Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Navigation on Garmin Bike Computers

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-21, 08:41 PM
oik01

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts

Any tips for navigation using the bike computer? Its annoying that you can't search out locations. I can navigate if I pinpoint a spot on the map by moving to it but I am new to the area and aren't familiar with all the locations. Its also time consuming. As it stands, I find my self going back to maps on my phone. There is an app that uses the MAPS feature to give directions on the garmin but the limitation is you cant see the speed and other features and it doesn't save the ride. Also there is no visual map just directions. Anyone doing it better than me?
Old 09-09-21, 08:56 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 5,630 Times in 2,918 Posts
If you use Strava, the maps feature there can be synced on your Garmin. Do you planning on Strava and then upload. If not, then there are probably more experienced users that can comment.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-09-21, 09:01 PM
oik01

Originally Posted by rsbob
If you use Strava, the maps feature there can be synced on your Garmin. Do you planning on Strava and then upload. If not, then there are probably more experienced users that can comment.
Strava as far as I can tell produces the routes without a specific address target in mind. I already do that well. What I'm looking for is a solution to this: your done with your ride and your friend tells you to meet them at coffee shop A. On Google maps, it's as easy as looking up coffee shop A and pressing go ... Any way I can emulate that on the Garmin to navigate to that specific location ? I have the edge 530
Old 09-09-21, 09:27 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 5,630 Times in 2,918 Posts
Originally Posted by oik01
Strava as far as I can tell produces the routes without a specific address target in mind. I already do that well. What I'm looking for is a solution to this: your done with your ride and your friend tells you to meet them at coffee shop A. On Google maps, it's as easy as looking up coffee shop A and pressing go ... Any way I can emulate that on the Garmin to navigate to that specific location ? I have the edge 530
That is the biggest complaint of Garmin users - lack of Google Map style functionality. Think there may be a special forum here on Electronics

Last edited by rsbob; 09-09-21 at 09:32 PM.
Old 09-10-21, 01:56 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 100 Posts
There are numerous apps that will let you devise a route and download it to a Garmin device. Whether any of those will allow you to download it over Bluetooth or WiFi without plugging into a computer I don't know.

It is possible to do what you want as follows: If you have a location saved you can use the Edge to navigate to it. If you haven't pre-marked a destination then you can browse the map under Navigation Options and then find a location and mark it. The top right button (...) allows you to toggle the left hand buttons between zooming and panning. It's quite cumbersome so it probably wouldn't be a great option for anything that's too far away. Once you have your location you then press and hold the top-right button again to mark it. You can then either save it or hit go and navigate to it. Having said all that, I've never tried it on my 530. I did once try it on my old 705; the maps on that were much poorer but I did get to my destination ok.
Old 09-10-21, 04:16 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Short answer is, yes, you can emulate that.

Long answer is: yes, you can emulate it. There are two ways. (1) If your Garmin has the POI database loaded. Select Navigation -> Search -> POI categories -> , drilling into the thing you're looking for, but be advised it will be slow, the device is simply not optimized for making this a seamless and fast process. (2) Use Google maps, get a street address, and select Navigation -> Search -> Address, follow the prompts and enter the info, and get a route. The 2nd method is much faster, despite the extra steps.

Key here is "emulation." It is not integrated like a google search and mapping on your phone. But, it can be done.
Old 09-10-21, 05:13 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4246 Post(s)
Liked 1,351 Times in 937 Posts
It would be quite frustrating to enter an address using a few buttons. The 530 isn't really the appropriate device for that use. The 830 and 1030+ have touch screens which let's them use the screen as a keyboard.

Using Google is easy because the search is being done using fast (and large) computers with huge databases (Google searches are not being done on your phone).

​​​​​One way to get a location on your Garmin is to use the sendpoints website on your phone.

https://www.sendpoints.us/

This lets you get a 4 digit number for an address you searched for.

You then enter the 4 digit number on your Garmin using an IQ app/widget installed on your Garmin.

There's a sendpoints app but the GRouteLoader app and widget do the same thing (and other stuff too).

https://apps.garmin.com/en-US/search...art=0&count=30

You can use IQ widgets while recording a ride. IQ apps can only be used when not recording.

Last edited by njkayaker; 09-10-21 at 07:11 AM.
Likes For njkayaker:
Old 09-10-21, 05:19 AM
oik01

Originally Posted by Badger6
Short answer is, yes, you can emulate that.

Long answer is: yes, you can emulate it. There are two ways. (1) If your Garmin has the POI database loaded. Select Navigation -> Search -> POI categories -> , drilling into the thing you're looking for, but be advised it will be slow, the device is simply not optimized for making this a seamless and fast process. (2) Use Google maps, get a street address, and select Navigation -> Search -> Address, follow the prompts and enter the info, and get a route. The 2nd method is much faster, despite the extra steps.

Key here is "emulation." It is not integrated like a google search and mapping on your phone. But, it can be done.
Is the search address feature on the edge 530 or only the higher models? I don't think I've ever seen that
Old 09-10-21, 05:27 AM
redcon1

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
My Edge Explore has 'Search' and 'Find Address' options in the 'Where To' menu - Don't all the Garmin mapping devices have this?

Search can find POI's - Cities, Intersections, Coordinates, and you can drill down for Shopping, Food/Drink, etc. I've use it touring unfamiliar areas pretty effectively.
Old 09-10-21, 05:30 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Ahhh. good point. That feature, which Garmin calls "on device course creation" (for finding POIs or entering addresses and making a course to it) are only available on the 830 and 1030+ (1030 if you find one also had it).

Therefore, my earlier post should have been "No, it cannot be emulated on a 530. It can be on an 830 or 1030+." AFAIK, it is also possible on an 820, and definitely on a 1030. Apologies for the confusion, I should have read all of your posts a little more carefully, @oik01.
Old 09-10-21, 05:31 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Originally Posted by redcon1
Don't all the Garmin mapping devices have this?
Unfortunately, no. See my post above.
Old 09-10-21, 05:46 AM
redcon1

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6
Unfortunately, no. See my post above.
Wow. Add the $249 Edge Explore to your list. Navigation to known points was one of the reasons I purchased it, now it looks like even more a bargain.
Likes For redcon1:
Old 09-10-21, 05:49 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

It is definitely a bargain if it meets one's needs, which in reality is probably the vast majority of cyclists.
Old 09-10-21, 07:17 AM
njkayaker

Is the search address feature on the edge 530 or only the higher models? I don't think I've ever seen that
I don’t think the 530 has it. The devices with touch screens have more navigation features.
Old 09-10-21, 09:31 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2603 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
Is there a way to use the Strava or RidewithGPS app on your phone to develop a route, and download to the Garmin through Bluetooth? (Have to ask, since I turned my Bluetooth on for a couple days early in July.)
Old 09-10-21, 10:14 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,693 Times in 2,515 Posts
I have used the RWGPS app over bluetooth with the IQ app on the 830. I think that the 530 will also run the RWGPS IQ app.
How good is RWGPS at finding an address? Searched for that question and it appears that it never occurred to RWGPS to do that.
Old 09-10-21, 11:47 AM
njkayaker

Originally Posted by unterhausen
I have used the RWGPS app over bluetooth with the IQ app on the 830. I think that the 530 will also run the RWGPS IQ app.
How good is RWGPS at finding an address? Searched for that question and it appears that it never occurred to RWGPS to do that.
You can’t send locations from RWGPS.

Sendpoints is easy enough to use (see my earlier post).