Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Using carbon road bike for light bikepacking/touring?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 08-30-21, 02:39 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts

I have a bike I love and don't really want or have the funds for a true "touring bike". I'm wondering if anyone has experience taking their carbon road bike and turning it into a bikepacking bike with frame packs, handlebar bag, etc.

I have an older full carbon Specialized Roubaix with rim brakes size 52 and am looking into possibly getting a custom frame bag if there isn't anything that quite fits. The bike has 28mm tires (that is the max it can take) and has plenty of gears (triple with 11-28 cassette). I know how to work on the bike inside and out and feel a lot more comfortable for longer trips than riding something I haven't had as much experience with.

I don't have a very good sense of how much additional weight I'd be adding, but let's say 20lbs max on top of my 150lbs. I would be riding primarily on roads and possibly light gravel.
Old 08-30-21, 03:16 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 263 Posts
Originally Posted by Symox
I'm wondering if anyone has experience taking their carbon road bike and turning it into a bikepacking bike with frame packs, handlebar bag, etc.
Lachlan Morton did it (5500 km, 65,500 m climbing) with his Cannondale SuperSix EVO race bike. https://cyclingtips.com/2021/07/lach...ve-days-early/
Likes For asgelle:
Old 08-30-21, 04:19 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
Lots of people have done this. Frame bags, seat bags (either old-school sideways Carradice bags or modern longways bags), handlebar rolls, etc. 20 lb is not a lot of extra weight to carry. A 52-cm frame obviously isn't very big, and even a half-frame bag will rob you of at least one bottle cage, so you'll need to sort out hydration.

Not clear if your bike has rack eyelets—if you're considering using a rack and panniers, make sure that heel strike won't be a problem. There are ways to work around lack of eyelets, but they can be inconvenient.
Old 08-30-21, 04:38 PM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Originally Posted by adamrice
Lots of people have done this. Frame bags, seat bags (either old-school sideways Carradice bags or modern longways bags), handlebar rolls, etc. 20 lb is not a lot of extra weight to carry. A 52-cm frame obviously isn't very big, and even a half-frame bag will rob you of at least one bottle cage, so you'll need to sort out hydration.

Not clear if your bike has rack eyelets—if you're considering using a rack and panniers, make sure that heel strike won't be a problem. There are ways to work around lack of eyelets, but they can be inconvenient.
Good point. No rack eyelets unfortunately
Old 08-30-21, 05:24 PM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
If you're willing to splurge a bit, there's tailfin racks for road bikes. I'd probably do touring on a race bike with one of those.
Old 08-30-21, 07:00 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Originally Posted by Branko D
If you're willing to splurge a bit, there's tailfin racks for road bikes. I'd probably do touring on a race bike with one of those.
I didn't mention this because they're so expensive, but I've got one. Top quality kit. Better than any other rack I've ever used.
Old 08-30-21, 08:44 PM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
What is your concern about a CF bike?
Old 08-30-21, 09:30 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,839 Times in 4,390 Posts
Bike, stuff, rider-around 190 pounds? I weigh more than that. The weight won't be a problem for the bike. You can get a seatpost rack to carry a duffel or even small panniers. You can add a handle bar bag and carry a backpack if needed.
Likes For big john:
Old 08-30-21, 10:12 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Do an image search on "transamerica race bike setup" for some ideas.
Likes For tyrion:
Old 08-30-21, 10:55 PM
Symox

Originally Posted by pgjackson
What is your concern about a CF bike?
All the touring bikes I've seen are steel so I assumed there was something about carbon that wasn't desirable
Old 08-31-21, 12:57 AM
rivers

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
I've used my carbon road bike and my carbon gravel bike for bikepacking. Both were absolutely fine. The only issue was my road bike did not have low enough gearing, but you have a triple, so you'll probably be okay on that front.
Old 08-31-21, 02:00 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
You'll want to switch to MTB shoes so you can walk around but otherwise this setup works well for me

https://www.wiggle.co.nz/topeak-backloader-saddle-bag
https://www.wiggle.co.nz/topeak-fuel-tank-bag-large-1
https://www.dillpicklegear.com/pickl...egory&path=264
Old 08-31-21, 02:22 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Old 08-31-21, 05:17 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,261 Times in 7,219 Posts
Do you already have the UL gear (eg, tent, sleeping bag, etc.)? If not, wait until you see the funds often required for that. If you’re in the US you might want to check out an REI sale.
Old 08-31-21, 06:30 AM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts
All the touring bikes I've seen are steel so I assumed there was something about carbon that wasn't desirable
Don't know about that. Maybe it's an assumption about cracking or something. CF is incredibly strong. If you do something to it that would damage CF it probably would have damaged steel or AL also. Adding 20lbs to your bike is no big deal. Most bikes are designed to carry riders up to 250lbs+. Or maybe it's that most CF frames are designed on the aggressive side and steel bikes tend to be more relaxed. There should be no issues touring with a CF bike if it's comfortable for you.

Last edited by pgjackson; 08-31-21 at 06:37 AM.
Likes For pgjackson:
Old 08-31-21, 07:14 AM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

There is something to that. If you're touring way out in the back of beyond, the village blacksmith could fix a steel frame, but not a carbon (or aluminum, or titanium) one. Similarly, you'll often see touring bikes set up with cable-actuated disc brakes instead of hydraulic, because they're easier to work on. But if you're touring in the lower 48, these concerns are less of an issue.
Old 09-15-21, 08:12 PM
Symox

I've been gearing up for a overnight bike touring trip. Here is what I have learned about using my carbon road bike as a touring bike:

1) It indeed can be used for lightweight touring and will do quite well in fact
2) weight in the main triangle via a frame bag has the least impact on handling of the bike
3) I don't like putting watter bottles on the stem/handlebar but putting it on top of the top tube doesn't seem to effect handling too much
4) I am not a fan of large saddle bags (10L for example) because they rub on my thighs. Surely there must be high quality ones that avoid this. I'd rather put a rack like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 on my bike and put a rack-top bag instead to keep things out of the way
5) Panniers may not work well on a road bike because of clearance of the shoe to the bags (most touring bikes have longer chain stays which avoids this)
6) I'm not a fan of handlebar bags due to the cabling of my brifters getting in the way
Old 09-15-21, 10:30 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 653 Posts
Point 5 can be compensated with setback rack system which is easily sourced.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 09-16-21, 06:48 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 957 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 423 Posts
I have a bike I love and don't really want or have the funds for a true "touring bike". I'm wondering if anyone has experience taking their carbon road bike and turning it into a bikepacking bike with frame packs, handlebar bag, etc.

I have an older full carbon Specialized Roubaix with rim brakes size 52 and am looking into possibly getting a custom frame bag if there isn't anything that quite fits. The bike has 28mm tires (that is the max it can take) and has plenty of gears (triple with 11-28 cassette). I know how to work on the bike inside and out and feel a lot more comfortable for longer trips than riding something I haven't had as much experience with.

I don't have a very good sense of how much additional weight I'd be adding, but let's say 20lbs max on top of my 150lbs. I would be riding primarily on roads and possibly light gravel.
Everything is possible as long as your arse & back can take it. Will it be as comfortable? No. But it's feasible. 28mm is also suited for gravel.

As for the bags, you could always buy one that straps around the top tube and another one under your bars. I'm guessing yours doesn't have any eyelets to mount accessories.
Old 09-17-21, 02:52 AM
Symox

Originally Posted by eduskator
Everything is possible as long as your arse & back can take it. Will it be as comfortable? No. But it's feasible. 28mm is also suited for gravel.

As for the bags, you could always buy one that straps around the top tube and another one under your bars. I'm guessing yours doesn't have any eyelets to mount accessories.
Why wouldn't it be as comfortable?
Old 09-17-21, 06:46 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts

This is a steel bike, but see no reason you couldn't tour with the same setup on a carbon bike. I pack light, this was a 4 day 3 night camping trip. Nice weather and not carrying cooking gear helps to keep the kit pared down.
Likes For c_m_shooter:
Old 09-17-21, 01:19 PM
rivers

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
This is my carbon road bike set up for bikepacking:
Fairly lightweight, no camping kit and staying in b&bs

This is my carbon gravel bike set up for bikepacking: camping and cooking kit included. Bit heavier. Both bikes coped fine. I would add so.e helicopter tape to protect the frame.
Old 09-17-21, 03:35 PM
Symox

Originally Posted by rivers
This is my carbon road bike set up for bikepacking:
Fairly lightweight, no camping kit and staying in b&bs

This is my carbon gravel bike set up for bikepacking: camping and cooking kit included. Bit heavier. Both bikes coped fine. I would add so.e helicopter tape to protect the frame.
That is a really nice rig!. However I found that saddlebags can really annoying me by rubbing on my thighs if they aren’t narrow enough where they contact the seat post. Do you have this problem with that saddle bag? If not what brand is it
Old 09-17-21, 04:15 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
It's not the frame, though a carbon "racing" bike might have insufficient low gearing to get the rider plus a load through Pennsylvania, it's really all about the wheels. I'd want a 32 spoke, double butted hand built wheel set as minimum. And I would not want to carry the load I'd put on a real touring bike.
Old 09-17-21, 04:25 PM
Symox

Originally Posted by Steve B.
It's not the frame, though a carbon "racing" bike might have insufficient low gearing to get the rider plus a load through Pennsylvania, it's really all about the wheels. I'd want a 32 spoke, double butted hand built wheel set as minimum. And I would not want to carry the load I'd put on a real touring bike.
Mines a triple with a nice range gearing for hills. Also the wheels are hand built with double butted spokes but they are 28 hole (I would agree that more is better, it’s just the rims that came with the bike). I’m doing lightweight bike packing. Less than 20lbs of gear. I weigh 150lbs so I don’t think the bike will be stressed much
Likes For Symox:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.