless it's a fixed gear with no brakes, green chain and pink rims.

I'd remove the aftermarket decals and go over the paint with some polishing compound. That will get rid of most of the little imperfections and black marks and bring the white back to life. Then touch up paint where needed and wax it. It's not in such bad condition where it needs to be painted, especially a cheap home paint job which will most likely peel pretty quickly.

I'd refrain from trash talking the green chain and pink rims, but no brakes is always fair game.
Old 06-10-21, 05:10 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

One mans junk is another mans treasure. Plus I can use it as a beta test because I have some vintage steel frames I want to build up, and they do need to be repainted.

I know nothing about paint, but is an aluminum frame a good beta test for a steel frame?
Old 06-10-21, 05:24 AM
indyfabz

Ok I give up...what's the fastest color?
Duh. Pink.
Old 06-10-21, 05:51 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I know nothing about paint, but is an aluminum frame a good beta test for a steel frame?
I am a long way from being an truly experienced painter. However, in my limited experience, other than what you prime with, and how you prime, the rest of the process is the same.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 06-10-21, 06:23 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
That Windsor frame looks fine to me as is. I'd simply use rubbing compound to clean up the scuffs and a bit of white touch up and wax and you're done.

I have painted two frames in the last couple of years. Each time it was a substantial amount of work and the results were only barely up to my own rather low standards. From 10 feet away, each looks terrific. From one foot, there are flaws due to my not knowing jack squat about applying paint. I'm good at a few things, but painting definitely isn't one of them.
Old 06-10-21, 08:23 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Duh. Pink.
No! Red!

Aaaaaaahhhhh!!
Likes For pdlamb:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.