Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Where do you serious riders store cell/wallet/keys while riding?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Where do you serious riders store cell/wallet/keys while riding?

Old 08-26-21, 03:32 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2332 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
Yes, I personally discount the "serious" label when it comes to hobbies in general, but as long as labels continue to exist and continue to be discussed by those hobbyists, then there will always be debatable criteria needed to get to "serious" status. I've certainly thought of certain cyclists I know as "serious", but I don't think I've ever been negative and thought of ANY rider I've seen out there as "not serious", since they seriously wanted to ride their bike that day. Especially those using the bike strictly for utility, if anything they're more serious than the rest of us riding around in pantyhose on plastic bikes whenever the weather is just right. I used to consistently golf 3-4 rounds per week for a few seasons, in sun and rain, some would consider that serious, but I used a $200 set of clubs and had a 25-30 handicap (I don't think I ever broke 92), and was therefore probably seen as "not serious". I just liked improving at golfing and couldn't care less what my label was. Neither should anyone, since the labels are just for fun and don't matter one way or the other.
I am sure we would get along real good on the golf course. I was a +2. It isn't ability but adherence to some common decency and importantly knowing those things that determines, in my mind, a serious golfer from a hack. Simple things like not moving or talkin when others are hittin or not walking on the thru line of another player and just simply being ready to hit. For me, ability isn't the determining factor. In fact, some of the most serious athletes are the least advantaged genetically. Of course these labels do not matter.
Old 08-26-21, 03:57 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
I am sure we would get along real good on the golf course. I was a +2. It isn't ability but adherence to some common decency and importantly knowing those things that determines, in my mind, a serious golfer from a hack. Simple things like not moving or talkin when others are hittin or not walking on the thru line of another player and just simply being ready to hit. For me, ability isn't the determining factor. In fact, some of the most serious athletes are the least advantaged genetically. Of course these labels do not matter.
Quiet please, scratch golfer on the forum!

You're correct about etiquette, and made me realize that I forgot to mention that in my informal tongue-in-cheek list of things that make a "serious" cyclist. And you're also right that being ready to roll at the designated time of a group ride, or directly after a pit stop, is the equivalent of not playing ready-golf. Failure to being ready when you should is not a sign of a "serious" hobbyist.

BTW: I've always wondered how bike racing could be with a golf-like handicap system? And with the advent of eBikes, I could see us giving slower/heavier riders some number of watts of pedal assist, based on their past performance, and decreasing those watts (handicap) as the rider places better in races, or increasing watts if they become slower. Just a random thought I've had.

Last edited by Riveting; 08-26-21 at 04:08 PM.
Old 08-26-21, 04:05 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Because some things are clearly insults disguised as questions.

"Why do you wear such cheap and ugly clothes?" is a simple question.

"Why are you so stupid?" is a simple question.

"Why aren't you riding a real bike?" is in that genre. It's completely disingenuous to pretend otherwise.
No, it's not completely disingenuous.

"Ugly," and "stupid," are inherently negative. "Cheap," can have negative connotations, depending upon context. The same can be said for "real." In this instance, I think that "real" just means something that conforms to the guy's idea of a typical bike; for many people, a recumbent wouldn't fit that mold. I mean, do we really expect everybody on a bike to pull out a term like "double diamond"? Or is it fair to assume that someone might say something awkward while fumbling for words? Of course, the way it was delivered could say a lot about intent, but based upon word choice and context? I'm inclined to say that he didn't know enough to know that he'd committed a faux pas.
Old 08-26-21, 04:20 PM
macstuff 

Bikes: A Blue One and 2 Green One's, then there's the Yellow one. And oh, yeah, a Black One. Did I mention the Red One?

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 195 Times in 82 Posts
Small cross body bag worn on my back or bike bag strapped to some part of the bike.
Old 08-26-21, 04:36 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Every year I come across at least 3 or more serious looking cyclists on $10K bikes stranded due to a ruptured tire or once in a while they can't fix a flat.
Every serious cyclist should carry a flat repair kit and they should know how to use it. If they don't then they're not serious cyclists.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 08-26-21, 04:44 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Quoted: 6192 Post(s)
Liked 4,190 Times in 2,351 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Every serious cyclist should carry a flat repair kit and they should know how to use it. If they don't then they're not serious cyclists.
Well that cuts out about 90% of cyclists who think of themselves as “serious”
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 08-26-21, 06:10 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
No, it's not completely disingenuous.

"Ugly," and "stupid," are inherently negative. "Cheap," can have negative connotations, depending upon context. The same can be said for "real." In this instance, I think that "real" just means something that conforms to the guy's idea of a typical bike; for many people, a recumbent wouldn't fit that mold. I mean, do we really expect everybody on a bike to pull out a term like "double diamond"? Or is it fair to assume that someone might say something awkward while fumbling for words? Of course, the way it was delivered could say a lot about intent, but based upon word choice and context? I'm inclined to say that he didn't know enough to know that he'd committed a faux pas.
Seriously? What's the not insulting opposite of real? Fake? Pretend? Toy? Ersatz?

