Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Poor Rabbit Didn't Stand A Chance

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Poor Rabbit Didn't Stand A Chance

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-21, 10:26 AM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by TX_master
I live in the greater Houston area and rabbits are a problem even in the residential neighborhoods. On my morning fitness rides, which I have to start insanely early, it's not uncommon to come across a couple of them just having a conference in the middle of the street. And for them its more of a panic flight so sometimes they will run towards the danger, sometimes away. It's very random and that's what makes it particularly dangerous. I slow, swerve and try to wait for them to make a move but I too feel like it's only a matter of time.
I had a rabbit, well, rabbitS incident the other day. Riding downhill through a narrow alley (a regular bike route) and one darted across my path and then started to zig zag crossing in front of me three times. Finally, off into the brush. Quickly followed by another who wisely chose to only cross my path once. Those were my first encounters with bunnies riding although they are increasing in numbers in Seattle which explains the coyote on my street a few months back.

Squirrels are a more regular occurrence. Now, I hope the coyote has a taste for squirrels which have set up a very comfortable nest under my rooftop solar panels!!!
Likes For kahn:
Old 09-18-21, 12:48 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by 905

(That's my pet rabbit, currently chomping hay a few feet away from where I'm typing.)
Rabbits are beautiful animals.
I’m happy for you to have such a fine pet.
Old 09-18-21, 02:31 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1533 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 915 Posts
Originally Posted by J.Higgins
I remember the hordes of rabbits when I was a young GI in Texas. Unbelievable. Nightmarish for a kid from Maine. It funny how we think nothing of a thousand mosquitos buzzing around the neighborhood, but turn that into a thousand rabbits and we start to get worried for some reason.

Up here, our issue has been with chipmunks. Those wee sh*ts have been undermining my stone walls and walkways, and there are dozens of them on my property. I've killed 23 so far this year, and it hurts me greatly with every one I take, because they are pretty cute and fuzzy and comical when they are in the wild, but when they damage my property can cause similar troubles, they devolve to vermin status. One of them nested under the hood of my 2020 Ridgeline, and chewed right through the windshield washer supply tube! I tried to use my windshield washer fluid and it ran out onto the driveway!
You need a barn cat. You might be able to adopt one from a rescue or farm; set up a nice shelter for it, and the chipmunks will see the new predator in town and decide there's someplace else they need to be.
Likes For Korina:
Old 09-18-21, 03:16 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,603 Times in 2,907 Posts
Originally Posted by Korina
You need a barn cat. You might be able to adopt one from a rescue or farm; set up a nice shelter for it, and the chipmunks will see the new predator in town and decide there's someplace else they need to be.
Or maybe a nice cute labradoodle like this one who happened to kill and eat a squirrel this very morning. His count for the year, five small squirrels, two baby bunnies and dog knows how many more we didn’t see him catch and eat.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 09-18-21, 03:25 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
That's darn good advice.
Old 09-18-21, 06:49 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Originally Posted by rsbob
Or maybe a nice cute labradoodle like this one who happened to kill and eat a squirrel this very morning. His count for the year, five small squirrels, two baby bunnies and dog knows how many more we didn’t see him catch and eat.
Cute pooch. Saves on dog food, too.
Likes For Korina:
Old 09-18-21, 07:50 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18403 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts

She reminds me of my rescue boy, Stephen. He can’t get enough of outside. But the deck is enclosed, and he’s to big to scale the wall.

Likes For indyfabz:
Old 09-18-21, 08:25 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,603 Times in 2,907 Posts
Cute pooch. Saves on dog food, too.
Banana Slug? You from Santa Cruz or go to UCSC?

Old 09-18-21, 08:55 PM
Airfehr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 48 Posts
I had a rabbit once. Ran the piss out of it. Great little thing way back when.
Old 09-19-21, 04:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz
Rabbits are beautiful animals.
I’m happy for you to have such a fine pet.
I lived much of my life not paying attention to them; I knew people had them as pets (thanks Fatal Attraction), but it wouldn’t have occurred to me to get one. Then we moved to a house in the country with a front row seat to their little lives, and became charmed.

This eventually led to finding one of our own [volume alert],

and we’re very happy indeed to have him in our lives. More here, for anyone interested in rabbits as housemates.

As for the OP, so far I’ve managed not to hit one while cycling, but I’ve certainly come close. I just slow down and wait for them to make up their minds. Needless to say I really hate seeing them come to a bad end on the road.
Likes For 905:
Old 09-19-21, 06:49 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Banana Slug? You from Santa Cruz or go to UCSC?
Nope; I tend to wear hi viz when commuting, and don't go very fast, and I'm just happy to be on my bike.