Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Raleigh Technium?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-04, 05:12 PM
foehn

Location: The Alta Loma area of Rancho Cucamonga. About 45 miles east of Los Angeles, California. Uphill, downhill and across hill riding; not too level!
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Raleigh Technium?

I found a Raleigh "Technium" bicycle at a local thrift shop. The bike seems very lightweight, has alloy hubs, cotterless crank and friction shifting (down tube) Shimano derailleurs (sorry, couldn't read the group, didn't have my reading glasses). It was equipped with what looked to be new, or nearly new, knobby, skinny tires--yes, skinny, like on a road bike and had triple crank rings up front. The badge on the steerer tube was a medallion of some matierial and was not painted on. The frame was not lugged. I liked it and the only reason I didn't buy it, for a whole 10 bucks, was that the top tube was in my crotch; the bike was too big for me.

What is it, and was it a decent buy, or worthless?
Old 09-01-04, 07:10 PM
johnamus
September

Bikes: 1988 Raleigh Scott Tinley Tri-Lite Technium

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll give you fifty bucks for it. WHats the frame size?
Old 09-01-04, 07:45 PM
Leo C. Driscoll

Bikes: Trek 7300 FSX, Jamis Exile, Jamis Coda Sport, Raleigh Technium, Dahon Vitesse, Dahon Matrix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So get a new crotch ;-)

I have five bikes- not counting a Dahon Vitesse folder which may or may not turn out to be a good commuting bike- but my favorite is a Raleigh Technium I acquired in 1984 (and it's is still too big for me ;-)

It sounds like the Technium you were looking at is not pristine. But the frame is the thing. If it is teal, grey, and yellow, I'll join the bidding.

Old 09-01-04, 10:38 PM
johnamus
September

Bikes: 1988 Raleigh Scott Tinley Tri-Lite Technium

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Leo,
Im interested as to why you would like a yellow grey and teal technium. I just bought one that fits the exact description, its a tri lite Scott Tinley model. SO far I love the bike but havent been able to find anything out about it on the web, if you know anything about it Id love to hear it! Have a good one
Old 09-02-04, 03:27 AM
bonobo
<I>Pan paniscus</I>

Bikes: 2006 Raleigh Grand Sport and a Free Spirit (Huffy) heavy-arse mtb

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wowee! I haven't posted here in, like, forever, and immediately find a post about a bike that I recently acquired. A fellow cyclist for whom I do computer work gave me his old bike. It's too big for me, but it beats the poo out of the SearsFreespiritHuffy mtb I used before. It gets serviced by the same LBS who sold it in the first place.
Old 09-02-04, 09:24 AM
kgatwork

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johnamus
Hi Leo,
Im interested as to why you would like a yellow grey and teal technium. I just bought one that fits the exact description, its a tri lite Scott Tinley model. SO far I love the bike but havent been able to find anything out about it on the web, if you know anything about it Id love to hear it! Have a good one

I had a Scott Tinley Technium back in 1985 it was my first "serious" road bike (Entry level racer, top of the line Technium), it had adjustable rear dropouts, main tubes of 6061 aluminum glued to the steel lugs and a steel rear triangle. Components were a mix of suntour cyclone 7000 with 6 speed indexed downtube shifters, dia compe royal grande comp brakes, SR handlebar and stem, Stronglight A-9 roller bearing headset.

I put many miles (at least 20k miles) on it until I broke the right chainstay in front of the derailluer drop out, (due to broken axle/strong rider ). Raleigh had a good warranty back then, I got a replacement (Technium Pro, Tinley models discontinued) for the cost of the LBS transfering the parts. Unfortunately I was naive when I bought the bike as it was just a tad too big (58cm, I can just stradle the top tube) and the replacement was the same size even though I requested the next size smaller . I still ride the Technium Pro as a commuter/clunker.

I recall the techniums seem to be rather harsh riding, definitly harsh when compared to my Vitus 979 and my full CF bikes. Handling was okay, I think the 58cm had a squarish geometry 73 head and seat tube angles.

All in all, it was an affordable entry level racer.
Old 09-02-04, 10:07 AM
foehn

Location: The Alta Loma area of Rancho Cucamonga. About 45 miles east of Los Angeles, California. Uphill, downhill and across hill riding; not too level!
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
More Description: The frame on this Technium is painted grey, with what appeared to be original decals. Some chain slap paint damage on the right lower chainstay tube.

Originally Posted by johnamus
I'll give you fifty bucks for it. WHats the frame size?
Well, I'd have to go down and buy the thing if it is still there. I can put a hold on it for 24 hours at no charge and let you know if it is still there and you can let me know if you are still interested? How do you want me to measure the frame size--and tell me exactly, please. Or would the frame size be marked somewhere on it?

Originally Posted by Leo C. Driscoll
So get a new crotch ;-)
I wish--but I am rather fond of the one I have, having had it since I was born. . .

. . .(and it's is still too big for me ;-). . .
It's too big for me, period. I am somewhat of a clutz and cringe at the effects of falling crotch-first onto the top tube!

It sounds like the Technium you were looking at is not pristine. But the frame is the thing. If it is teal, grey, and yellow, I'll join the bidding. . .
Sorry, see my first comment above.
Old 09-11-04, 10:04 AM
Leo C. Driscoll

Bikes: Trek 7300 FSX, Jamis Exile, Jamis Coda Sport, Raleigh Technium, Dahon Vitesse, Dahon Matrix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is an image of my 1984 (?) Raleigh Technium TriLite. I recall purchasing it on 1984 as a road bike, but I found on Copernic (metasearch engine) that the Scott Tinley TriLite was introduced in 1988 ;-( https://retroraleighs.com/models.html

Anyway, this bike has been converted to a single-speed commuter. And remains my favorite bike!

As an SS enthusiast, I think you would ride at another level if you converted your Technium TriLite to single-speed! Go to the Fixie/SS Forum and get some savvy advice!

Old 03-20-05, 07:07 PM
bidaci

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
but I found on Copernic (metasearch engine) that the Scott Tinley TriLite was introduced in 1988 ;-( https://retroraleighs.com/models.html:
Dang...now I gotta go recheck the serial number on my Scott Tinley....Always thought it was a 1987 model
Old 03-20-05, 07:24 PM
BostonFixed
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sounds like an entry-mid level road bike from the 80's. Would make an excellent SS/fixie conversion!
A steal at $10!
Old 03-20-05, 07:48 PM
Wheel Doctor
Ride it, don't fondle it!

Bikes: Raleigh M80, Bacchetta AERO, Bacchetta GIRO, BikeE, 83' TREK 970, Catrike Speed, IRO Fixie/SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
$10 a steal. Wife and I went out for Pizza tonight and it was $20. I'll buy most any intact 80's name brand road bike fer 10 bucks.
Old 03-20-05, 08:37 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
The only way that it couldn't be a decent buy at $10.00 is if it didn't fit.

I'm surprised that you said it was lugless. Technium frames had an aluminum mainframe and steel stays. I'd think they'd have to have some kind of lugs at the seat cluster and bottom bracket to bond the steel stays into. It seems like they were at the economy end of the price spectrum.
Old 05-05-09, 06:39 PM
har831

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Raleigh Technium

This bike was made in Kent Washington in the mid 80'S. Huffy bought Raleigh after sponsoring the olympics and wanted to make an enthusiast road bike. There was the 420 460 480 and the Scott Tinley. I am not sure how each was speced because I bought my own components.
The top tube, seat tube and down tube were aluminum ,6016 I think. The internal lugs were steel, as was the seat and chain stays and bottom bracket. The tubes were pushed or swaged onto the lug that had two diameters like a graduated step with the first being smaller than the second. Adhesive was applied in the process so the downtube seat tube and top tube were swaged and glued together .There is a decorative ring there to hide the joint. The chain stays were brazed into the bottom bracket. There was never a failure.

Criticism was that Huffy had not taken the design far enough and chickened out by not making all of the tubes aluminum.

I put Campy Chorus on mine and have always enjoyed it.
Old 05-05-09, 07:44 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
That's good information. I thought the tubes were adhesived together - didn't know about the swaging.
Retro Grouch had been waiting four years for a response to his post.
Old 09-01-09, 10:05 PM
Ritterview
Tandem Vincitur

Bikes: BMC Pro Machine SLC01, Specialized Globe, Burley Rock 'N Roll tandem, Calfee Dragonfly tandem.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Dredging up old thread I am.

I am considering purchasing this Raleigh Technium as a college bike for my son. Apparently it all works, and can be ridden. About how much is this worth? $50 $100 $150 $200 $250?

Old 11-14-09, 07:48 PM
sonatageek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Since the thread has already given a pulse again, I just picked up a very similar looking bike, but with non-aero brakes and Suntour Accushift 3040 drive train. Paid $50 -- it has brand new tires, brake pads and had been recently tuned.

Originally Posted by Ritterview
Dredging up old thread I am.

I am considering purchasing this Raleigh Technium as a college bike for my son. Apparently it all works, and can be ridden. About how much is this worth? $50 $100 $150 $200 $250?

Old 11-15-09, 03:55 PM
Bikewer

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I just rebuilt and sold one that looks almost exactly like the pic above. Nice Suntour components...

I got 150.00 for it, it was in nice shape and I'd put a bit of work into it. I kind of like these bikes, I've had several. The bonded-aluminum frames seem to be a nice mix of light weight and compliance, and initial fears that they would deteriorate seem unfounded; there are still lots of these on the road.
Old 11-15-09, 04:16 PM
old and new

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wheel Doctor
$10 a steal. Wife and I went out for Pizza tonight and it was $20. I'll buy most any intact 80's name brand road bike fer 10 bucks.
LOVE IT !! Sounds like what I would say. Actually I have !

Can't believe perceptions on prices all things bike. I hope folks don't feel the same way about clothes needed to go out or to an affair in, much less food or the cable bill.
Old 11-18-09, 10:49 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
I had the High end steel bike back in the day...I found a crack in the metal ring that was placed over the lug joint where the two tubes meet, they gave an upgrade to the metal Matrix the frame was great very light....I used it for many years.
Old 04-26-11, 07:54 AM
Mexican Street Dog

Bikes: 1936 Raleigh Golden Arrow; Kona Honzo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yup,, Me too.

Among the bikes the dump guy brings by before he goes to the dump showed up a Technium. Light blue, 440. If I can get the seatpost loose I'll start building it before too long. I came w/o a crankset and has rusty, not great components- Hooray! let the fun begin.
Old 05-24-11, 01:39 PM
njdanny85

Bikes: 2010 Orbea Onix T105; 2003 Kestrel Talon SL Triple

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thoughts on this technium?

I found this Technium on craigslist. I am newbie looking for a starter road bike to ride around with and I'm looking to find a decent old bike. I'm a runner and I'm considering taking up biking to add to my exercise/training routine. Here's the link.

https://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/bik/2399528335.html

At $200, it seems a little high. I'd definitely buy it if it was only $10 like the OP mentioned . Your thoughts on this bike? I'm new to this so any advice would be appreciated.
Old 05-24-11, 02:01 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Nice, old thread! Har831 stated there were never any failures. That's not true. One guy in my club broke his Technium frame, the seat tube by the bottom bracket, in the middle of a week-long tour. That was a long time ago (obviously) but it seems to me the frame was either all or mostly red, not the red-and-black in the photos above.
Old 07-26-11, 01:49 PM
shoreviewswede

Bikes: Raleigh Technium 420, Giant OCR1, Giant TCR0... plus junkie mountain bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, nice old thread.

I have a red (mauve, really) model... 420. Has not failed. +

It is a subjective judgement, but I find it rides nice; is not as fast as my newer aluminum, but feels nicer when cruising.

BB wore out, so has cartridge now... replaced brake levers cuz I didn't want dual-levers... replaced original rims after bending the originals on a curb; otherwise, she is as she was originally. I'm thinking of replacing the crank though, cuz I notice the flex when standing.

I still enjoy the bike.
Old 07-27-11, 08:35 AM
borgagain
Oldtimer

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh LTD, 1985 Cannondale SR300 (2), 1986 ROSS Eurotour, 1991 Giant Sedona MTB, 1992 Trek Antelope MTB

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by shoreviewswede
I'm thinking of replacing the crank though, cuz I notice the flex when standing.
I don't think replacing the crank is going to reduce the flex which is a quality of the frame.

I recently picked up a red, white and blue Technium Pro from the curb and have been riding it almost daily since the rebuild.

https://backroom.hardsdisk.net/technium.html

I like the feel of the bike and don't mind the flex at all. On the road, it feels like a good quality steel bike to me.
Old 07-27-11, 09:21 AM
twinquad

Bikes: Cannondale T2000, Dean el Diente

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow, this has to be the zombie-est thread ever. Seven resurrections, if I'm counting correctly, over 7 years, and only 24 posts!

Nice bike, though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.