That wasn't awkward. He chose a very loaded term. I usually assume people mean the things they say, and the implication of the word he chose was bloody obvious. You're just assuming he was too stupid to realize it. I'm giving the guy the benefit of that doubt.
Old 08-26-21, 06:34 PM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 245 Posts

Trunk bag on my rear rack. Also a good place to store my lock, spare water bottles, spare tube, patch kit, multitool, and snacks. I don't carry a wallet, though, as here in Shanghai I can pay for everything with my phone so I pretty much never carry cash.
Likes For The Chemist:
Old 08-26-21, 06:54 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
I carry my cell phone in my jersey right pocket, my wallet is in my jersey left pocket and my snacks go in my middle pocket. I carry my keys and my apartment entry fobs on a lanyard that goes around my neck. It also doubles as a plumb bob when I'm doing hard pedaling and want a quick reference so as to avoid thrashing my body side to side.

My cable clock and repair stuff including a spare tube fits inside my seat bag.

If it looks like it might rain, I'll tightly roll up my rain jacket and toe-strap it under my seatbag.

Cheers
Likes For Miele Man:
Old 08-26-21, 07:39 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Seriously? What's the not insulting opposite of real? Fake? Pretend? Toy? Ersatz?

That wasn't awkward. He chose a very loaded term. I usually assume people mean the things they say, and the implication of the word he chose was bloody obvious. You're just assuming he was too stupid to realize it. I'm giving the guy the benefit of that doubt.
Tons of contexts, tons of synonyms, many of them inoffensive. Feel free to disagree, though. It may be bloody obvious to you, but others have different sensibilities and aren't looking for ways in which they may have been slighted.

Beyond this, I've already witnessed how the offended party has misinterpreted statements and found insults where none were directed at him - I'm not ready to count him as a reliable narrator on these matters and I'm not terribly interested in spending more time on his ruffled feathers.
Old 08-26-21, 07:53 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
I’ve done some serious riding, including across the US and then some in one trip unsupported, but I almost never take a pump with me during my 2 mile one-way trip to work. Seriously. Should I sell my $400 bibs and buy something with a “lot pockets”?

Last edited by indyfabz; 08-26-21 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-26-21, 09:29 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I’ve done some serious riding, including across the US and then some in one trip unsupported, but I almost never take a pump with me during my 2 mile one-way trip to work. Seriously. Should I sell my $400 bibs and buy something with a “lot pockets”?

Nobody strives to be a serious clown, do they?
Likes For Riveting:
Old 08-26-21, 11:33 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 707 Posts
cell on my handlebars. quad lock mount.

keys (if needed) in the pocket of my MTB-style shorts. if i'm riding from the office, no key, just a card key.

no wallet. for a really long ride, a credit card and $40 in the same pocket as the keys.

for a short ride (<40mi) literally all i carry is the keychain with a couple flat keys (no car keys), the cell mounted on the bike, and a mask. in case of catastrophe, that will get me into an uber and home.
Old 08-27-21, 12:03 AM
MyRedTrek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts
I even had one guy ask why I am not on a real bike or if I ever rode a real bike. The nerve. I stop to help and he insults me. Seriously
I suppose it could have been a clumsy attempt at being friendly or humorous though yeah it sounds like an arrogant, Richard-headed comment to make.

The obvious irony of his commentary seems to have flown over his head - he was the one stranded because his "real bike" failed.
Old 08-27-21, 12:28 AM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,071 Posts
For my commutes, wallet goes in right pants pocket and cell phone in left. That might be wool knicker or poly cargo shorts, depending on weather.
Rationale: I don't wear cycling clothes on my short commute; when I arrive I don't want to dork around collecting my stuff from a bag.

For sporting rides when I'm wearing lycra, if it's not raining then cell phone and wallet go in jersey pockets. If it's rainy, cell phone is stowed in a rain jacket pocket but the wallet stays in the jersey pocket. If it's super hot, cell phone might be in a baggie to protect against sweat.
Rationale: Baggage on sporting rides is not stylish.

For brevets, ID, credit card, cash, pen, brevet card, and route info go in a pouch on a lanyard around my neck. Cell phone is stowed in a frame bag, in a baggie if it's rainy.
Rationale: Jersey pocket is too sweaty on long rides. KISS - if everything's around your neck, you don't have to make multiple trips back to the bike because you forgot a thing.

In fact, I have the lanyard thing around my neck at the moment. I'm doing a 1200k Saturday morning, everything's all situation for that, and I'm wasting time on BF. And I am not a serious cyclist; that sounds horrid.
Old 08-27-21, 06:45 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
But in fact you're making a pun, which is joking, so you're clearly not a serious rider.
LOL.

