Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Venge Vias Stem/Bar Options??

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-31-21, 09:22 PM
AFlip18

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Looking to change my Aerofly I bars to flat alternative (Aerofly II preferably). I was told by Specialized that the Venge stem was specific to that bar/bike. Does anyone know what stem would be compatible with my bike and the Aerofly II? Or is there another flat aero bar stem combo that would work? I assume the internal routing of the Aerofly I is what's causing the limited options?

Thanks greatly for any help!
Old 08-01-21, 01:36 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
You are correct about that bar/stem combo. It is 2 pieces, but they are only compatible with each other…

IIRC, some of the pro riders were able to use non-VIAS stems by using a special spacer that had cut outs for the cabling to be installed through the headset and onwards into the frame/fork. I don’t think those parts were ever available to the wider public. You could call Specialized Rider Care, or try to find a Concept Shop that can help.
Old 08-01-21, 01:46 PM
AFlip18

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply!

To confirm, there is no other stem/bar combo available (Say 2018 Venge or later) that would work with that steerer tube/internal routing set up?

Thanks!!
Old 08-03-21, 03:31 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Originally Posted by AFlip18
Thanks for the quick reply!

To confirm, there is no other stem/bar combo available (Say 2018 Venge or later) that would work with that steerer tube/internal routing set up?

Thanks!!
I can't say that for sure, I only know that the stem and bar despite being two separate pieces are ONLY compatible with each other. That said, I did look up the manual for the VIAS, and based on the requirements for routing the cable housings into the frame through the headset, there are a lot of frame specific parts necessary for achieving this, AND the cabling from the control levers travels inside the bar and stem to the pints where it goes past the headset and into the frock and frame. I can't see, based on the design, how any other stem/bar combo would work unless it was designed to take all of the cabling from the controls to the headset internally.
Old 08-03-21, 06:27 AM
AFlip18

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Badger6 thank you so much! Greatly appreciate you digging in to this for me!!!