Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cycling Is A Poor Form of Exercise :-(

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cycling Is A Poor Form of Exercise :-(

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-20, 09:14 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,527 Times in 7,325 Posts
Originally Posted by jadocs
I have ridden by the old homestead on which the real life person who was the basis of the character Jeremiah Johnson was born. His name was John "Liver-Eating'" Johnson, and he was from Hunterdon County, NJ.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liver-Eating_Johnson
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-24-20, 09:26 AM
growlerdinky
Duke Ulysses

Bikes: An old orange one for dirt, and for the other stuff: a white one, a kinda mint green one, and a black one.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 86 Posts
Originally Posted by djcookie
I've gone to two local meetups with road cycling clubs. One was a social meet up, and the members seemed far more fit than the average person of their ages (most were older). At the second meet, everyone was ready for a ride in their gear. I was shocked by their appearance. In full lycra kit, they had comically oversized pot bellies, but with skinny noodly arms and legs.

Basically, cycling is just sitting. It is not weight bearing. Your bones become weaker as you sweat away minerals over long miles. Your muscles and bones don't become any stronger because they don't have to bear any weight. As a matter of fact, any additional weight is a liability, so additional muscle mass only penalizes you on climbs.

Even when I was riding many miles a week, I never lost any significant weight. In the past couple of weeks, I've been walking and hiking instead. I've lost more weight in these past couple of weeks than I did when I was riding upwards of 200 miles a week cycling!

Cycling for me is more about fun and recreation rather than "physical fitness." You become fit when you become stronger, and cycling may actually lead to the opposite.

I barely remember what it was like before I had ever actually gone on a real bike ride, and wasn't just riding down to the corner market for bubblegum, or whatever you do.
Likes For growlerdinky:
Old 09-24-20, 09:29 AM
a_d_a_m

Bikes: 2021 Kona Sutra, Ragley parts-cycle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 1,242 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Suppose someone has a big belly and spindly limbs, and wants to get into exercising. Well, a high impact activity like running might be too much cardio all at once, plus their weight compounds the impact. And if they've been heavy for a long time, they might have joint problems at some level, or at least be prone to injury. Also, if you're a male over 40, your ability to build muscle diminishes with every passing year, so you have to choose your battles wisely. A few more ounces of muscle at the expense of damaging your joints might not be the best bargain.
This^^^ 100%

To the O/P, there are other benefits of cycling beyond losing weight. Ask most of us who frequent the Clyde forum and you might find that we are noticing lower blood pressure, better cardio ability, etc. - weight loss would be nice, but getting up a few flights of stairs without being winded is pretty damn cool, too, and something to be happy about if you've previously struggled.
Likes For a_d_a_m:
Old 09-24-20, 09:30 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2579 Post(s)
Liked 5,636 Times in 2,920 Posts
In my 30s I weighed 155 lbs standing at 6’2” riding between 3000 and 5000 miles per year. People would ask me why I enjoy cycling so much and my response was, and still is, Because I like to exercise sitting down.

In my 40s I weighed 162 for years and only cycled about 2000/yr. and it felt like a good body weight, but could not eat unlimited calories like I did in my 30s.

Now in my mid 60s I stopped road cycling because so many cyclists were getting killed on the roads due to inattentive drivers and switched to hiking up men’s to lakes and summits with weekly mtn bike rides. My weight, after a three week trip to Ireland went up to 178, and I felt like a stuffed pig since none of my pants fit.

with COVID traffic levels came down in April so I started road biking again and man did I suck. Average speed was about 14-15 and climbing was a struggle and weighed 175. Now after giving it a good effort all summer, I now weigh 162 can maintain an average speed of 18 over 30 miles on flats and just about 17 with 1500’ of hill climbing. I feel so much better and enjoy getting stronger and rather than dreading climbs, I now attack them again, all while sitting down, for the most part. The best part is that I can eat a bit more and not put on weight. But then I never noodle either. I always push.

exercise is like anything, you get out of it what you put into it.

Last edited by rsbob; 09-24-20 at 09:33 AM.
Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-24-20, 09:48 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Sorry if somebody else did this, but I'm not going to read through all the pages of this thread.

The OP posted this:
I just re-read "Just Ride" for a second time. It's such a fun, entertaining, and often hilarious read. It's deliberately provocative, which accounts for a large part of the fun factor.
Reference:
https://www.bikeforums.net/general-c...appeal-me.html
Old 09-24-20, 10:10 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Calorie counting is unnecessary. I don't even count how many calories I burn... I eat by feel and can eat quite a lot on most days and have never been overweight yet.
Nope, this has nothing to do with luck.
Then what is it?

I have always been slim and never monitored or restricted my calories in any way. In fact, I spent my younger years actively trying to gain weight because I thought I looked too skinny, to no avail. It could be this:

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20...inny-gene.aspx

There are two others in my family, plus my grandmother who seemed to be in the same boat.
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 09-24-20, 10:26 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Plus, cycling is pleasant. If you're not primarily motivated by the pleasure of cycling, then it's a pretty tough slog. But it could be an acquired taste, so don't give up too quickly.
I totally agree. Cycling is the only form of exercise I've ever actually enjoyed, mainly because it's actually fun.
Old 09-24-20, 10:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Then what is it?

I have always been slim and never monitored or restricted my calories in any way. In fact, I spent my younger years actively trying to gain weight because I thought I looked too skinny, to no avail. It could be this:

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20...inny-gene.aspx

There are two others in my family, plus my grandmother who seemed to be in the same boat.
Not going to look for it now, but there's plenty of research that indicates that how and when one experiences hunger is largely determined by genetics. I have learned that I am basically always going to be hungry no matter how much I eat and, if anything, being inactive actually increases my hunger (so does extreme exercise but there's some compensation). I actually have to consciously decide to stop eating at every meal, if I wait for my body to tell me to, I will weigh about twice what I do now.

I've also learned that I need to be a pretty strict adherent to the "if you don't buy it, you won't eat it" rule when I shop. Buying some foods in quantity because they're ok in small portions just does not work for me. I can't buy a jar of peanut butter, for example, because I know I won't be able to portion control it.
Old 09-24-20, 11:24 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Look familiar?

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...-right/252016/

If I remember correctly, in the book he talks about the pot bellies.
Old 09-24-20, 11:39 AM
Erzulis Boat 
Le Crocodile

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 369 Post(s)
Liked 787 Times in 311 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Large Choc Cake Shake -

It's not the sugar content that's scary, it's the amount of fat and sodium that will do the endurance athlete in!
Old 09-24-20, 12:35 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Erzulis Boat
It's not the sugar content that's scary, it's the amount of fat and sodium that will do the endurance athlete in!

Well, when I'm doing my endurance athleting, I sure sweat out a lot of sodium. Pretty sure that isn't the real problem.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 09-24-20, 03:17 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10422 Post(s)
Liked 11,884 Times in 6,088 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Not going to look for it now, but there's plenty of research that indicates that how and when one experiences hunger is largely determined by genetics. I have learned that I am basically always going to be hungry no matter how much I eat and, if anything, being inactive actually increases my hunger (so does extreme exercise but there's some compensation). I actually have to consciously decide to stop eating at every meal, if I wait for my body to tell me to, I will weigh about twice what I do now.

I've also learned that I need to be a pretty strict adherent to the "if you don't buy it, you won't eat it" rule when I shop. Buying some foods in quantity because they're ok in small portions just does not work for me. I can't buy a jar of peanut butter, for example, because I know I won't be able to portion control it.
It's far easier to exercise self control over what I buy than what I eat, once it's bought. I can't count the number of times I've turned to my wife and said something like, "If we had any ice cream, I'd eat all of it right now."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 09-24-20, 03:18 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by viperocco
Doesn't balancing on a bike strengthen your core?
No it doesn't....Sitting and balancing on a bike is too easy and doesn't provide enough stress and stimulus for the core to create adaptation and make it stronger.
Old 09-24-20, 03:24 PM
wolfchild
Banned

What in a chocolate cake shake even has vitamin C?
Ascorbic acid is added to many different foods, it's a synthetic form of vitamin C.
Old 09-24-20, 03:46 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
This is a forum where anyone can express their ideas. There is no rule that you have to buy into any of what is posted. Therefore calling the OP a troll and other names is not really very friendly or polite.
Old 09-24-20, 04:44 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Originally Posted by rydabent
This is a forum where anyone can express their ideas. There is no rule that you have to buy into any of what is posted. Therefore calling the OP a troll and other names is not really very friendly or polite.
If you notice,..This thread is now few pages long and OP hasn't even responded yet. It's pretty obvious that his intent was to stir things up and create controversy. OPs post starts with body shaming people for having pot bellies, not nice at all....I myself don't have a pot belly but I know a lot of people who do and I would never insult anyone for how their body looks.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 09-24-20, 04:55 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,527 Times in 7,325 Posts
Therefore calling the OP a troll and other names is not really very friendly or polite.
Neither is trolling.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-24-20, 06:37 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Ascorbic acid is added to many different foods, it's a synthetic form of vitamin C.
Just stop. Ascorbic acid is vitamin C. What you said is the equivalent of saying sodium chloride is the synthetic form of table salt. Generally, vitamin C can't be added to dairy products because they interact chemically so that the vitamin is unstable.
Old 09-24-20, 06:39 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Well, in this case he was expressing Grant Petersen's ideas
Old 09-24-20, 08:51 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

The bigger th belly the faster the acceleration on downhills until terminal velocity. (Just taking to heart what was just said above)

Old 09-25-20, 09:40 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by rsbob
The bigger th belly the faster the acceleration on downhills until terminal velocity. (Just taking to heart what was just said above)
You could probably get the same effect by carrying a really heavy lock.
Old 09-25-20, 10:19 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

You could probably get the same effect by carrying a really heavy lock.
Like the 5lb Kryptonite lock I bought to keep my tandem from being stolen in Italy? What a boat anchor. Would probably make a good dog ‘wacker’ if the momentum of swinging the thing didn’t throw me off my ride.

Old 09-25-20, 10:30 AM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
So out of a sample size of n=2, one sample agrees with your hypothesis and one sample does not agree with your hypothesis, and you think this proves your hypothesis?

Methinks you need to work on your data analysis skills.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 09-25-20, 01:53 PM
kaos joe

Bikes: Trek 5200, Rivendell Atlantis, Soma DoubleCross, Bilenky Signature tandem, Cannondale RT3000 tandem, Santa Cruz TallBoy, Kona Explosif, Bridgestone MB2

Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I have ridden by the old homestead on which the real life person who was the basis of the character Jeremiah Johnson was born. His name was John "Liver-Eating'" Johnson, and he was from Hunterdon County, NJ.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liver-Eating_Johnson
Ahh, you beat me to it. He was a town marshal in Red Lodge MT, a place I've visited many times.

Liver is pretty high in calories, AFAIK.
Old 09-25-20, 02:10 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10422 Post(s)
Liked 11,884 Times in 6,088 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Note also that terminal velocity will be higher, too, since it's a function of both mass and aerodynamic drag.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.