Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why are mountain bikes so popular?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why are mountain bikes so popular?

Old 01-15-17, 08:43 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
L'Eroica - Photo Gallery
Old 01-15-17, 09:13 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1222 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 241 Posts
Yah if you want to go SLOW on a highway, then get a MTB. All the local tour guys I saw in SE Asia were riding them. My 120 lb Rohloff 700c roadster dropped them like flies, even at half my weight. Actually, on my worst day I had one of them for company off/on. 12 out of 13 miles were clay slime with three 9%/10% hills of 2 or 3 miles. Took 4 hours with digging out my front fender and all. He only went faster downhill. One hill he walked up and I rode up rather easily, right behind him. We finished together, then differed on a city route from there. Even the cars could barely get thru the muck at 3 mph. I was SO glad with my front drum brake.

Would you go downhill on pavement at 40 mph on that POS?? I doubt it.

I would choose a Pashley over a MTB ANY day of the week. Including cross country. I guess very few adults ever rode those Raleigh Sports 3 spds, so I guess they never learned how handy and comfortable they could be. Too bad. Then those hatchet 10 speeds came along and were roundly dissed.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 01-15-17 at 09:23 PM.
Old 01-15-17, 09:21 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
The only bicycles I ever saw in use in the 50's or the 60's were middle/heavy weight cruisers or English or American 3 speed "racers." Never saw a derailleur, let alone a bike with drop bars in use until the 70's.
Oh yeah. I owned a 63 Schwinn Varsity in 1964. It was a 10-speed with down Tube shifters. It was painted Coppertone (which I thought looked gold colored). It had the leather (Schwinn approved) saddle, and gold plastic handlebar tape. It was very lightweight at about 40 pounds.
Old 01-15-17, 10:39 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
Oh yeah. I owned a 63 Schwinn Varsity in 1964. It was a 10-speed with down Tube shifters. It was painted Coppertone (which I thought looked gold colored). It had the leather (Schwinn approved) saddle, and gold plastic handlebar tape. It was very lightweight at about 40 pounds.
Probably still in use somewhere.

I picked up a Varsity for $5 at a garage sale in 2006. Changed out the handlebars to something that was more suitable for me to use as a utility hauler with a $10 trailer also of garage sale provenance. Both still work just fine today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
SchwinnVarsity13May06.jpg (99.4 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg
UtilityBike right.JPG (60.6 KB, 152 views)
Old 01-16-17, 05:38 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by coominya
Riders of racers call their bikes roadies and many assume every other bike design is not suited to the road. They don't even call their bikes racers anymore, yet that is what they are and that is what they are suited for. Road racing on smooth surfaces devoid of railway crossings, cracks, potholes and most importantly vehicular traffic. A flatbar hybrid with road tires is a vastly superior choice for today's suburban roadscape.
If you want to sit upright into a strong headwind and keep your hands in the same position for hours at a time on your "roadscape" then go ahead and get a littly flat bar hybird thingy.
Old 01-16-17, 05:44 AM
coominya

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Maelochs

What was your point again?
That wider tires and a less twitchy steering is a safer ride for suburban and highway environments. Please stop all the ranting about drop bars too, I never even mentioned them? Bars are bars, you can put whatever bars you like on but I have ridden a racer and I know what it feel like when the front locks up on a dry downhill, I have never had that happen on a bike with wide tires.

OP suggested MTB bikes were
" a little over rated in the eyes of the general public and way too popular for no good reason."
I was simply refuting that statement by bringing a little reality to the discussion. Look down your nose on us hybrid roadie riders if you like, we're not caught up in all the bull*hit of matching cloths and designer sunglasses so we don't care.
Old 01-16-17, 05:53 AM
coominya

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lazyass
If you want to sit upright into a strong headwind and keep your hands in the same position for hours at a time on your "roadscape" then go ahead and get a littly flat bar hybird thingy.
If I wanted to do that, which I don't, because I have a life, I would put drop bars on. There is nothing special about the frame on a racer, get the saddle height right on any bike almost, the tires width right and all you have left is a few grams of extra material to push up hills.

I see you are another "if it isn't a racer it isn't a real bike" type. Well sorry to burst your bubble but what you believe has not come from personal rational thought, it has come from marketing hype and peer pressure. Ride what you want, don't be a slave to fashion.
Old 01-16-17, 06:05 AM
Lazyass

If I wanted to do that, which I don't, because I have a life, I would put drop bars on. There is nothing special about the frame on a racer, get the saddle height right on any bike almost, the tires width right and all you have left is a few grams of extra material to push up hills.

