Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Looking for my first gravel bike.

Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Looking for my first gravel bike.

Old 08-18-22, 01:55 PM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked 605 Times in 362 Posts
My bad, I thought I'd picked the mens version but I only have high-school German from 20 years ago so foolishly though Herren was womens. That'll teach me to be a smart-ass and link you to the German version of the page!

It's a great bike from everything I've seen. The only reason I didn't buy one was because there was none in stock and I didn't want to wait (I was taking advantage of a work tax scheme that had a pretty narrow window).
Likes For Herzlos:
Old 08-18-22, 06:47 PM
Pugs2xLove

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
I'm a BIG fan of 1X drivetrains, but if you're going to do any loaded touring or backpacking, I think a double is the way to go. Might be true for distance riding as well, depending on the terrain you're covering. That said, I recently built a Ritchey Ascent with Sram 1 X 12 that has an 11-50T cassette, and the range is pretty impressive. Bottom line: 1X can be pretty great, but I don't think you'd regret having a 2X set-up.

With the right tire choice, I think either of those bikes would be perfectly capable for the kind of riding you're planning to do. I'd give the nod to the Marin, just because I prefer steel (this, after telling you to ignore frame material lol), but the Topstone is a very popular bike, for good reason. Hard to go wrong with either.
Thank you for your response. I think I'm better off sticking to what I'm accustom to which is a 2X for those long trips and try out the 1X for those "local" rides lol. I have a Jamis Commuter I steel bike which I use for Winter commutes. Not a bad bike but it does need some overhaul starting with the "Pee Wee Herman" ('stache) handlebar which I don't care for, but that's what it came with, and a better groupset and shifters. Not a bike I would spend much time working on since I only use it so many months in a year.
Likes For Pugs2xLove:
Old 08-22-22, 07:45 PM
Bogey Speedwell

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone, Trek Dual Sport, State Bicycle Klunker

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 69 Posts
I’m sure there are many options, but I spent 6 months muddling through info until analysis paralysis sent in. Traveling miles to look at different bikes and ride them, trying to find 2 or e of the top contenders in the same shop to ride and that never happened.

walked into a small shop not thinking this guy had anything good, and discovered he was a cannondale dealer. In the end bought the Topstone Ally 1, and absolutely love it.
Likes For Bogey Speedwell:
Old 08-23-22, 08:58 PM
wildstar

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bogey Speedwell
I’m sure there are many options, but I spent 6 months muddling through info until analysis paralysis sent in. Traveling miles to look at different bikes and ride them, trying to find 2 or e of the top contenders in the same shop to ride and that never happened.

walked into a small shop not thinking this guy had anything good, and discovered he was a cannondale dealer. In the end bought the Topstone Ally 1, and absolutely love it.
Good for you! The importance of having a good relationship with an LBS cannot be overstated. They can help you so much!
Likes For wildstar: