Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

New road tires: Schwalbe Pro One vs Continental 5000

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-21, 03:10 AM
Cyclist0114

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey, I use Schwalbe Pro One 700x28c (2016 version, non-addix) on tubeless on my road bike, and they are pretty nice: good comfort, grip, they are fast...
But after less than 2000 km they have a lot of small damages and scratches. Nothing big, I have not used repair tool or tubes unitl yesterday: big trip (240 km), and a nail driven into rear tire... There was no chance for sealant to fix that, so I used tube and it was fine.
Right now thinking about new tires and consider two of them:

- Continental 5000
- Schwalbe Pro One Addix (new version)

Looking for comfort, I will not race, but I like fast short riders and long, slower rides (so mixed usage). 99,9% in dry conditions. My road bike is endurance and I can use 700x32c tires, but not sure it will be good choice, because I'm not heavy (~67 kg).
I'm also not sure about using tubeless vs tubes. Tubless is ok when it works.. but if not, it isn't good I still have to carry tube and/or repair tool. Checked some reviews and it looks like new Addix component on Schwalbe is... pretty bad? Yeah, it's strange, but probably they made regression instead of progress. On the other hand, Continental 5000 tubeless are pretty heavy... so maybe just use tubes?
Old 08-15-21, 05:34 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I'm heavier than you (100 kg) but ride an endurance road bike for short and long rides, been using tubeful GP5000s for about 3 years now. My priorities are flat avoidance, traction, speed and durability in that order.

I've only had one on road flat in about 7000 miles over those 3 years - a wire shard flat that I've never seen any tire stop. Had two other wire shard flats that caused slow leaks and I didn't notice the problem until I went to pump up the tires for the next ride. Never had a flat due to glass or nails or anything else - first time I can say that about a decent tire. The tire does get a lot of nicks - I guess the compound is made to be sticky.

Traction on wet roads is fine, seems pretty good on those spots that accumulate sand but definitely not up to the Schwalbe Marathons I use for touring rides. But definitely faster - on the repetitive short loops I do, the Strava times show the difference.

Tubeless made no sense to me - lots of maintenance, still have to carry CO2 and a tube and would have only saved me one annoying roadside repair in three years.

I'm using 32mm GP5000s, run them at 75 psi. I don't push tire life - been getting about 2,500 miles on the rear before the wear dimples are almost gone and I usually replace at that point.
Old 08-15-21, 08:38 AM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
If you like fast then 28, if you like comfort 32.

If you flat a lot go tubeless.. 3 flats a year, just run tubes. I love Continental Race Tubes btw.

My supersix came with Schwalbe pro one 25c. I removed them after 5-6 rides for tubed GP5000 28c I had no regrets! Even though I had hollowgram (Stan's) tubeless wheels I ran tubes.

Here is a vote for gp5000.
Old 08-15-21, 09:41 AM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 436 Posts
I have 32mm GP5K tubeless and 25mm Pro One 2016s but on different bikes, so difficult to make comparisons. I've not punctured with either in the past year and a half that I've run tubeless. I'm lighter than OP, enjoy running lower pressure, definitely had punctures and pinch-flats in the past when running tubes so there's no way I'm going backwards to tubed.

The GP5Ks are consistently tested to be the fastest practical (non-TT) tire to run if you don't want to faff around with latex tubes, and anecdotally people seem to have good luck with how long they last compared to all generations of Pro Ones, so if you want to try them out, go for it. The only issue is that GP5Ks are a big no for hookless rims.
Likes For surak:
Old 08-16-21, 12:28 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Hookless rims are the only reason I would even consider something other than GP5000 TL's. They are hands down the best road tires I've ever used. I prefer the 32mm size and find it to be just as fast as the 28mm version, but with a bit more cushion.

I have had zero flats since switching to tubeless over a year ago. If your rims are tubeless compatible, it seems like a no brainer to buy tubeless tires and ditch the tubes. The only downside is a bit of a learning curve on installing.