Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What is really better, Trek or Specialized?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

What is really better, Trek or Specialized?

Old 06-03-21, 12:59 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18395 Post(s)
Liked 15,473 Times in 7,312 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
This is the correct answer.
He really treated Stacy poorly.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 06-03-21, 01:09 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3240 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
He really treated Stacy poorly.
Didn't even show her a good time, either. He was finished when he began. Give credit to Brad and Rat for stepping up. Somewhat similar situation in the forgotten coming of age 80s flick "The Last American Virgin." Great ending on that one. As a fellow 56 year old, (and March birthday as well) we got to see some of the great obscure movies of all time. They don't make em like that anymore, or stuff like the Porky's saga, either. Good times.
Likes For seypat:
Old 06-03-21, 01:39 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18395 Post(s)
Liked 15,473 Times in 7,312 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
Didn't even show her a good time, either. He was finished when he began. Give credit to Brad and Rat for stepping up. Somewhat similar situation in the forgotten coming of age 80s flick "The Last American Virgin." Great ending on that one. As a fellow 56 year old, (and March birthday as well) we got to see some of the great obscure movies of all time. They don't make em like that anymore, or stuff like the Porky's saga, either. Good times.
I probably saw that, but I cannot remember for sure. I spent my high school years at a snooty boarding school in New England. Our weekend movie selections were carefully planned.

A couple of weeks ago I heard an interview with Andrew McCarthy. He has a new book out. Looks like it could be an interesting read.

Amazon.com: BRAT: An '80s Story eBook: McCarthy, Andrew: Kindle Store
Old 06-03-21, 01:45 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 4,821 Times in 2,226 Posts
So how does Miké pronounce his last name? In Trekish!

Not that I care, but .... page 8, at least deserves an answer.

Trek and Spesh are mainstream - waaay too generic for me.
Old 06-03-21, 02:01 PM
seypat

Originally Posted by indyfabz
I probably saw that, but I cannot remember for sure. I spent my high school years at a snooty boarding school in New England. Our weekend movie selections were carefully planned.

A couple of weeks ago I heard an interview with Andrew McCarthy. He has a new book out. Looks like it could be an interesting read.

Amazon.com: BRAT: An '80s Story eBook: McCarthy, Andrew: Kindle Store
LAV had the same serious theme in the 2nd half of the movie as FTARH. Spoiler alert: The good boy who steps up like Rat/Brad doesn't get the girl. James Ingram's "Just Once" is blaring as the credits roll and the tears are falling. Way different that Randy and Julie headed for the hotel in the limo with Modern English blaring during the credits.
Old 06-03-21, 02:40 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by aplcr0331
I ride whichever bike gives me the most social smugness capital.

Here's my process...I research at least 50 years of history for every bike I consider buying. I get a list of the top 25 executives from each company and do an exhaustive social media review to see if they've ever said anything "problematic". I also comb through the Law Library of Congress, PACER, JUSTIA, and other legal databases using the bike company names and any subsidiaries along with checking the executive’s names and known associates as well. You can never be too safe.

Next I'll scour the internet (BBB, forums, etc.) for any RUMINT on each bike brand as well. I'll ignore any positive stories I read cause it's all "marketing". The hushed toned conjecture from internet dweebs (my heroes) is what I'll place more credence with.

I'll compare mission, vision, and values statements, financial reports if available (I'll buy no bike from some company that takes too much "profit" I mean what has capitalism done for any of us amirite?). Do they support the "correct" social issues, are they sustainable, do they purchase carbon offsets, all the things that ACTUALLY matter when it comes to the building of a bike.

After a 2-3 years of part-time research (I do have a family and a full-time job...what's that? When do I actually ride a bike...OK Fred) I'll finally pick a worthy companion to my bike riding stable. In the end I settle on only the finest of steel frames hand-welded deep beneath the earth in the fiery caverns of Mont Ventoux by master artisans (as long as they genuflect to the current zeitgeist of our betters in the government, media, and academia).

Or, you know, a company could've just done something very public that really pissed you off.

Frankly, you obviously put enough time into that rather elaborate and not terribly original snark that making fun of people for wasting too much time on knowing about the companies they might or might not want to do business with seems rather ironic.
Old 06-03-21, 03:21 PM
seypat

I'm strictly a C & V rider, but if I was looking for a new bike I honestly don't know which companies I'd be looking at. Most likely not either one of those 2. If I recall, Specialized sues people/companies for the most trivial things. I have an inner bias towards Trek. I don't think the bias really has anything to do with the quality of their products. They're part of the Evil Empire like Nike, Apple and others. Everyone has certain brands/companies they think are part of the Evil Empire. It might be because of the Trekkie fanboys they produced back in the Lance days. Some of those people would have 5 "cause" bands on each wrists and always needing to get noticed. I do have a vintage Trek bike. It's done nothing to sway the bias.

A Cervelo would be out also because, .......... I'm not a dentist.