Someone asked below "What constitutes a serious rider?".
Definitely not me. I'm an "avid" rider. 3-4 times a week, usually one really fast, hard drive, one easy going ride, a long Saturday ride, and then if time permits, something fun.

When I was in the USMC, there was a Sgt in charge of our squad. When he ran, he always tried to run at 100% of what his body could do. And when we had squad runs, we'd have to run at this pace. There was no fun or joy to these runs. They were fast, hard 3-5 mile runs, and I hated them. The squad hated them. And usually on Saturday mornings too. Apparently when he got out, he must have burned himself out, as he looked quite portly based on a recent FB photo.
On my own when I ran, I ran both fast and slow, but I made it fun. Just like my rides now. I'd run to the beach and swim, then run back. Or run to explore a new area around the base(s). Or when running with fellow Marines, chat about life along the way. My rides are no different. The idea is to make my rides fun, so that burnout never happens.
I guess my old Sgt would have been the runner's equivalent of a serious cyclist. Not doing things for fun.

But the OP would have been better to use the word "experienced" instead of serious.
Old 08-27-21, 06:50 AM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
Since I ride in a city I carry everything important in a fanny pack. Anything hanging on my bike is at risk of riding away if my bike gets hijacked from me, so nothing but food, water, etc ride attached to the bike.
Likes For mdarnton:
Old 08-27-21, 09:03 AM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9647 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
Originally Posted by zandoval
Wallet, phone, Hyland's, in a thin flat one pocket fanny pack around my waist. I also have a tool kit under my seat.

Rarely, and only If absolutely necessary, a small device for protection on a break away string under my shirt...
Interesting, a condom for a bike ride.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 08-27-21, 10:58 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18391 Post(s)
Liked 15,465 Times in 7,306 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31
Interesting, a condom for a bike ride.
You never know. When I was riding across the country back in ‘99 I met a girl in a laundry mat in Isle, MN on free dryer day. Yadda yadda yadda. I never heard from her again.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-27-21, 11:28 AM
Mista Sparkle

Bikes: 2007 Fuji Roubaix, 2018 Trek Marlin 5, Huffy Baron (Retired), Schwinn Twinn (On Deck)

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
I occasionally commute ~20 mi each way, usually in regular clothes. I've given up on carrying a wallet. If I need keys, they tend to go in a pocket (small ish keychain) but sometimes the saddle bag for rides >40 mi.

My phone case has a slot which I keep a CC in as well as ID. Between the case and phone I usually have $20-$40 case for a snack or emergency beer or whatever. It just goes in a pocket normally. Same when I'm towing kids or whatever.

When going for a longer or faster ride all I take is my phone in the center jersey pocket and I'm set.
Old 08-27-21, 11:57 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by friday1970
LOL.

Someone asked below "What constitutes a serious rider?".
Definitely not me. I'm an "avid" rider. 3-4 times a week, usually one really fast, hard drive, one easy going ride, a long Saturday ride, and then if time permits, something fun.

When I was in the USMC, there was a Sgt in charge of our squad. When he ran, he always tried to run at 100% of what his body could do. And when we had squad runs, we'd have to run at this pace. There was no fun or joy to these runs. They were fast, hard 3-5 mile runs, and I hated them. The squad hated them. And usually on Saturday mornings too. Apparently when he got out, he must have burned himself out, as he looked quite portly based on a recent FB photo.
On my own when I ran, I ran both fast and slow, but I made it fun. Just like my rides now. I'd run to the beach and swim, then run back. Or run to explore a new area around the base(s). Or when running with fellow Marines, chat about life along the way. My rides are no different. The idea is to make my rides fun, so that burnout never happens.
I guess my old Sgt would have been the runner's equivalent of a serious cyclist. Not doing things for fun.

But the OP would have been better to use the word "experienced" instead of serious.
I ride ironically.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-27-21, 11:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

You never know. When I was riding across the country back in ‘99 I met a girl in a laundry mat in Isle, MN on free dryer day. Yadda yadda yadda. I never heard from her again.

Probably turned off when you tried to wash the condom.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-27-21, 01:34 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
I ride ironically.
I thought STEEL was better.
Likes For kahn:
Old 08-27-21, 01:43 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
So, in other words, you and she talked for a bit.
Old 08-27-21, 05:18 PM
Warbird21

Bikes: Salsa Warbird

Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 85 Posts
I ignored the "serious rider" descriptor, but I do need to carry a phone (always) and keys (occasionally), as I usually ride from my home.

I have a garage opener keypad that I use to close the garage door, when leaving on the bike, and open on my return. Last night, wife was gone, I got home and the keypad didn't work. Luckily, I had my phone, with my Toyota app, and used to unlock my car, then hit the garage door opener. Whew. I have a key stashed somewhere, but it had been so long, I had no clue. Wife reminded me as to the location when she returned. So, the phone turned out to be pretty handy last night.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.