Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Tour de-france type of riders, what's their deal?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Tour de-france type of riders, what's their deal?

Old 05-06-21, 08:51 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by PimpMan
Whats the actual difference if one ride light bicycle fast with many speeds vs one rides heavier bicycle slower speed, IMO at the end of the day person with heavier bicycle puts more effort into pedaling...
I get to go further faster and thus see more encouraging me to enjoy the sport and get out and ride more. Why ride something you would enjoy less unless its the budget, admittedly my preferred bike is still nearly 22lbs which is heavy in my opinion but still built for speed and durability in cross.

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I agree this is pretty weak, especially from someone who has been a member since 2018. Seems as if there is an inverse snobbery thread every couple of weeks. Nevertheless, cycling is all inclusive and you are welcome to ride a BSO in your jorts, wife beater and flip flops as often and as far as you like. Nobody will wonder or even care "what the deal is" with you. Just be sure to wave!
Can I also ride my 16lb carbon road bike in jorts, wife beater and flip fops? JK, I don't own any of those, usually its just cargo shorts a t-shirt and sneakers.
I get to be one of the snobs now, I finally got a matching pair of bib shorts and jersey from Bicyclebooth, couldn't resist the sloth one.
Old 05-06-21, 09:20 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 1,253 Times in 724 Posts
The real question, is do they have a bell, and do they ride at least 19 mph.
Old 05-06-21, 09:30 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Hmm....I’ve been a Lycra-clad roadie since before Lance won his first Tour. I have yet to meet another Lycra-clad roadie who was pretending to be - or thinking they were - someone else. Does everyone who plays basketball think they are Kobe or Lebron?
You clearly have no idea how many championships were won and lost with last second shots, on gravel driveways around Indiana bitd. Not Kobe or LeBron in the NBA, but Roger Brown or Big Mac in the ABA, where the three pointer was invented and the dunk was actually allowed.

One does reach an age where imagination succumbs to reality, we do the things we do because we love them, and rather than wanting to be, we just are what we are.
Old 05-06-21, 09:40 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,430 Times in 2,827 Posts
Maybe he saw me go buy since I fit his description to a T, except he didn’t say “Old guy”.

Disagreeing with the OP using logic is useless since there is a profound lack and desire to understand.

My quick take is a case of sour grapes. I doubt he will reply. Just take a pot-shot and run.

Last edited by rsbob; 05-06-21 at 10:21 PM.
Old 05-06-21, 09:42 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4840 Post(s)
Liked 7,830 Times in 3,710 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube42
You clearly have no idea how many championships were won and lost with last second shots, on gravel driveways around Indiana bitd. Not Kobe or LeBron in the NBA, but Roger Brown or Big Mac in the ABA, where the three pointer was invented and the dunk was actually allowed.

One does reach an age where imagination succumbs to reality, we do the things we do because we love them, and rather than wanting to be, we just are what we are.
I get it. As a kid, I had those same kinds of sports fantasies - I've been both Ron Hextall and Steve Garvey on the same day. However, neither Pimp or aplcr were talking about childhood imagination.
Old 05-06-21, 09:51 PM
krakhaus 

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
I'd hate to derail such a valuable thread but I will die on this hill: John Cougar Mellencamp is a poor man's Bruce Springsteen.
I've always wondered if there are people who are rabid Mellencamp fans. Like they own every bit of merchandise and bootlegs, and follow him around on tour. I'm just curious if those people exist. Same goes for bands like Huey Lewis and the News or any of those really mediocre radio rock bands.
Old 05-06-21, 09:51 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,171 Times in 682 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak
PLASTIC BIKE!!!!!!! Those are fighting words!

you can't possible be married, i mean gosh, look at those shades, they are not even!
Likes For spelger:
Old 05-06-21, 10:03 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Do running forums get these threads?

"Who do those skinny freaks think they are, Eliud Kipchoge?

I just run around the block and then have another beer."
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 05-07-21, 01:12 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
I am experiencing pain in the lower back and in the rear of my neck. Perhaps my bicycle frame is too small, however i am not sure this is only problem - see street bikes riders ride facing down a lot like in swimming you keep your head down, i cannot do that, i tend to look ahead of me 100% of the time (sometimes i ride on sidewalks, also there's holes in the road i want to spot to ride around) it just feels natural to me to know where i am going.

I currently have mountain bike, but handle bars are flat, i was thinking of installing medium hi-rise handle bars but it might look stupid plus not sure how it will affect steering.

Currently i am in the market for new light weight bicycle 15 pounds, so road bicycle is the number one choice, i obviously don't need a drop down handle bars just straight or medium hi-rise.

Need more info how to select correct size frame also and any advice on the situation with the pain i get after several hour ride.

My ride style is commuting, i am doing food delivery on a bicycle, i don't care much about, top speed and aerodynamics, usually i ride for 8 hours a day.
Does this sport has a name i can read about because i never heard of it.

This actually brings me to the second point i forgot to make - when one is riding for health, not to compete with others.

Whats the actual difference if one ride light bicycle fast with many speeds vs one rides heavier bicycle slower speed, IMO at the end of the day person with heavier bicycle puts more effort into pedaling...

So I take it the search for a 15 pound medium hi-rise handlebar delivery bike didn't go well?

Last edited by livedarklions; 05-07-21 at 01:16 AM.
Old 05-07-21, 01:28 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
What I want to know is why do golfers spend thousands of dollars on equipment and replace it every other year. And pay $100 every weekend to spend 5 hours hitting bad shots over and over. And they do it every week in hopes that something will change and it never does. The only difference is no one will ever mistake them for a pro.

Answering your cycling questions is child’s play.

John
Old 05-07-21, 02:50 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
I started road cycling about the same time Lance Armstrong did (we're the same age and grew up in the same area). The most money I spent on a new bike was $1200 (on sale half price). I wear $40 bibs from theblackbibs. I like jerseys with no logos plastered on it. I'm a fairly strong A group rider.

But I don't look down on the C group riders with bikes and gear that cost 4x more than mine. I'm not snobbish. Good for them. I like looking at their bikes. They do wear some hideous looking jerseys, though
Old 05-07-21, 03:14 AM
TCollen
So many roads ...

Bikes: 2013 Specialized Tricross, a (almost) showroom condition 1987 Schwinn Collegiate 3-speed (for short coffee runs), KMX recumbent trike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Which sports should adults be allowed to participate in? Pie-eating contests?
Okay, now you're getting personal. I'll soon be going on a pie ride, stopping for pie in 4 small Iowa towns.

Last edited by TCollen; 05-07-21 at 03:18 AM.
Likes For TCollen:
Old 05-07-21, 04:32 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Never understood this what this riders are all about, are they try to set world record in speed or something, i doubt that they ever will participating in any cycling sport events.
I was out on Monday, on a training ride (yes, I bike for leisure and workouts!) and this guy blew past me in a full Jumbo-Visma kit on the Leuven-Mechlen canal path...and he was super skinny, and he was super fast (I know because I was moving pretty fast for a non=pro 40 something rider at that point).

Two things I didn't say to myself when it happened: (1) "What a f***ing Fred?" and (2) "I doubt that they ever will participating in any cycling sport events." Good thing too, because at the next intersection he had a foot down and was on his phone...and it was Wout van Aert. I said hi, kept on my way, and he blew past me again about 5 minutes later. I bet he was in Z2...he was just doing his job. Crossed paths with Mathieu van der Poel a few weeks back the day before the Brabantse Pijl, which passes within 3 km of my house...and I expect more sightings of guys and gals who will be participating in cycling sport events in September when the UCI World Road Racing Championship will again pass with 3 km of my house.
Old 05-07-21, 04:42 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by TCollen
Okay, now you're getting personal. I'll soon be going on a pie ride, stopping for pie in 4 small Iowa towns.

Don't forget the cash!
Old 05-07-21, 04:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Badger6
I was out on Monday, on a training ride (yes, I bike for leisure and workouts!) and this guy blew past me in a full Jumbo-Visma kit on the Leuven-Mechlen canal path...and he was super skinny, and he was super fast (I know because I was moving pretty fast for a non=pro 40 something rider at that point).

Two things I didn't say to myself when it happened: (1) "What a f***ing Fred?" and (2) "I doubt that they ever will participating in any cycling sport events." Good thing too, because at the next intersection he had a foot down and was on his phone...and it was Wout van Aert. I said hi, kept on my way, and he blew past me again about 5 minutes later. I bet he was in Z2...he was just doing his job. Crossed paths with Mathieu van der Poel a few weeks back the day before the Brabantse Pijl, which passes within 3 km of my house...and I expect more sightings of guys and gals who will be participating in cycling sport events in September when the UCI World Road Racing Championship will again pass with 3 km of my house.

I live in New Hampshire where there's about a year before the presidential primary where you can't go into a downtown without likely running into one presidential candidate or another. That's my image of Belgium with world-class bicyclists.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-07-21, 05:01 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by 70sSanO
What I want to know is why do golfers spend thousands of dollars on equipment and replace it every other year. And pay $100 every weekend to spend 5 hours hitting bad shots over and over. And they do it every week in hopes that something will change and it never does. The only difference is no one will ever mistake them for a pro.

Answering your cycling questions is child’s play.

John

Golf is about social networking as much as it's a game. Bicycling has some of that, but golf has attributes that make it really suitable for the purpose. Let's be serious, all high-end sporting equipment can be used for status symbol purposes, so golfing with expensive equipment at the finest course makes a very strong status statement. Also, the nature of the competition is not physically exhausting, so you can "play hard" and keep talking the whole time. You get super-competitive in a biking activity, and the social interaction drops to nothing. Finally, it's a heck of a lot easier to get sloshed while golfing.

Hunting used to be used in this way among the wealthy, but that's problematic with the killing, guts and blood stuff. Also, getting sloshed while shooting is a bit nerve-racking.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-07-21, 05:08 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
I'd hate to derail such a valuable thread but I will die on this hill: John Cougar Mellencamp is a poor man's Bruce Springsteen.
Originally Posted by Koyote
This is a stupid thread, but this post truly offends me. "You Really Got Me" is by the Kinks, even if some California stoners covered it.
This thread was already surreal on it's obvious parallel to my life story with Lycra and hand waving, but this... this is downright frightening. I saw, in the 80's, Johnny Couger aka John Mellencamp perform as opening act for, wait for it, for THE KINKS in frickin Indianapolis, where the aforementioned Mario Andretti won the Indy 500 in 1969. Get this, Lola was written in May of 1970, which means Mario was still reigning Indy 500 champion at the time, since the race is run in May.

The parallels between Bob Seger's Silver Bullet band, of which i admit being a fan in my youth, and Al Unser Jr's Coors Light sponsored Silver Bullet Indycar that i watched race on person, again in Indy, are obvious.

Coincidence? I don't think so.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 05-07-21, 05:25 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 362 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 244 Posts
Four pages!

OP got us good - gold star for him/her.
Likes For noimagination:
Old 05-07-21, 06:42 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,270 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
They make bikes under $1000? My custom skinsuit cost that much.
Surely the guy misplaced a decimal; that should probably say $10,000. Bikes below $5000 I just throw into the ditch to give the vines something to grow upon. Doesn't everyone?
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 05-07-21, 07:16 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,490 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
More than $1,000?

That’s insane.

Old 05-07-21, 07:29 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Reflector Guy
Surely the guy misplaced a decimal; that should probably say $10,000. Bikes below $5000 I just throw into the ditch to give the vines something to grow upon. Doesn't everyone?

He actually didn't say "$1,000", he said "more than grand". I think he was asserting it would cost you a grand piano plus.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-07-21, 07:34 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
How does Bob Seger figure into that?
Bob Seger is his own thing however his own thing happens to be harmless dad who smoked a joint once at a party in 1973 and refers to that as his really wild and out of control days.
Likes For ksryder:
Old 05-07-21, 07:38 AM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by krakhaus
I've always wondered if there are people who are rabid Mellencamp fans. Like they own every bit of merchandise and bootlegs, and follow him around on tour. I'm just curious if those people exist. Same goes for bands like Huey Lewis and the News or any of those really mediocre radio rock bands.

A lot of older, financially stable women love that John. Call themselves Cougars. Then there’s the set of fans that celebrate his entire collected works. They’re called Mellenheads. For obvious reasons.
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 05-07-21, 07:40 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by krakhaus
If the fact the "The Big Bang Theory" lasted 12 seasons taught us anything it's to never underestimate the appeal of aggressive mediocrity.

On a related dad rock hill I'm prepared to die on: Lenny Kravitz is a poor man's Stevie Ray Vaughn is a poor man's Eric Clapton is a poor man's Jimi Hendrix.

(Ok I'm mostly kidding about the Clapton part).
Likes For ksryder:
Old 05-07-21, 07:54 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

If the fact the "The Big Bang Theory" lasted 12 seasons taught us anything it's to never underestimate the appeal of aggressive mediocrity.

On a related dad rock hill I'm prepared to die on: Lenny Kravitz is a poor man's Stevie Ray Vaughn is a poor man's Eric Clapton is a poor man's Jimi Hendrix.

(Ok I'm mostly kidding about the Clapton part).

OK, but if all of them were alive and at their physical primes, which one would win a bike race?

And have you ever seen the Big Bang Theory scenes on YouTube with the laugh track edited out? You can't even figure out which parts are supposed to be the jokes. It's all bland insults.
Likes For livedarklions:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.