Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cycling glasses with some modern helmets: over straps or under straps?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cycling glasses with some modern helmets: over straps or under straps?

Old 06-21-21, 03:36 PM
shrimp123

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
looking into me.....
inside on the left and outside on the right when going uphills
both outside when on flats
outside on the left and inside on the right when downhills
both inside when it rains
Old 06-21-21, 06:40 PM
JackieYan

Bikes: Merida Big Seven

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Under the straps. Otherwise, I need to remove my glasses in order to take off the helmet.
I agree with that, although it didn't stop my glasses coming off as I was flying though the air when I was hit by a car a few months ago.
Old 06-21-21, 06:41 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked 790 Times in 402 Posts
Depends on the glasses and the straps. Some work better over, some under, and some over one and under the other, or under one and over the other, etc.
Old 06-21-21, 07:16 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
I don't have cycling glasses. I have Rayban prescription bi-focals (though I've had a variety of kinds since I took up bike 22 years ago). They always go under the straps. NEVER once occured to me to different. Today I put them on and tried it, and was worried that they could fall off and so put them under just like always. I hve the same Prevail helment.
Likes For dkatz1:
Old 06-21-21, 07:16 PM
dkatz1

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Over straps.... you have to look PRO.
I'm a professional amateur!
Old 06-21-21, 07:34 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by dkatz1
I'm a professional amateur!
So you're a FRED? (j/k)
Old 06-22-21, 01:14 PM
Dvdvija

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by AndreyT
Hello

I'm used to wearing my Oakley RadarPath glasses over the helmet straps, which is traditionally considered the right way to do it. That's how I used to wear them with my previous helmet - Specialized S3 (size M).

Now I got myself a Specialized Prevail II MIPS (size L, since M felt a bit too tight even at max setting) and I see that the front strap attachment points stand notably further away from the sides of my head with this helmet. For this reason the gaps between the front straps and my head on both sides are pretty wide (~1.5 cm). When I attempt to put my cycling glasses over the straps, I end up having to force the glasses' temples to squeeze the front straps towards my head. I can feel how the straps fight the glasses, especially when I put some tension into the strap by lowering my jaw.

Is this how it is supposed to be? Or am I supposed to wear my glasses under the straps with this helmet?
I like to wear glasses under straps. Strap help keep glasses in place.
Old 06-22-21, 01:21 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
Straps over glasses can cause an annoying whistle / wind noise...

YMMV
I've never had THAT problem, even at some of the stupid speeds I see. Maybe I just need to go a little faster!
Old 06-23-21, 08:18 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Over the strap because GCN told me it was cool.
Likes For NoWhammies:
Old 06-23-21, 04:00 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
I'd estimate that those who wear prescription glasses like me tend to wear them under helmet more. No sense in taking off ones glasses and fumble with them just to put on or take off helmet.
Old 07-16-21, 01:31 PM
AndreyT

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
I'd estimate that those who wear prescription glasses like me tend to wear them under helmet more. No sense in taking off ones glasses and fumble with them just to put on or take off helmet.
What exactly do you mean by "prescription glasses"? Regular glasses or cycling-specific glasses with prescription lenses in them?

Regular glasses should be worn under straps, no question about it, simply because the temples of such glasses are thin and straight. They not designed to be worn over anything.

Cyclic-specific frames are a different story entirely. Cyclic-specific temples are beefy and curved. The whole purpose of the curvature is to facilitate wearing over the straps.
Old 07-16-21, 02:32 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,163 Times in 1,322 Posts
There are a couple of aspects to this thread. The “I think if you are in a crash…” aspect which could be interpreted as “I’ve never really been in an accident where I hit my head so I’m just guessing.”

The other is the “anything other than the ideal securing of your helmet” aspect.

Like others, I’ve been riding for decades and have worn a helmet for decades. For me it needs to be secure enough not to flop around but not so tight that it is not comfortable. There is no way I can cinch the helmet so tight that ear pieces for glasses will not fit under the straps and still ride in it.

I have typically worn glasses under the straps, but I just tried the helmet on and put the glasses over the straps… meh. This is a 2019 helmet, but I have not crashed with it on.

Over the years I have had a few crashes where I hit my head while wearing glasses under the straps. Thankfully in all those instances the helmet protected my head, and more importantly I didn’t injure my neck or back.

That isn’t to say that one way is better than another as I think it really doesn’t matter.

John

Last edited by 70sSanO; 07-16-21 at 02:37 PM.
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 07-16-21, 02:40 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2594 Post(s)
Liked 1,922 Times in 1,206 Posts
What exactly do you mean by "prescription glasses"? Regular glasses or cycling-specific glasses with prescription lenses in them?

Regular glasses should be worn under straps, no question about it, simply because the temples of such glasses are thin and straight. They not designed to be worn over anything.

