Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

water entry into wheels?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

water entry into wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-21, 07:30 AM
IPassGas

Bikes: Schwinn, Nishiki, Santana, Trek, Rodriguez

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
water entry into wheels?

I was in a heavy rainstorm and I took refuge in a baseball dugout. The water pooled over the bottom of the bike wheels for 30 minutes. The wheels have double walled rims. Does water seep though at the nipples, should I remove tires and rim strips to dry out the innards of the rim?
Old 08-09-21, 07:47 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
Do you hear water sloshing around in the wheel? I can't imagine a significant amount of water getting into the rim unless there are loose spokes Then you have a different problem. Spoke tension should keep water out. Any "holes" would be small enough that water tension would not allow entry.
I never thought of that situation before but my assumptions could be wrong.
Go for a century ride in dry hot weather!
Old 08-09-21, 08:43 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
You may have some water in the rims, and it could help rot the tubes and tires, but it would take a while.

A fun thing to do is to find a long, steep hill, and drag your brakes going down it. I don't normally recommend such a thing, but live dangerously just this once! The fun part is you'll quickly find out if there's water in your rims, because if you listen closely, you'll hear steam coming out of the spoke holes. That effectively dries out your rims, and of course you should ride a few more miles with minimal braking to cool the rims down.
Old 08-09-21, 10:26 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by IPassGas
Does water seep though at the nipples
Yes, and through the valve holes.

should I remove tires and rim strips to dry out the innards of the rim?
You can, but I wouldn't worry about it. Just give the bike a chance to dry out. I'd be more concerned about loose-ball bearings that might have taken on water, if your bike has any.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 08-09-21, 11:03 AM
gearbasher

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 904 Times in 383 Posts
I have a dedicated bike for riding in foul weather. I've ridden through puddles that were deep enough for my pedals to hit the water on the downstroke. Yes, water gets into the rims. I've removed the tires days after rides in heavy rain and the tubes were still wet. I also use this bike in the winter. I get salt deposit buildup under the rim strips from the salt water getting in then drying up, leaving the salt. I had one rim where the salt eventually ate pinholes in the alloy.

Last edited by gearbasher; 08-09-21 at 11:06 AM.
Old 08-09-21, 11:24 AM
quintie10

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, I'm new in this forum and I couldn't find how to create a thread.

I have got an Turkish brand bike. I will put a link down below this post of my bike and I bought a suntour swing shock suspension fork. I don't know which type of headset I should buy. I need help about this. The connector on my bike doesn't fit well. There is a blank between the headtube and headset. In the website of my bike it says my bike is semi integrated 1.1/8". There is a headset for my old suspension fork and it doesn't fit. I bought a new stem for my new suspension fork too. The stem I was using is old type I think. The old stem is going into the frame of bike.

This is the website for my bike:
I can't put a link because I'm new so if you type carraro elite 804 carrarobisiklet on google you can find the website.
Old 08-10-21, 08:23 AM
zebede
Hello

Bikes: n+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
Yesterday after getting caught in downpour on the way home.

1. Gently hose off bike to rinse away grit.
2. Wiped off seat
3. Let bike sit overnight in front of a fan in a dry garage.
4. relube chain next morning.

This is not my usual routine, which would include a full wipe down of frames and wheels ann relube chain and ders. But its rainy season and I had taken off my fenders (which I miss) to put on wider tires (which I love).

No I would not worry about water in rims, just let it dry out in front of a fan. There should not be anything to rust in there.
Old 08-12-21, 10:11 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I've found substantial amount of water in rim ~6 months after a similar event.

Didn't seem to cause any problem.