Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

TWO rear mech housing stops?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-03-21, 02:03 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,309 Times in 773 Posts

A while ago I rebuilt a frame that came to me with aftermarket Mercier stickers on it. It has a fork crown engraved mercier, but on removing the paint I found LeJeune original decals on the downtube, plus it has the willow seat-stay cap. (My decision to put Mercier on it after re-painting, sue me.)

Anyway, it also had a pair of housing stops on the chainstay, one above, one below:

Which I thought must have been a bit of re-work, perhaps when the fork was swapped. However, last night I saw nice touring bike with the same thing. I don't have a picture of that one, but it seems there were others. The bike I saw was a "Mikado Cyclotourer", and there's a pic of another Mikado with the very thing right here on BF:

SO - any other examples?

Last edited by oneclick; 09-03-21 at 02:07 AM.
Old 09-03-21, 05:10 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1601 Post(s)
Liked 2,187 Times in 1,092 Posts
A mount for spare spokes?
Old 09-03-21, 05:41 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
I guess this is done to afford the bike builder (whether it's mass produced or custom) as much flexibility as possible. The lower stop would be used if the shift cable passed under the bottom bracket shell and the upper stop would be used if the bike had a cable guide clamped to the seat tube which passed the shift cable over the bottom bracket shell.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 09-03-21, 09:36 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 414 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3780 Post(s)
Liked 3,284 Times in 2,145 Posts
-----

frame appears to have begun life as an early 1970's Lejeune and has been the recipient of a good deal of reworking in addition to a fork replacement

the under bottom bracket cable routing, water bottle mounts, braze-on front mech, shift lever braze-ons are all additions

in the first image we can see it shows the Lejeune cable housing guide on the drive side chainstay for the rear mech

Lejuene made extensive use of the Prugnat 62/d lug pattern at this epoch

original fork would have worn a Vagner flat top crown and Simplex forged ends

appears to have been manufactured as model Ref. 101

mfr catalogue page dated 1971-72:

​​​​​​

note that it yet wears its original Stronglight model 93 chainset, Lyotard model 45CA pedals and MAFAC Racer brakeset

-----
Old 09-03-21, 03:08 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
For Rohloff push-me pull-you shifting?
Likes For tyrion:
Old 09-03-21, 03:52 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrion
For Rohloff push-me pull-you shifting?
I'm trying to remember if Shimano or Suntour did something similar. What about the first generation Positron?

The other system that could have 2 right cables would be the duo Drive. IGH + derailleur.
Old 09-03-21, 05:25 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I'm trying to remember if Shimano or Suntour did something similar. What about the first generation Positron?
Both Positron cables ran in full housing that terminated at the rear derailleur.
Old 09-04-21, 04:11 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,309 Times in 773 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
note that it yet wears its original Stronglight model 93 chainset, Lyotard model 45CA pedals and MAFAC Racer brakeset

-----
It was bought as a bare frame, those bits are from the spares bins, so they are not original, but nothing else really is either...
Old 09-04-21, 09:43 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 652 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4719 Post(s)
Liked 3,034 Times in 1,874 Posts
On the pictured Mikado, it is a spare spoke holder., as suggested by SJX426. The Mikado brand consisted primarily of grand touring models and this was a common feature on them. The front braze-on isn't visible in the above photo but here are some photos of another Mikado showing both spoke holder braze-ons.

There have been a number of twin cable rear derailleurs over the years. In the mid to late 1950s both Huret and Simplex offered dual cable versions of their top models. The 2nd cable controlled the cage tension which, at the time, was considered important by professional and avid cyclists, to reduce unneccessary chain friction. Huret used a special duplex cable housing though you could run separate housing.

While Shimano's 1st generation Positron system typically used full length housing, it was possible to run mostly bare cables. This actually improved the accuracy of shifting (as does using modern compressionless cable housing). However, it was technically a single, tandem length cable that was routed from the rear deralleur, then looped around the shift lever spool and back to the rear derailler, to provide a pull-pull system. Cable slippage at the shift lever spool was prevented by a set screw.

On the Mercier, I don't see a 2nd braze-on for spokes, unless it is hidden behind the chainring. While it could be for a 2 cable rear derailleur, the top braze-on is mounted atypically far forward on the top of the chain stay for this function. Normally, the twin cable derailleurs used housings that terminated side by side, both on top of the chainstay, or they ran full length cable housing.
Likes For T-Mar: