Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

2020 SuperSix EVO Seatpost Creak

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

2020 SuperSix EVO Seatpost Creak

Old 09-29-20, 12:13 PM
BlackMambaNYC
GO LAKERS

Bikes: 2020 Supersix EVO 105, 2020 TBT Single Speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by D.NYC
I'm intrigued by this solution. I've cut to a size a laminated business card and put Phil Wood grease on the card as well as the seat binder and inside the frame. I hope this works because I have tried everything else. I'll find out on Thursday. To be 100% sure, is it possible for you to ask the bike shop their exact method? This could be a saving grace for all of us here on this thread with the bone chilling Cannondale CRACKING noise at the seatpost. Please let us know. Thanks in advance.
Good luck! I just called the LBS and they said bring the bike in and he can tell me where exactly it went and I can try and get a photo. Will take me a few days but I'll get it done ASAP.
Old 09-29-20, 10:23 PM
matisupersix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi everybody! I from Argentina and I had the same problem with a Cannondale Supersix Evo 2020 Ultegra2 (Rims). I have a carbon frame with the Hollowgram knot aluminium seat post. I used torque, grease, and carbon grease according to the manual but in 3 months the creaking comes back!!! I don't' have a solution... Any comment I will appreciate!!!
Old 09-30-20, 04:47 PM
matisupersix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackMambaNYC
I'm not 100% sure exactly where they put it but my guess is near the sliding clamp right below the seal. Rode 150 miles over the weekend and still no noise. Give it a shot.
Dear BlackMambaNYC,

I have the same problem, yesterday clean Seatpost and clamp with Finish line carbon grease and Muck-Off premium and ride about 60km but de noise came back! Could you inform the detail of your solution?
Old 10-01-20, 04:36 PM
D.NYC

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackMambaNYC
Good luck! I just called the LBS and they said bring the bike in and he can tell me where exactly it went and I can try and get a photo. Will take me a few days but I'll get it done ASAP.
Just did a 30 miles ride with no spine chilling creaks or nerve racking cracks from the 2020 SuperSix seatpost assembly. A small sample size but I'm hopeful my solution of laminated business card along with Phil Wood grease will continue to work. Still would love to know your bike shops technique at your earliest convenience. Thanks again.
Old 10-02-20, 10:23 AM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Just did a 30 miles ride with no spine chilling creaks or nerve racking cracks from the 2020 SuperSix seatpost assembly. A small sample size but I'm hopeful my solution of laminated business card along with Phil Wood grease will continue to work. Still would love to know your bike shops technique at your earliest convenience. Thanks again.
Did the business card have a watermark, though?
Old 10-04-20, 11:31 AM
matisupersix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dear all,

please!!!!!!! could we share information about the solution? I tried different alternatives using grease but the creaking Seatpost returns after 100 kilometers. I tied the followingdifferents solutions:
  1. Finsih Line Carbon Grease in seatpost with Muc Off bio grease (frame and clamp side) --> works some months.
  2. Finsih Line Carbon Grease in seatpost with original golden grease (frame and clamp side) --> works 60 kilometers.
  3. All original golden grease --> not works
  4. Finsih Line Carbon Grease in seatpost with Muc Off bio grease (frame and clamp side) --> works only about 80 kilometers
now will try with the famous business card!

Thanks in advance/
Old 10-04-20, 02:37 PM
D.NYC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by matisupersix
Dear all,

please!!!!!!! could we share information about the solution? I tried different alternatives using grease but the creaking Seatpost returns after 100 kilometers. I tied the followingdifferents solutions:
  1. Finsih Line Carbon Grease in seatpost with Muc Off bio grease (frame and clamp side) --> works some months.
  2. Finsih Line Carbon Grease in seatpost with original golden grease (frame and clamp side) --> works 60 kilometers.
  3. All original golden grease --> not works
  4. Finsih Line Carbon Grease in seatpost with Muc Off bio grease (frame and clamp side) --> works only about 80 kilometers

now will try with the famous business card!

Thanks in advance/
So far so good! No snap, crackle or pop!!!

Here's my solution:

Remove seat post, then remove seat post assembly. Cut a laminated business card to fit the seatpost assembly on the "NGLI-2" side that grease is to be applied. Apply Phil Wood grease to the seatpost assembly NGLI-2 side, apply Phil Wood grease to the business card on both sides, apply Phil Wood grease to the inside portion of the frame where the seatpost assembly NGLI-2 meets the frame. Carefully reinsert seat post assembly with greased business card attached to seat post assembly's NGLI-2 side. Completely wipe any excess Phil Wood grease from seat post assembly CRB-GEL side. Apply Finish Line Fiber Grip to seatpost assembly CRB-GEL side. Apply Finish Line Fiber Grip to seatpost. Reinsert seatpost. Tighten seatpost assembly screw to the recommended 6nm torque. Happily ride your 2020 or 2021 Cannondale SuperSix Evo and listen to sound of your heavy panting as you climb any gradient more that 1 percent instead of your seat post assembly sounding like fireworks every time blink your eyes or any sort of movement or pothole!

WE SHOULD NOT HAVE TO DO THIS CANNONDALE!!!!!!

I sincerely hope this is a permanent solution and this works for everyone. Be safe and happy riding!
Old 10-04-20, 03:21 PM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
You guys deserve a full refund, seriously.
Likes For Mulberry20:
Old 11-02-20, 10:55 PM
Danvelz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Super six Evo carbon disc 105 creaking

Hi all, I bought my super six Evo back in July, I loved the bike but the same creaking coming from the seat post began, I have tried all to fix and the sound is still there. Please help if anyone of you guys find out a solution
Old 11-03-20, 07:33 PM
Mork44

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bring it back.

Originally Posted by Danvelz
Hi all, I bought my super six Evo back in July, I loved the bike but the same creaking coming from the seat post began, I have tried all to fix and the sound is still there. Please help if anyone of you guys find out a solution
j

Just solved after one year working with my local bike ship. Cannondale know the post is out of spec. Have your shop call Cannondale they will replace for free
Old 11-09-20, 01:20 PM
ampizarr

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO 2020; Cannondale FS-I 2019

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So far so good! No snap, crackle or pop!!!

Here's my solution:

Remove seat post, then remove seat post assembly. Cut a laminated business card to fit the seatpost assembly on the "NGLI-2" side that grease is to be applied. Apply Phil Wood grease to the seatpost assembly NGLI-2 side, apply Phil Wood grease to the business card on both sides, apply Phil Wood grease to the inside portion of the frame where the seatpost assembly NGLI-2 meets the frame. Carefully reinsert seat post assembly with greased business card attached to seat post assembly's NGLI-2 side. Completely wipe any excess Phil Wood grease from seat post assembly CRB-GEL side. Apply Finish Line Fiber Grip to seatpost assembly CRB-GEL side. Apply Finish Line Fiber Grip to seatpost. Reinsert seatpost. Tighten seatpost assembly screw to the recommended 6nm torque. Happily ride your 2020 or 2021 Cannondale SuperSix Evo and listen to sound of your heavy panting as you climb any gradient more that 1 percent instead of your seat post assembly sounding like fireworks every time blink your eyes or any sort of movement or pothole!

WE SHOULD NOT HAVE TO DO THIS CANNONDALE!!!!!!

I sincerely hope this is a permanent solution and this works for everyone. Be safe and happy riding!
Man, your solution totally worked for me...all the creaking comes from seat clamp interphase when the flexible frame does its thing. Putting something soft in the superior face of the clamp clearly damps the annoying sound. Kudos for you!
Old 11-15-20, 07:49 AM
supersix94

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, this works for me.

Bike grease on frame side of clamp, carbon paste on seatpost but a dab of bike grease on face of clamp, it's trying to slide up seatpost!

Last edited by supersix94; 11-15-20 at 07:50 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-28-21, 06:14 PM
D.NYC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ampizarr
Man, your solution totally worked for me...all the creaking comes from seat clamp interphase when the flexible frame does its thing. Putting something soft in the superior face of the clamp clearly damps the annoying sound. Kudos for you!
Glad it worked for you! I've been riding my bike without any more noises from the seatpost area since October. I hope this solutions works for everyone with the same issue. Safe riding all! PEACE!
Old 03-01-21, 11:38 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Glad it worked for you! I've been riding my bike without any more noises from the seatpost area since October. I hope this solutions works for everyone with the same issue. Safe riding all! PEACE!
I'm getting ready to attempt the same fix. Just to clarify, you put the cutout card where this diagram is pointing to on the NGLI-2 side, right?

Old 03-03-21, 07:41 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
For those wondering, it seems to have worked, had my first click/pop/creak free ride yesterday with D.NYC's card fix.

Also, I wasn't suspecting the seatpost at first when I was trying to track down the noise, because I was under the mistaken impression that it only affected carbon seatposts, and I have an alloy seatpost, but now knowing that it's actually the clamp/frame interface and not the clamp/seatpost, it makes sense.
Old 03-08-21, 04:24 AM
Pasc1978

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got a new 2021 Cannondale Supersix EVO Disc Ultegra Di2 ... and I have exactly the same issue. I really suspect an issue with manufacturing tolerances and it is very disappointing that they do not have this fixed. I loosened the clamp, moved the seatpost around a bit and retightened the clamp (with a torque key set to 6nm). This helped a lot (far less creaking then before) , but hasn’t fixed the issue completely. I will go back to dealer and request they have a look or order a new seat post if they can’t fix it. Very very disappointed by Cannondale .. I kind of regret my purchase when seeing that this is such a common issue.
Old 05-26-21, 09:17 AM
Synapse105

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am currently working with LBS and Cannondale rep to resolve this issue. They installed a carbon seat post versus alloy and the creaks still persist. I am interested in what others have to say about outcomes for frames under warranty.
Old 05-29-21, 08:29 AM
LeMuffin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2020 SuperSix Force Axs

Mine didn't creak at first, but started recently.

I undid the wedge and noticed that there wasn't much of the double-sided tape left to hold the nut in place. The only decent tape I had is this gel type tape used to hang stuff on walls. It's a bit thick at 0.7mm, but I cut it to shape the nut as per the Supersix supplement manual, at PAGE 17. Clean the pocket with some ISO alcohol and q-tip, place the nut and put pressure with my finger. Grease the wedge liberally on the surfaces indicated in the manual, carbon paste on the post and remaining wedge face. Finally insert the wedge and post.

When tightening, start with a progressive tightening, the first 3 NM will be to activate the tape and make sure the nut doesn't turn later on. Then finish off to 6NM.

That worked for me, no more creaking.

Other solutions the bike shop mentioned were, Teflon tape between the wedge and the frame, and finally what worked for another shop was putting a business card between the wedge and the frame.

hope that helps.
Old 06-01-21, 12:12 AM
lenzy30

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ello everyone, I have a Cannondale Supersix EVO Sram Force AXS for a year, at first the seatpost made no noise, but now it creaks a lot, I don't know what to do anymore, my mechanic has disassembled and greased the seatpost 1000 times and the clamp, now I'll try to put the double-sided tape (which is no longer there) and the business card. Where should the business card be placed?
Old 06-02-21, 08:15 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts

Sorry, I can’t resist. Anyway, this issue is still going on, huh?
Old 06-02-21, 11:07 PM
lenzy30

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hello, I put the business card, the noise has reduced considerably but every now and then it still creaks, I will try to put a bigger one and add more grease, then I also try to put the new double-sided tape on the nut against the frame
Old 06-03-21, 05:05 PM
incognitus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I found a solution for this problem. Have previously tried everything (different greases, replacement seat post, etc.).

The solution is Wakos brake protector V160. It is a Japanese product, originally a brake surface treatment product for the automotive sector, but is being praised as a magic cure for creaking bottom brackets. It is a silicon based boron nitride grease. It is not cheap (approx. $50 plus shipping), but super effective.

Long story short, I have tried a gazillion of tips/tricks to get rid of this annoying creak on my 2020 SS Evo. This is the only solution that worked, long term. I applied the grease on the whole wedge assembly, leaving out only the sides and the back side of the seat post (using carbon mounting paste on these), and torqued the bolt to 6nm.

The creaking is completely gone now for 6+ weeks.

Last edited by incognitus; 06-03-21 at 05:13 PM.
Old 06-23-21, 03:42 AM
mirlos

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nut base and Seatpost creaking solved under warranty

Hello, I have a Cannondale Supersix EVO Sram Force AXS 2020, bought it in November 2020. Awesome bike. But serious quality problems since the beginning. First big problem I had was with the nut base, which has rotated. Since I wanted to have a perfect bike I called my bike shop and they sent a new binder wedge with a new nut base. I cleaned the base with alcohol and glued in the next nut base (just as mentioned in the manual). But no luck again. It rotated again, after some rides you could see, that the one edge of the nut base worked its way into the carbon a bit.

I also tried some other 3m VHB tapes, and bought another wedge/nut base on my own costs. No luck, it never held its position when I tightened the wedge. Of course I also had the creaking. I also tried the hack in this thread with the card, and saw, that the latter end got squeezed very much. Because the seat post is getting pushed back while tightening (because of too much tolerance in the seat tube) the binder wedge is rotating and the latter end is touching the carbon with a lot of force (this is where the creaking emerges).

With this infos I contacted my dealer (angry of course)...and they sent it to Cannondale. They solved it by gluing in the nut base with 3K resin and also put some of that into the seattube to reduce tolerances. Looks not very nice on the inside...but it finally works. It's quiet and the nut base stays in place. Now I fell in love again with my new bike. I hope you all will get yours fixed as well.

Definitely a bummer in that price range.

Last edited by mirlos; 06-23-21 at 05:19 AM.
Old 08-19-21, 09:48 AM
barbeluk1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hi there,

I also have the creak/tick on my Evo.

Can anyone recommend a grease available in the UK please?

Also, a YouTube video I watched suggested tightening the wedge to 7-8nm. Is that a bit risky do you think?

Thanks,
Andy
Old 09-01-21, 03:12 PM
Pasc1978

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi,

Here the update on my issue: I gave my bike to the dealer for inspection, and he found some damage to the seat post. Cannondale replaced the seat post under warranty, now the creak problem has been solved.

Pascal

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.