Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

You guys will love this--no locks!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-08, 09:39 AM
TXChick
Almost Middle-Aged Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I work on a college campus and we have classes year-round. Today I had a meeting across the city, so I brought my car with me and ended up having to park a couple of blocks away when I returned. That gave me the opportunity to pass the two campus bike racks on my way back to my office. (I keep my bike in my building's stairwell, so I don't typically go by them.)

Anywho...I was surprised by the number of bikes--maybe about a dozen--but I was more surprised to discover NONE OF THEM WERE LOCKED TO THE RACKS. Not one! Three of them had cable locks running through their frames and wheels and that was it. Isn't that insane? I keep mine in the stairwell because only a few people have keys to get in there and the racks are too far away for my comfort.
Old 06-02-08, 10:03 AM
Diretemus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll tell you what's more insane... your profile picture.
Old 06-02-08, 10:53 AM
jdaniel

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Hey TXChic, I just got back into Lubbock and have been cruising around Tech on my bike. A LOT of bicycle commuters (on campus and off!) here in Lubbock... In any case, yeah, I've noticed a lot of bikes parked infront of classes and many of them don't have locks either. Kinda interesting.... It makes me feel better. I figure with my u-lock, thick cables, and smaller accessory cable, any bike thief will go after the unlocked bikes.

On the other hand.... is this an indication that our society is becoming more honest? Hmm... There's a pleasant dream

Old 06-02-08, 10:57 AM
kf5nd

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite, Schwinn Frontier FS MTB, Centurion LeMans (1986)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Silly white children !
Old 06-02-08, 11:40 AM
WilsonZone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Okay, now I have to ask. What kind of bike lock SHOULD I be using?

I bought one of those cable locks, are they not any good? I thought it would be fine until I read this post where TXChick said "Three of them had cable locks running through their frames and wheels and that was it". Umm, that's what I do. The cable is a thick cable and I go through both wheels and the frame of the bike. Is there a better lock than this?

I have to add this. When I first bought my bike I needed to get an air mattress from WalMart, about a month ago. I grabbed a water bottle, helmet, empty backpack, lights and my cable lock. When I arrived I put my helmet in my backpack, grabbed everything that could be removed from the bike and threw it in the backpack as well. After I made my purchase it finally hit me; I forgot to lock the bike. Talk about that sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach. I felt for sure I would be walking home. Fortunately my bike was still there. About 5 minutes two kids rode up with horribly rusted bikes. I lucked out, as I'm sure they would have taken it if I wasn't already at my bike.
Old 06-02-08, 11:50 AM
alpinist

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 26, Novara Strada, Novara Forza

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I park my bike in a bike rack in a basement parking garage in an office building. There are usually 3-6 bikes there each day, most I've seen is 8. One of them is never locked, just parked there. Sometimes another. They always park them on the other side of the rack, opposite the locked bikes, leaned up against the wall. There are also at least 6 locks fixed to the rack that I've never seen attached to a bike. One of them is fairly new, a heavy cable that's been there for about 6 weeks, but with no bike yet.
Old 06-02-08, 11:52 AM
capolover
No Sidewalks.

Bikes: Cannondale Capo.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
lazy.

I'll quote hartman:

Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: [after discovering Private Pyle's unlocked footlocker] Jesus H Christ. Private Pyle, why is your footlocker unlocked?
Private Gomer Pyle: Sir, I don't know, sir.
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: Private Pyle, if there is one thing in this world that I hate, it is an unlocked footlocker! You know that don't you?
Private Gomer Pyle: Sir, yes, sir.
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: If it wasn't for dickheads like you, there wouldn't be any thievery in this world, would there?
Private Gomer Pyle: Sir, no, sir.
Gunnery Sergeant Hartman: GET DOWN!
Old 06-02-08, 11:56 AM
Aquajag
Night Rider

Bikes: '08 Diamondback Response Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WilsonZone

I bought one of those cable locks, are they not any good? I thought it would be fine until I read this post where TXChick said "Three of them had cable locks running through their frames and wheels and that was it". Umm, that's what I do. The cable is a thick cable and I go through both wheels and the frame of the bike. Is there a better lock than this?

I have to add this. When I first bought my bike I needed to get an air mattress from WalMart, about a month ago. I grabbed a water bottle, helmet, empty backpack, lights and my cable lock. When I arrived I put my helmet in my backpack, grabbed everything that could be removed from the bike and threw it in the backpack as well. After I made my purchase it finally hit me; I forgot to lock the bike. Talk about that sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach. I felt for sure I would be walking home. Fortunately my bike was still there. About 5 minutes two kids rode up with horribly rusted bikes. I lucked out, as I'm sure they would have taken it if I wasn't already at my bike.
As far as locks, it would probably be determined by your area. I will say regarding the cable lock issue, I had my cable lock jam up on me while my bike was still locked to the rack. After about 20 minutes of messing with the combination (which wasn't working), I walked to Home Depot across the street and bought their cheapest set of bolt cutters and "stole" my bike back. So for me, combo locks are too easy to get through, but most people would recommend two different types anyways. Cable lock and U-lock or there's a set of handcuffs made by Masterlock that work for locking to signs and such or attaching your bike frame and tire.