Cyclic-specific frames are a different story entirely. Cyclic-specific temples are beefy and curved. The whole purpose of the curvature is to facilitate wearing over the straps.
Well done, sir. Starting the thread with an open ended question ("over or under?") eventually followed up with "This is the RIGHT way to do it" -- and I fell for it!
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 07-16-21, 02:55 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6172 Post(s)
Liked 4,789 Times in 3,305 Posts
Helmet manufacturers probably need to specify what brands and model glasses may be worn with their helmets. Then they can write one of those multi-language documents with pictograms to show the approved way to wear them.

Old 07-16-21, 06:01 PM
Just Mark

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 2019 Cannondale Synopse 105 SE, 2015 Cannondale Quick 5, 2019 Specialized Fatboy

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 26 Posts

Wow. This puts my thinking on this in a whole new perspective.
Old 07-16-21, 06:20 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Mine are standard prescription glasses as I need to use base curve of less than 4 - that is no wrap or curvature in lens.
I certainly would not like to have to take off glasses to remove helmet - that just puts them at risk for damage.

Last edited by noisebeam; 07-16-21 at 06:23 PM.
Old 07-16-21, 06:47 PM
AndreyT

Quoted: 244 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Well done, sir. Starting the thread with an open ended question ("over or under?") eventually followed up with "This is the RIGHT way to do it" -- and I fell for it!
That's false. I started this thread with a question about peculiarities of a specific cycling helmet. This is a thread about Specialized Prevail II MIPS.

The general flamewar about "over or under" is of no interest to me. The fact that a mere passing mention of "over or under" tends to misdirect and drown the original topic is not something I can control.
Old 07-16-21, 07:43 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3648 Post(s)
Liked 5,382 Times in 2,732 Posts
That's false. I started this thread with a question about peculiarities of a specific cycling helmet. This is a thread about Specialized Prevail II MIPS.

The general flamewar about "over or under" is of no interest to me. The fact that a mere passing mention of "over or under" tends to misdirect and drown the original topic is not something I can control.
I'm guessing the title of the thread may have led to some confusion as to your interest. Also your comments in the revival post #61.
Old 07-17-21, 09:21 AM
Branko D

Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
Prescription glasses or sunglasses, I always wear them under the straps (which is how they are designed, anyway). It certainly doesn't prevent the helmet being as tight as is comfortable to ride with.

Crashed hard enough to break the back of the helmet once, the glasses went off my head nevertheless, but remained serviceable.
Old 07-17-21, 11:12 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1065 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 502 Posts
I employ the AC/DC method. Using a utility knife I make a vertical slit (a match flame seals the cut edges) at the location that is revealed with glasses over straps. Helmet gets put on and strap clicked in, then arms of glasses are passed through the cut with arm over leading edge first thus an over/under solution.

Seriously, straps ALWAYS OVER ARMS. Helps to keep glasses on when abruptly transitioning from a vertical to horizontal orientation.
Likes For OldTryGuy:
Old 07-17-21, 04:32 PM
jayp410

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts

This makes sense. As someone without regular glasses, I wear cycling glasses outside, mainly to make it easier to remove and reinstall them with one hand to wipe sweat off my brow while riding. It's a little more fiddly to do if the arms are under the straps.
Old 07-17-21, 05:35 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,394 Times in 1,928 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
Not to mention, if you forget that your glasses are over your straps when you remove your helmet, your expensive prescription glasses go flying off to land in the gravel or poison ivy, or just somewhere that you can't see without your glasses.
Old 07-17-21, 09:12 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Over straps for me, no question. Now I have a bigger problem: my helmet has a mesh inside that prevents inserting the glasses' temple pieces in the vent holes (glasses upside down of course) to look as an Euro Pro. Should I replace my helmet?
Old 07-17-21, 09:59 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
Over straps for me, no question. Now I have a bigger problem: my helmet has a mesh inside that prevents inserting the glasses' temple pieces in the vent holes (glasses upside down of course) to look as an Euro Pro. Should I replace my helmet?
I think POC Ventral Air Spin is the only helmet I have owned or tried that allows glasses to be stored right side up. All others, from a couple entry level to a good dozen high level, required glasses to be flipped for storage.
...and thats not including the few giro helmetsnivd owned or tried which didn't have a design for glasses storage. Those were super lame.
Old 07-18-21, 12:24 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
My aero helmet has miniscule ventlettes that are somewhat effective. Even if I detach the plastic cover that snaps into the vents, there isn't room for glasses. The helmet includes an effective shaded visor that holds securely with magnets, with the visor either down over the face or up over the helmet.

Usually I'll carry a pair of clear safety bifocal glasses with that helmet and stuff the glasses into a jersey pocket, or hang it off the back of my jersey collar. I'm farsighted so I don't need glasses to ride, but they are helpful for checking my phone or bike computer.
Likes For canklecat:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.