Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Notched Regina freewheels

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-22, 03:47 PM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts

Does anyone know how to remove a notched Regina freewheel without deforming the notches? A couple of months ago I saw a Regina f/w remover that had a fence around it. Has anyone used one?
Old 07-27-22, 04:33 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 2,567 Times in 1,072 Posts
Originally Posted by ironwood
Does anyone know how to remove a notched Regina freewheel without deforming the notches? A couple of months ago I saw a Regina f/w remover that had a fence around it. Has anyone used one?
The best tool I know of for this is a Shimano TL-FW10. it's better for removing Regina FWs than any tool made by Regina. Not made anymore but still available used or NOS on ebay.

The one in the long-ago Campagnolo tool kit is also good (for 5-speeds only!) but ridiculously expensive when you can find one. (There's one on ebay now for ~$250 with shipping). The remover for 5-speed FWs has the outer ring or "fence" that keeps it centered and strengthens it, but to remove a 6-speed, you have to use this add-on insert that doesn't have the outer ring. Clearly an afterthought, tacked onto an existing tool so they didn't need to redesign it. Humbug! Just get the Shimano tool. (I have the Campy too, but never use it.)

Oh yeah one more reason I say "eff Campy" is that when they made their own freewheel, with its unique helical remover, they could have made the new remover slot in to this old handle just like the Regina insert does. But no, they made their remover compaible only with its own, unique, non-compatible handle, which (of course) is astronomically expensive. Eff them! When I needed a Campy FW remover, I got the steel insert only (no handle) and brazed it to a piece of steel.

Mark B

Last edited by bulgie; 07-27-22 at 04:47 PM.
Likes For bulgie:
Old 08-01-22, 03:37 PM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
Thanks for the information, I'll look for one of the Shimano tools.
Old 08-01-22, 04:04 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
Campagnolo made a special service tool with a handle and an insert for 6-7 speed versions.
Old 08-01-22, 04:08 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by bulgie
The best tool I know of for this is a Shimano TL-FW10. it's better for removing Regina FWs than any tool made by Regina. Not made anymore but still available used or NOS on ebay.

The one in the long-ago Campagnolo tool kit is also good (for 5-speeds only!) but ridiculously expensive when you can find one. (There's one on ebay now for ~$250 with shipping). The remover for 5-speed FWs has the outer ring or "fence" that keeps it centered and strengthens it, but to remove a 6-speed, you have to use this add-on insert that doesn't have the outer ring. Clearly an afterthought, tacked onto an existing tool so they didn't need to redesign it. Humbug! Just get the Shimano tool. (I have the Campy too, but never use it.)

Oh yeah one more reason I say "eff Campy" is that when they made their own freewheel, with its unique helical remover, they could have made the new remover slot in to this old handle just like the Regina insert does. But no, they made their remover compaible only with its own, unique, non-compatible handle, which (of course) is astronomically expensive. Eff them! When I needed a Campy FW remover, I got the steel insert only (no handle) and brazed it to a piece of steel.

Mark B
the 6-7 cog insert most often did not need extra stabilization as the ID of the smallest cog did that duty.

agree that the twisted design could have been made to fit the original tool.
but they were Superior. Weren't they?
Old 08-01-22, 06:09 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 2,567 Times in 1,072 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
agree that the twisted design could have been made to fit the original tool.
but they were Superior. Weren't they?
Yeah I was immediately elated the first time I saw that twist-tooth remover, so cool... Then deflated, when I saw that the giant handle was going to be megabucks and not interchangeable with their existing handle.

Only rich people could afford Campy freewheels anyway of course, so maybe that's moot. But I used to spend a fair amount of my time working on boutique bikes for rich people, and not exactly climbing the socioeconomic ladder while doing it.* I wondered if Campy was making the tools $$$ on purpose to maintain the elite status, but that can bite the bike owner when he finds out his town has zero shops or mechanics that can work on his bike.

*not saying I'm poor — I do have a "complete" Campy toolkit after all. I just couldn't afford a whole 'nother toolkit just to work on the one Campy freewheel per year I was likely to see. I'm sure every bike mechanic in Beverly Hills has one though!

Mark B
Old 08-01-22, 07:52 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4337 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Does anyone know how to remove a notched Regina freewheel without deforming the notches?
What problem are you having exactly?
I used to clamp my quick release on top of the FW remover to hold it in place while I got it to pop loose with a big wrench, and then take the skewer off for the rest of the de-install. Bike shops would put the remover in a vice and twist the wheel by hand.
Old 08-02-22, 06:38 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
The Bicycle Research CT-1 also has the stabilizing ring like the TL-FW10. Also out of production, but can be found on the used market if you're patient.

Bicycle Research made an affordable helical prong remover for Campagnolo freewheels, as did Kingsbridge. While Campagnolo's helical prongs are arguably the best two-prong design out there, I've always wondered why they didn't simply adopt the existing splined design used by Atom, later Regina, Zeus, and Everest. "Not invented here" syndrome, I suspect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
br-ct1.jpg (16.5 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg
ct-9-handle.jpg (100.5 KB, 40 views)
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 08-02-22, 09:18 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by ironwood
Can you post a photo of the freewheel?
Old 08-02-22, 05:33 PM
repechage

Yeah I was immediately elated the first time I saw that twist-tooth remover, so cool... Then deflated, when I saw that the giant handle was going to be megabucks and not interchangeable with their existing handle.

Only rich people could afford Campy freewheels anyway of course, so maybe that's moot. But I used to spend a fair amount of my time working on boutique bikes for rich people, and not exactly climbing the socioeconomic ladder while doing it.* I wondered if Campy was making the tools $$$ on purpose to maintain the elite status, but that can bite the bike owner when he finds out his town has zero shops or mechanics that can work on his bike.

*not saying I'm poor — I do have a "complete" Campy toolkit after all. I just couldn't afford a whole 'nother toolkit just to work on the one Campy freewheel per year I was likely to see. I'm sure every bike mechanic in Beverly Hills has one though!

Mark B
Makes me recall Ernie's Pro Bikes in the Brentwood Country Mart in the late late 70's and early 80's.
Cool stuff, Money laundering is what we guessed.