Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cycling Is A Poor Form of Exercise :-(

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cycling Is A Poor Form of Exercise :-(

Old 09-23-20, 04:23 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I love me a set of over/under eating intervals.

Likes For jadocs:
Old 09-23-20, 04:32 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Because milkshakes are insufficiently decadent?
Large Choc Cake Shake -

Old 09-23-20, 04:46 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10243 Post(s)
Liked 11,595 Times in 5,942 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Nope, this has nothing to do with luck.
Careful selection of grandparents.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-23-20, 05:40 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Large Choc Cake Shake -

Good lord!

Old 09-23-20, 05:52 PM
Aladin

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Appalachian, 1998 Litespeed BlueRidge.. 1977? Schwinn LeTour 12.2 'Rain Daze'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by djcookie
I've gone to two local meetups with road cycling clubs. One was a social meet up, and the members seemed far more fit than the average person of their ages (most were older). At the second meet, everyone was ready for a ride in their gear. I was shocked by their appearance. In full lycra kit, they had comically oversized pot bellies, but with skinny noodly arms and legs.

Basically, cycling is just sitting. It is not weight bearing. Your bones become weaker as you sweat away minerals over long miles. Your muscles and bones don't become any stronger because they don't have to bear any weight. As a matter of fact, any additional weight is a liability, so additional muscle mass only penalizes you on climbs.

Even when I was riding many miles a week, I never lost any significant weight. In the past couple of weeks, I've been walking and hiking instead. I've lost more weight in these past couple of weeks than I did when I was riding upwards of 200 miles a week cycling!

Cycling for me is more about fun and recreation rather than "physical fitness." You become fit when you become stronger, and cycling may actually lead to the opposite.

Much of what your saying it correct. I see many 'bikies' my age exactly as your describe.. noodly is right on. I am going somewhat that direction now given the this COVID era w gym visits off limits since March. Some strength work.. the resistance machines for me makes huge impact. Loosing muscle mass now.. and away from my better program which is carb limitation.

CYCLING is another arena IMO. Cardio numbers.. much less internal body inflammation.. total program.

Like any endeavor.. the many play at a game.. the few take it seriously.
Old 09-23-20, 05:56 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Dude, the Quad muscles in your thigh are the LARGEST muscle group in your body. Use them, and you'll use the most energy. Simple bio-mechanics!

Cycling is also one of the two BEST zero-impact forms of exercise on the joints -- the other is swimming!

/donewithtroll...
Likes For Cougrrcj:
Old 09-23-20, 06:06 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Large Choc Cake Shake -

Calories are not the problem here....It's the ingredients and the macronutrients that make those calories that are a problem. If those 1490 calories were from whole food and the macronutrients were more balanced it would be perfect.
Old 09-23-20, 06:15 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Calories are not the problem here....It's the ingredients and the macronutrients that make those calories that are a problem. If those 1490 calories were from whole food and the macronutrients were more balanced it would be perfect.
It takes a number of leaps for this concoction to be anything resembling "perfect," so why even go there?
Old 09-23-20, 06:23 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

But then it would taste like crap, and you wouldn't eat it, which I guess would prevent you overeating.

Old 09-23-20, 06:37 PM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by bcpriess
It's great exercise as long as you maintain speeds that offer resistance and include hills and hard sprints. Doing singletrack will also help with upper body.

I am a beer gut guy, (hell, look at my avatar!) in "pretty damned good" shape, despite the gut. I never, ever sprint, but I ALWAYS search for at least 2 brutal climbs per 60 mile ride. It's a great workout. Really my only form of exercise these days.
Likes For Dirt Farmer:
Old 09-23-20, 06:50 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
Nope, this has nothing to do with luck.

Keep telling yourself that.
Old 09-23-20, 06:56 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

If my dog was a bird he could sit up and fly.

That number of calories in a dessert is a bit problematic as it's unlikely to be the only thing consumed at that meal.
Old 09-23-20, 07:00 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

But then it would taste like crap, and you wouldn't eat it, which I guess would prevent you overeating.

For the life of me, I can't even imagine what would be in a whole food chocolate cake shake.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-23-20, 07:05 PM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by djcookie
I've gone to two local meetups with road cycling clubs. One was a social meet up, and the members seemed far more fit than the average person of their ages (most were older). At the second meet, everyone was ready for a ride in their gear. I was shocked by their appearance. In full lycra kit, they had comically oversized pot bellies, but with skinny noodly arms and legs.

Basically, cycling is just sitting. It is not weight bearing. Your bones become weaker as you sweat away minerals over long miles. Your muscles and bones don't become any stronger because they don't have to bear any weight. As a matter of fact, any additional weight is a liability, so additional muscle mass only penalizes you on climbs.

Even when I was riding many miles a week, I never lost any significant weight. In the past couple of weeks, I've been walking and hiking instead. I've lost more weight in these past couple of weeks than I did when I was riding upwards of 200 miles a week cycling!

Cycling for me is more about fun and recreation rather than "physical fitness." You become fit when you become stronger, and cycling may actually lead to the opposite.
I pretty much agree with all points you made and I've been a dedicated cyclist for over 25 years. Cycling certainly isn't a weight-bearing exercise which means you can potentially do it into your old age, but that also means you had better be doing some other exercises that are weight-bearing to keep your bones strong.