I see you are another "if it isn't a racer it isn't a real bike" type. Well sorry to burst your bubble but what you believe has not come from personal rational thought, it has come from marketing hype and peer pressure. Ride what you want, don't be a slave to fashion.
I see we got a sensitive one. If you "wanted to do that"? Do what, go on long rides or ride in high winds? What do you do, putt around on walking paths? You have some seriously thin skin and didn't directly address what I specifically said. There is a purpose for drop bars, and it's not just to get into an aero position to race in the Tour de France.
Old 01-16-17, 06:16 AM
Lazyass

That wider tires and a less twitchy steering is a safer ride for suburban and highway environments. Please stop all the ranting about drop bars too, I never even mentioned them? Bars are bars, you can put whatever bars you like on but I have ridden a racer and I know what it feel like when the front locks up on a dry downhill, I have never had that happen on a bike with wide tires.
You sound like you have poor bike handling skills. In 29.5 years of road cycling on "racers" as you call them, I have never locked up a front wheel going downhill, that's just stupid, I can control my "twitchy steering" with no hands while I'm pulling off my arm warmers and wind vest and stuff them in my back pockets then eat an energy bar and take a drink of water, and I have never had one single accident. And brace yourself for this: I can even ride over railroad tracks without crashing
Old 01-16-17, 06:48 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
That wider tires and a less twitchy steering is a safer ride for suburban and highway environments.
Really? I suppose the alternative would be .. LEARNING TO RIDE A BIKE.

Same for this one:
I have ridden a racer and I know what it feel like when the front locks up on a dry downhill, I have never had that happen on a bike with wide tires.
I have been riding for 50 years. I have ridden everything from tricycles to tandems, MTBs rigid to full-suspension, and all variety of road bikes. If you really want to claim that you can lock a tire at 40 mph on a road bike but not on an MTB (with generally canti-, V-, or disc brakes) then you live in an alternate universe with different physics ... in this world, your Back brake is going to lock first in hard braking on a downhill.

Learn to ride before telling other people what to ride, maybe?

As with frame material debates, all we are really discussing is preference and prejudice.

Wide tires do not make a bike more stable---one can crash on Any bike. An upright riding position confers no specific comfort or safety advantage. An "MTB" frame is just a frame; true many "MTB" frames have slacker geometry than some road frames, but if the difference of a few degrees in head-tube angle makes a bike unrideable for a specific rider, that is the rider, not the bike.

I say again: I have done a lot of commuting on a flatbar and drop bar bikes, with "MTB" frames and "road" frames, and some on a full-suspension MTB.

THEY ALL WORK. And except for the F/S (which was too far out of its element to convey its specific benefits) They all work about as well.

All the rest is preference and prejudice. Some of it is eloquently defended, but eloquence does not change facts.
Old 01-16-17, 09:32 AM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I picked up a Varsity for $5 at a garage sale.....
I like winter project bikes. I bought a Rootbeer colored Continental for $20, 3-4 years ago. I reconditioned it and cleaned it up. It rode and handled EXACTLY as I remembered my old Varsity as riding. It was a wonderful trip back in time. I didn't keep the Continental for very long... but practically gave it away to a guy who's Continental had been stolen.
Old 01-16-17, 10:24 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I can even ride over railroad tracks without crashing
You must be a wizard or something!! Pics or it didn't happen
Old 01-16-17, 10:34 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Let's back up a minute here. There will always be enthusiasts (most of us here) who want to ride trails, or just road, or whatever discipline of cycling they love...mostly a number of different ones. Most Americans just want a bike they can putt around with and go on rides with their kids or whatever. In the event they actually go to a bike shop and not xmart, there are usually some pretty inexpensive mountain bikes that make a lot more sense for them to buy than anything else. We used to sell a ton of Haro Flightlines at I think around $350 a pop. They were usually better outfitted than similarly priced hybrids (a lot of people REALLY want front suspension, and those are much more expensive).

MTBs are also pretty rugged, have beefier wheels, and are less sensitive to different heights. They are seen as low maintenance. A lot of Americans buying bikes aren't necessarily fit, not is cycling their main activity. It's just something that can do around their neighborhood a few times a year on a nice spring or fall day, and they want to be comfortable and not push big gears. They don't care if a knobby tire is less efficient on pavement. All they want is a bike they can pump up, hop on and go a few times around their neighborhood or greenway, and be comfortable on.
Old 01-16-17, 01:53 PM
Repack Rider
Retro on steroids

Bikes: Breezer Repack 650-B, 2011 Gary Fisher Rumblefish II, Gary Fisher HiFi 29er, 1983 Ritchey Annapurna, 1994 Ritchey P-21, 1978 Breezer #2, 1975 Colnago, Ritchey P-29er

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 589 Times in 124 Posts
I can ride flat bars all day, and I have. When Gary Fisher and I were partners at MountainBikes, I set up one of my Ritchey MountainBikes for road century rides. I made just a few modifications, e.g. I used balloon tires with a smooth tread (Mitsuboshi "Cruiser Mits") pumped to 80 psi, I used Campy road pedals and my road shoes, and a close ratio cluster. Talk is cheap, but at the end of the long ride all the guys I had passed wanted to see what the heck I was riding with tires the size of my leg as I smoked them down the hills. As a publicity builder, it worked great! I didn't have to explain that even though it had huge tires, it was a high-performance bike.

Here is a photo from the 1982 "Hekaton," a century with 8000 feet of climbing. I rode my Ritchey MountainBike, my buddy was on just about the most collectible bike on the planet, Breezer #2." Two other riders passed my buddy and me that day, and we passed hundreds ourselves.

Old 01-16-17, 02:16 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ckindt
I think this is false. New riders may believe this initially, but after a few rides past the end of the block many realize the value in drop bars with many different positions.
And much of the world knows there's better options then either of those.
Old 01-16-17, 02:30 PM
ckindt

Bikes: Trek Domane 2020 SLR7, 2016 4.3 Disc, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by kickstart
And much of the world knows there's better options then either of those.
You're right. I forgot to include unicycles as another alternative.
Old 01-16-17, 03:00 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
You're right. I forgot to include unicycles as another alternative.
You know there's many bar options besides drops, and flats......No?
Old 01-16-17, 03:06 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12635 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,989 Posts
Originally Posted by Repack Rider
I can ride flat bars all day, and I have. When Gary Fisher and I were partners at MountainBikes, I set up one of my Ritchey MountainBikes for road century rides. I made just a few modifications, e.g. I used balloon tires with a smooth tread (Mitsuboshi "Cruiser Mits") pumped to 80 psi, I used Campy road pedals and my road shoes, and a close ratio cluster. Talk is cheap, but at the end of the long ride all the guys I had passed wanted to see what the heck I was riding with tires the size of my leg as I smoked them down the hills. As a publicity builder, it worked great! I didn't have to explain that even though it had huge tires, it was a high-performance bike.

Here is a photo from the 1982 "Hekaton," a century with 8000 feet of climbing. I rode my Ritchey MountainBike, my buddy was on just about the most collectible bike on the planet, Breezer #2." Two other riders passed my buddy and me that day, and we passed hundreds ourselves.

Roadie bros back then probably put on their "climbing" freewheel, for a low gear of 42x24
Old 01-16-17, 03:31 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
MTBs are so popular for a lot of the same reasons people buy SUVs. They are heavy duty looking, whether you actually use that aspect or not.
Old 01-16-17, 03:34 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter

Varsitys, and don't forget the occasional Suburban.
Old 01-16-17, 03:52 PM
ckindt

Originally Posted by kickstart
You know there's many bar options besides drops, and flats......No?
Yes.

I should have been less specific and simply stated that most prefer a bar with multiple positions (whatever style that may be) for distances longer than a few trips around the block. A flat bar just doesn't cut it with a single position. Can it be done? Of course it can.

Jeez what did I start?

Old 01-16-17, 04:06 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12635 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,989 Posts
Yes.

I should have been less specific and simply stated that most prefer a bar with multiple positions (whatever style that may be) for distances longer than a few trips around the block. A flat bar just doesn't cut it with a single position. Can it be done? Of course it can.

Jeez what did I start?

Flat bars actually have 3 positions:

1. hands on grips
2. hands near stem
3. IAB

+ one or two more if you have barends!
Old 01-16-17, 04:11 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets

1. hands on grips
2. hands near stem
3. IAB

I like that you listed the phantoms before barends.
Old 01-16-17, 04:13 PM
durangotang

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"I don't understand why mountain bikes are so popular"... all I hear is that these people live somewhere that sucks... move somewhere cooler and ride some trails with other cool people...

Last edited by durangotang; 01-16-17 at 04:18 PM.
Old 01-16-17, 04:15 PM
ckindt

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets

1. hands on grips
2. hands near stem
3. IAB

...and many more in between.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.