Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Best inflator for air compressor?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Best inflator for air compressor?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-21, 10:50 AM
bdogChicago

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Fantastic, thanks for putting this list together.

Does anyone know what model snap-shut valve EVT is using? Trying to find one that is chrome plated and/or SS for additonal corrsion resistance.
Old 09-20-21, 08:39 AM
jnbrown

Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 52 Posts
I bought the Prestaflator years ago and it never worked very well.
There was also the Rapido Pro on Kickstarter. What a scam, complete piece of junk and they refused to refund me.
Gave up and now I use a Lezyne floor pump with Topeak Smarthead.
Old 02-27-22, 12:40 PM
nleopard

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Made using parts list + sks adapter and swivel connector

Only issue I'm having is some air leak above 60 psi between the sks adapter and the shrader clip connect -- any suggestions? Looked at getting a EVT presta head that clips onto the shrader clip connecter, but a replacement head from EVT is 58 USD!

Also worth noting McMaster shipping was ~17 USD.

No images here since I apparently can't post links as a new user. Images on an album on my profile.

Thanks for the list!
Old 02-28-22, 12:15 AM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by speedyspaghetti
Hey guys -

So I finally pulled the trigger on an air compressor for inflating tubeless tires, blowing dust out of parts, etc. Now I need to pick an inflator.

There's the Park Tool INF-2 which is super expensive, there's the Prestaflator in either "eco" or "pro" design for $50 or $70, and there's a bunch of Amazon ones with good reviews of questionable authenticity.

Which would you guys go for / do you have experience with any of these?

Thanks!
I bought an inexpensive-ish ($50) digital gauge inflator from an eBay seller (there's lots on EBay - digital and analog, analog being cheaper yet). It comes with two "heads" presta and schrader. Connects to the compressor with a normal quick release.

It's accurate - the digital gauge gives the same reading as my digital tire gauge which is also the same (as far as my eyes can tell) as my good old stick type tire gauge and close enough to my pump's gauge for consistent results. So it's as accurate as anything else I use.

I'm sure you can find similar on the mega-site that started out as a bookseller. But I avoid them as much as possible and prefer supporting the small businesses and bike shops that are EBay sellers.
Old 02-28-22, 03:50 PM
epnnf

Bikes: 2016 Masi strada vita due, 2019 Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 55 Posts
I use Jaco
Old 03-01-22, 05:12 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
The Park INF-2 is so good, I consider it indispensible. If cost is a problem, I’d sooner cheap-out on the compressor than deal with an inferior inflator head.

INF-2 is great for its ergonomics, which make it easy and fast to use. If you appreciate the meaning of “workflow,” INF-2 is tops. The one-handed operation is key; those that use a hose lead to the head cannot compete, and ia rigid inflator which cannot switch valve types with the flick of a finger, doesn't include a hook hanger, and doesn’t pivot—- I’m looking at the riculoisly priced aand ridiculous looking EVT, here— is simply ergonomically inferior.

It may seem like a splurge, but having suffered through trying to work with three other inflators, including the piece of cobbled together junk Prestaflator sells— seriously, I’ll never forgive them for that, nor will I spend a dollar on that brand again— the INF-2 seemed heaven-sent. It ended all of my futzing and messing around, and gets jobs done fast.
Old 03-01-22, 05:43 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
The parts on my EVT inflator look a bit different than the list created above.

I LOVE my EVT. One of my kids bought it for me as a Christmas present. Super easy to use, does not leak, nice wall bracket to hang it, and best of all is the pressure gage, it is quite accurate.
Old 10-15-22, 10:36 PM
55tele

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Creo E-Bike XXL with Custom Wheels, 1992 Serotta Colorado II with Dura Ace STI, 2021 Zinn Ti Clydesdale Team XXL with Ultegra Di2

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts
I second the silicone.....I used silicone grease (Ace Hardware) from a small tub, disassemble the Presta grommet and cap, dabbed the hole in the grommet, and re-assembled.....works like a champ!
Old 10-18-22, 09:41 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by speedyspaghetti
Hey guys -

So I finally pulled the trigger on an air compressor for inflating tubeless tires, blowing dust out of parts, etc.
Out of curiosity, what compressor did you purchase?
Old 10-19-22, 01:10 PM
blinky

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Tuscany with Ultegra R-8000 components

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
I was at the point where pumping my 700x25 tires to 120lbs just got to be a strain and so I got the Craftsman 1 1/2 gallon compressor -
  • I bought and returned the Park INF-2 inflater - too heavy but it did have a swivel head .
  • I bought and still have the EVT (2 in 1) inflator but the negatives for me are (1) heaviness (2) fixed head which meant I had to inflate at 12 o'clock wheel position to see the gauge , and (3) a tight and consistent presta connection was hard to achieve.
What I'm using now is an old fashion gas station ball chuck with a presta to schrader adapter - and also a hand held gauge to check what the compressor delivers - I already had several hand held gauges and adapters and the ball chuck was under 10 bucks at NAPA I think .

Last edited by blinky; 10-19-22 at 01:16 PM.