I also agree about the flabby / skinny upper body... however, running, hiking, skiing and probably a whole host of other sports don't help that either. I tried swimming for a while and that helped even-out my physique, but the chlorine killed my skin. I now do regular stretching and body-weight exercises which have actually helped my cycling quite a bit.

If you're not losing weight cycling, I'm going to venture to guess it's not the cycling... it's your diet or you're not riding any where near as hard as I do (You can coast on a bike and consume zero calories if you allow yourself to). Your body has inputs (calories) and outputs (burned calories)... if your inputs exceed your outputs, it doesn't matter what exercise you do, you won't lose weight.
Old 09-23-20, 07:14 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 256 Posts
Originally Posted by Dirt Farmer
I am a beer gut guy, (hell, look at my avatar!) in "pretty damned good" shape, despite the gut. I never, ever sprint, but I ALWAYS search for at least 2 brutal climbs per 60 mile ride. It's a great workout. Really my only form of exercise these days.
I prefer to call my 'bratwurst and beer' gut my 'aerobelly', thankyouverymuch... And I was born a Cheesehead in FdL
Old 09-23-20, 07:54 PM
Dirt Farmer

Bikes: Jamis Quest Elite; Fuji Sagres; Trek Fuel EX 8

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 329 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Cougrrcj
I prefer to call my 'bratwurst and beer' gut my 'aerobelly', thankyouverymuch... And I was born a Cheesehead in FdL
Mine has been called a "Milwaukee Tumor" on occasion!
Old 09-24-20, 12:33 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4558 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Some of those potbellied MAMILs kick my butt on group rides. Partly because some are former serious amateur and pro athletes, gifted with natural abilities and years of conditioning. Mostly because they're about 10 or more years younger than I.

I'm 5'11", 150 lbs, very fit, and at age 62 it doesn't give me any bonus points against those MAMILs. And some MAWILs who are also often a bit faster than I am.
Old 09-24-20, 05:05 AM
viperocco

Bikes: 05 Fuji Outland Pro, Fuji cape may, Giant simple single, Peugeot Corbier, Miyata 215st

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 28 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I never quite understood how cycling can be considered not to be weight-bearing. Sure, nothing in your upper body gets much of a workout.
Doesn't balancing on a bike strengthen your core?
Old 09-24-20, 07:34 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18318 Post(s)
Liked 15,265 Times in 7,222 Posts
Good lord!
But, with 1,200% of the RDA if Vitamin C, you’ll never get scurvy.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-24-20, 07:42 AM
indyfabz

Here’s the nutrition menu for the Cheesecake Factory:

https://www.thecheesecakefactory.com...onal_Guide.pdf
Old 09-24-20, 08:19 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Definitely NOT a double bacon cheeseburger with large onion rings and a milkshake, followed by a big slice of cake with ice cream, then?
Well, in my case it usually would be.

I think it was more about carbohydrates rather than calories. 80 grams is the number that comes to mind, less in subsequent hours.
Old 09-24-20, 08:28 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by indyfabz
But, with 1,200% of the RDA if Vitamin C, you’ll never get scurvy.

I gotta think that's a typo. What in a chocolate cake shake even has vitamin C?
Old 09-24-20, 08:33 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I might look at it from the opposite direction: Suppose someone has a big belly and spindly limbs, and wants to get into exercising. Well, a high impact activity like running might be too much cardio all at once, plus their weight compounds the impact. And if they've been heavy for a long time, they might have joint problems at some level, or at least be prone to injury. Also, if you're a male over 40, your ability to build muscle diminishes with every passing year, so you have to choose your battles wisely. A few more ounces of muscle at the expense of damaging your joints might not be the best bargain.

So it comes down to, how about maybe... cycling?

Plus, cycling is pleasant. If you're not primarily motivated by the pleasure of cycling, then it's a pretty tough slog. But it could be an acquired taste, so don't give up too quickly.

Last edited by Gresp15C; 09-24-20 at 08:36 AM.
Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 09-24-20, 09:06 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Gresp15C
I might look at it from the opposite direction: Suppose someone has a big belly and spindly limbs, and wants to get into exercising. Well, a high impact activity like running might be too much cardio all at once, plus their weight compounds the impact. And if they've been heavy for a long time, they might have joint problems at some level, or at least be prone to injury. Also, if you're a male over 40, your ability to build muscle diminishes with every passing year, so you have to choose your battles wisely. A few more ounces of muscle at the expense of damaging your joints might not be the best bargain.

So it comes down to, how about maybe... cycling?

Plus, cycling is pleasant. If you're not primarily motivated by the pleasure of cycling, then it's a pretty tough slog. But it could be an acquired taste, so don't give up too quickly.
Like I explained to my son, the scenery changes at the right rate.

Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-24-20, 09:07 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I gotta think that's a typo. What in a chocolate cake shake even has vitamin C?
I was wondering about that myself. Chocolate has only traces of Vitamin C. However, Vitamin C is added to some foods to ****** oxidation and browning. Maybe that explains it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.