So personally, thicker is better for cable locks, but use what you feel comfortable with. I stay away from combination locks though =D
Old 06-02-08, 11:57 AM
Laru

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I am embarrassed to admit it, but I had an awesome bike stolen this way. I was late to class and had forgotten my lock in the rush to get out of the house.
It was the only time I had ever left it unlocked, too. I would have failed the class on the basis of too many absences if I hadn't gone so, since I paid more for the class than I did for the bike I guess I made the right choice.

Old 06-02-08, 12:01 PM
Bike4More
Fixed Commuter

Bikes: Roads Moutains Fixed Vintage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I only lock my bike to police cars.

Seriously though, you should lock your bike to SOMETHING BOLTED DOWN. And not a parking meter.
Old 06-02-08, 12:05 PM
TXChick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah, the kind of lock you need is largely determined by where you live and where you're locking your bike. I was just making the point that these guys are using a not-very-secure method and not even locking their bikes to the rack. I would at least do that.

One of the lockless bikes is a vintage Schwinn Suburban in pristine condition. Don't think I wasn't tempted...
Old 06-02-08, 12:06 PM
TXChick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks exactly like this one: https://johnsvintagebikes.com/sold/74...ban/index.html
Old 06-02-08, 12:09 PM
making
Super Moderator

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1542 Post(s)
Liked 868 Times in 521 Posts
That is becasue every one in Texas is packing heat. No nut would steal a bike there, it would be traget practice, I'm telling you.
Old 06-02-08, 12:20 PM
brooklyncyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WilsonZone

Many years ago I had a Raleigh Supercourse that I would lock with a thick cable. One summer day I rode to Jones Beach on Long Island (as I often did), locked the Raleigh to the racks and enjoyed 3-4 hours in the sun. When I returned to the racks my bike was gone. The thief had easily cut the cable but was nice enough to leave it behind.

There are tools available in any hardware store called "cable cutters" and they do a very nice job; a cable "lock" is useless against their awesome power. These days I use Kryptonite's New York Fahgettaboudit lock. https://www.kryptonitelock.com/Produc....aspx?cid=1001. It has a large chain that is prettty intimidating and it's worked for me for several years now.

PS: It's a 3-hour walk from Jones Beach to the Long Island RR station in Wantagh.
Old 06-02-08, 12:20 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by making
That is becasue every one in Texas is packing heat. No nut would steal a bike there, it would be traget practice, I'm telling you.
There's probably even some old law on the books aimed at horse theives that you could use to defend yourself.
Old 06-02-08, 12:23 PM
brooklyncyclist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2 caveats: the Fahgettaboudit is expensive (worth it) and heavy (you decide).
Old 06-02-08, 02:01 PM
WilsonZone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TXChick
I was just making the point that these guys are using a not-very-secure method and not even locking their bikes to the rack. I would at least do that.
Ah, I missed that point. Sorry.

I do lock my bike up to something. I work downtown and we do get a few homeless people walking around here. I did park my bike at a spot next to the building with security cameras pointing to it and talked to the security guards about where to put my bike. I also cabled my bike and both wheels to a water pipe next to the building. I had hoped they would let me bring it inside but there really wasn't a place for me to put it where it would be out of the way and out of sight.

I think I'll get a better lock though. I have to say if someone stole my bike it would leave me pretty discouraged.

I think I'm going to pick up one of those Fahgettaboudit locks.
Old 06-02-08, 02:21 PM
WilliamK1974

Bikes: Schwinn World, Haro Flightline Sport, Gitane TdF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
I'm a grad student at a mid-sized urban university. It seems that just about all but one of the bikes I've seen there has been locked in some fashion. The problem is that most of them are using really cheap, thin cable locks and locking thru the frame or front wheel. It's insane. While more than a few of the bikes are X-Mart bikes, I've seen everything from vintage Schwinns to high-end Treks and Cannondales locked in a careless manner.

Back when I was an undergrad at the same university, there weren't nearly so many bikes on campus. I'm glad to see them and happy that the university is installing good racks for them. But some professional bike thieves could make a killing. I u-lock and cable lock my bikes the way Sheldon Brown said to, and would even if they were gaspipe cause I wouldn't want my stuff getting away.