Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

A lot of the recent "innovation" is a bad bargain for anyone not pushing a competitiv

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

A lot of the recent "innovation" is a bad bargain for anyone not pushing a competitiv

Old 08-08-22, 02:30 PM
  #1301  
Mojo31
-------
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Tejas
Posts: 8,147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6134 Post(s)
Liked 3,799 Times in 2,076 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
Beng has made his position very clear. If you buy a bike that was made in this century, and are not capable of racing and winning at the highest levels of competition, you are a sucker, a poser, and a fool.
People will often act in such a way in order to elevate their own sense of self-esteem when they cannot get the stuff or do the things that they secretly want.

No money for Hawaii? Just tell everyone that they are a fool for going since you can get the same experience on the shore of the local lake.

Can't afford the nice, carbon bike? No problem, just postulate that the same pleasure can be derived from riding a 20 year old bike that you bought for $50 ten years ago, and everyone should be happy doing the same.

Etc., etc.
Mojo31 is offline  
Old 08-08-22, 02:40 PM
  #1302  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 39,039

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 352 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20355 Post(s)
Liked 9,061 Times in 4,497 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
Beng has made his position very clear. If you buy a bike that was made in this century, and are not capable of racing and winning at the highest levels of competition, you are a sucker, a poser, and a fool.
If I have the time this evening, I'm going to be another one of beng's fools - I'm going to *gasp* buy a new, unopened bottle of liquor.
WhyFi is offline  
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-08-22, 02:45 PM
  #1303  
Eric F
Habitual User
 
Eric F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Altadena, CA
Posts: 2,891

Bikes: 2019 Trek Procliber 9.9 SL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 2,642 Times in 1,289 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
If I have the time this evening, I'm going to be another one of beng's fools - I'm going to *gasp* buy a new, unopened bottle of liquor.
I did that this past weekend. However, I won't be flinging it into a dumpster until it's completely empty.
Eric F is offline  
Likes For Eric F:
Old 08-08-22, 03:03 PM
  #1304  
Mojo31
-------
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Tejas
Posts: 8,147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6134 Post(s)
Liked 3,799 Times in 2,076 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
I did that this past weekend. However, I won't be flinging it into a dumpster until it's completely empty.
So did I!

But, I went cheap and got a big ole handle of Jose Cuervo since I was only serving family.

Agree on only throwing out empties.

But, I might also use the empty to wash my chain in mineral spirits, and then discard it into the dumpster.
Mojo31 is offline  
Old 08-08-22, 03:09 PM
  #1305  
seypat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 7,387
Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2524 Post(s)
Liked 1,577 Times in 1,021 Posts
The thing that's really bothering me about this thread is how does the OP pronounce his handle? No e after the g means it could go lots of ways. That's the real head scratcher.
seypat is offline  
Old 08-08-22, 03:23 PM
  #1306  
Eric F
Habitual User
 
Eric F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Altadena, CA
Posts: 2,891

Bikes: 2019 Trek Procliber 9.9 SL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 2,642 Times in 1,289 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31 View Post
So did I!

But, I went cheap and got a big ole handle of Jose Cuervo since I was only serving family.

Agree on only throwing out empties.

But, I might also use the empty to wash my chain in mineral spirits, and then discard it into the dumpster.
Mine was a big square bottle. Jack Daniels and Diet Pepsi are my go-to weekend evening beverage.

I've never done a mineral spirits chain wash before. I usually just run my chain through one of those chain cleaner box gizmos with degreaser while with chain is still on the bike, and then give it a good wipe-down and re-lube. I guess that's a habit born from the days before quick-links.

Last edited by Eric F; 08-08-22 at 03:54 PM.
Eric F is offline  
Old 08-08-22, 03:41 PM
  #1307  
m.c. 
Full Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 290
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
I bought one several years back.I always liked playing with them at my grandparents but the phone company came and took them from both of my grandparents homes decades ago. My rotary phone came with an adapter wired onto the plug that allows it to work, for now. I was told that once the phone company upgrades the system it won’t work any longer. I also have a touch tone phone in my elevator, a basic phone that doesn’t rely on outside electricity is required. It is a wall mount, I wanted a rotary but couldn’t find one that would have room to wall mount with the adapter on it.

Originally Posted by Mojo31 View Post
Have you checked the price of a rotary dial phone?

My daughter just bought an older house with a wall mount and jack for such a thing. I thought it would be a cool house warming gift to get her an old rotary phone for the wall since she is a cell only yute. But, nope, folks are selling working models for well over $200!
m.c. is offline  
Old 08-08-22, 04:07 PM
  #1308  
Mojo31
-------
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Tejas
Posts: 8,147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6134 Post(s)
Liked 3,799 Times in 2,076 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F View Post
Mine was a big square bottle. Jack Daniels and Diet Pepsi are my go-to weekend evening beverage.

I've never done a mineral spirits chain wash before. I usually just run my chain through one of those chain cleaner box gizmos with degreaser while with chain is still on the bike, and then give it a good wipe-down and re-lube. I guess that's a habit born from the days before quick-links.
I'm a waxer. It gives me a competitive advantage. It's a relatively recent innovation.
Mojo31 is offline  
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 08-08-22, 04:24 PM
  #1309  
m.c. 
Full Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 290
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
I drip boeshield on the links occasionally. they could all use a good cleaning.
m.c. is offline  
Old 08-08-22, 04:33 PM
  #1310  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 20,343
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5122 Post(s)
Liked 4,562 Times in 2,441 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31 View Post
People will often act in such a way in order to elevate their own sense of self-esteem when they cannot get the stuff or do the things that they secretly want.

No money for Hawaii? Just tell everyone that they are a fool for going since you can get the same experience on the shore of the local lake.

Can't afford the nice, carbon bike? No problem, just postulate that the same pleasure can be derived from riding a 20 year old bike that you bought for $50 ten years ago, and everyone should be happy doing the same.

Etc., etc.
This seems to be the most logical explanation. Why else would he be sooo bitter? Of course, he is a self righteous know it all, so there's that.
big john is offline  
Likes For big john:
Old 08-08-22, 04:49 PM
  #1311  
Mojo31
-------
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Tejas
Posts: 8,147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6134 Post(s)
Liked 3,799 Times in 2,076 Posts
Originally Posted by big john View Post
This seems to be the most logical explanation. Why else would he be sooo bitter? Of course, he is a self righteous know it all, so there's that.
Yeah, I don't get it. With one or two exceptions, there will always be someone with more money and some with less. Let the ones with more spend their money. Encourage them to do so, in fact. It's good for the economy.
Mojo31 is offline  
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 08-08-22, 04:56 PM
  #1312  
HTupolev
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Seattle
Posts: 4,140
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1906 Post(s)
Liked 1,170 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1 View Post
so dumping the cash into that is a waste of money unless they are okay with spending one or two thousand dollars for each mph gain they get
Why do you think that people buying high-end bikes aren't okay with spending one or two thousand dollars for an extra mph?
HTupolev is offline  
Old 08-08-22, 05:29 PM
  #1313  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 20,343
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5122 Post(s)
Liked 4,562 Times in 2,441 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31 View Post
Yeah, I don't get it. With one or two exceptions, there will always be someone with more money and some with less. Let the ones with more spend their money. Encourage them to do so, in fact. It's good for the economy.
Riding with clubs in this area exposes one to some people with money. They have been some of the nicest people in the club. My one friend buys high end bikes then sells them to other club members for half price. Several members have scored bikes from him, but he's not my size.
Once a club member was injured in a crash and the guy offered him money to cover his rent or whatever he needed since he couldn't work for a time. He hardly knew the guy.
Another well off member was also very generous and paid for the wedding and reception for a couple who met in the club. Incredible. He had an old steel Pinarello which he had stripped and plated with black chrome. The only black chrome bike I've seen.
big john is offline  
Likes For big john:
Old 08-08-22, 05:41 PM
  #1314  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 20,343
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5122 Post(s)
Liked 4,562 Times in 2,441 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev View Post
Why do you think that people buying high-end bikes aren't okay with spending one or two thousand dollars for an extra mph?
You must be new here.
big john is offline  
Likes For big john:
Old 08-08-22, 07:04 PM
  #1315  
Mojo31
-------
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Tejas
Posts: 8,147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6134 Post(s)
Liked 3,799 Times in 2,076 Posts
Originally Posted by big john View Post
Riding with clubs in this area exposes one to some people with money. They have been some of the nicest people in the club. My one friend buys high end bikes then sells them to other club members for half price. Several members have scored bikes from him, but he's not my size.
Once a club member was injured in a crash and the guy offered him money to cover his rent or whatever he needed since he couldn't work for a time. He hardly knew the guy.
Another well off member was also very generous and paid for the wedding and reception for a couple who met in the club. Incredible. He had an old steel Pinarello which he had stripped and plated with black chrome. The only black chrome bike I've seen.
There are a lot of people who are well off and very generous. I have one friend who paid for six kids’ college education. In addition to his own two. I don’t see the point in being bitter because someone has or makes more money. There will never be a society where everyone will be equal in all respects. Never has been.
Mojo31 is offline  
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 08-08-22, 07:17 PM
  #1316  
big john
Senior Member
 
big john's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: In the foothills of Los Angeles County
Posts: 20,343
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5122 Post(s)
Liked 4,562 Times in 2,441 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31 View Post
There are a lot of people who are well off and very generous. I have one friend who paid for six kids’ college education. In addition to his own two. I don’t see the point in being bitter because someone has or makes more money. There will never be a society where everyone will be equal in all respects. Never has been.
Nope. And it seems when we are riding together everyone is equal, at least there is no snobbery or reverse snobbery. We're all just riders.
big john is offline  
Likes For big john:
Old 08-08-22, 07:18 PM
  #1317  
Mojo31
-------
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Tejas
Posts: 8,147
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6134 Post(s)
Liked 3,799 Times in 2,076 Posts
Originally Posted by big john View Post
Nope. And it seems when we are riding together everyone is equal, at least there is no snobbery or reverse snobbery. We're all just riders.
Yep.
Mojo31 is offline  
Old 08-08-22, 08:11 PM
  #1318  
DangerousDanR
Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Fargo ND
Posts: 403

Bikes: Lynskey R350, Ritchey Breakaway, Ritchey Double Switchback, Lynskey Ridgeline, ICAN Fatbike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 115 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
If I have the time this evening, I'm going to be another one of beng's fools - I'm going to *gasp* buy a new, unopened bottle of liquor.
Dy-am!!!
The only distilled alcohol I have bought in the last few years was a bottle of Talisker single malt Scotch.

Aye laddie, ye can taste the peat. When a bottle of dumpster diving vodka is just as "good"?

Modern improvements: tubeless road tires, Threadless headsets, external bearing crank sets, high strength steel, and carbon fiber crank arms. To name just a few.

Does anyone think that the older steel frames are as good as a modern steel frame? My old school bike brings back great memories, but the tires get flats more easily and it starts to wobble above 30 MPH.

And EPS is wonderful. No need to trim the front derailleur. The computer does it for me. Easier to ride, more reliable, more comfortable, and measurably faster.

My modem Lynskey is less hassle and more FUN than my 80's Peugeot. And the Peugeot was their first line bike in 1982i! The Lynskey is a quality recreational bike
DangerousDanR is offline  
Likes For DangerousDanR:
Old 08-08-22, 08:53 PM
  #1319  
beng1
Full Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 329
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 161 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by ZHVelo View Post
Do you not understand why people spend money?
Apple's entire existence as a brand is based on this.Heck, there are brands that sell limited editions products that go for two, three, four times the original price in resale just because people want those things. And you wonder why people who have cycling as a hobby are keen to spend money on gadgets to do with cycling?
There are still plenty of bikes around 1k, there is second hand, if people want to not spend a lot, they could. The fact that expensive bikes are being bought is proof that you are wrong.
The lawn mower I have been using recently, but according to you, just as with my bicycles, I should throw it in the trash and run out and get a new one along with a Britney Spears record because the "Jonses" are doing it, no thanks, I will keep thinking for myself thank-you.;






Last edited by beng1; 08-08-22 at 08:57 PM.
beng1 is offline  
Likes For beng1:
Old 08-08-22, 10:02 PM
  #1320  
70sSanO
Senior Member
 
70sSanO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Mission Viejo
Posts: 5,222

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1717 Post(s)
Liked 1,796 Times in 1,114 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1 View Post
The lawn mower I have been using recently, but according to you, just as with my bicycles, I should throw it in the trash and run out and get a new one
It all depends if it is self propelled or not. I have found that no matter how aero I try to get when I mow the lawn with a non-self propelled mower, the self propelled model always wins.

Then again, artificial turf has definite advantages over both.

John
70sSanO is offline  
Old 08-08-22, 10:16 PM
  #1321  
Eric F
Habitual User
 
Eric F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Altadena, CA
Posts: 2,891

Bikes: 2019 Trek Procliber 9.9 SL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 2,642 Times in 1,289 Posts
Originally Posted by Mojo31 View Post
I'm a waxer. It gives me a competitive advantage. It's a relatively recent innovation.
Will waxing help me win sprints to the next dumpster?
Eric F is offline  
Likes For Eric F:
Old 08-08-22, 11:01 PM
  #1322  
Eric F
Habitual User
 
Eric F's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Altadena, CA
Posts: 2,891

Bikes: 2019 Trek Procliber 9.9 SL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 2,642 Times in 1,289 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1 View Post
The lawn mower I have been using recently, but according to you, just as with my bicycles, I should throw it in the trash and run out and get a new one along with a Britney Spears record because the "Jonses" are doing it, no thanks, I will keep thinking for myself thank-you.;





How sad. While you’re attempting to justify why spending your day whacking away with a tool considered obsolete before you were born is a good idea, I’d rather use a modern efficient tool that allows me to spend quality time with my family…or riding my bike…or taking a nap.

Last edited by Eric F; 08-08-22 at 11:11 PM.
Eric F is offline  
Old 08-08-22, 11:46 PM
  #1323  
Camilo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,682
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked 540 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by big john View Post
Nope. And it seems when we are riding together everyone is equal, at least there is no snobbery or reverse snobbery. We're all just riders.
And why should someone who buys something nice be made to feel bad about it? It just doesn't make sense and it's mean. I'm impressed when I see people enjoying the heck out of a cheap bike and also impressed by people who really enjoy using equipment that is "above" them, just because it's really nice gear. I never feel jealousy, unless having the thought "gee, that's really nice, it would be great to have one" is jealousy.
Camilo is offline  
Likes For Camilo:
Old 08-08-22, 11:51 PM
  #1324  
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?
 
genejockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 11,836

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6553 Post(s)
Liked 6,897 Times in 3,533 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1 View Post
The lawn mower I have been using recently, but according to you, just as with my bicycles, I should throw it in the trash and run out and get a new one along with a Britney Spears record because the "Jonses" are doing it, no thanks, I will keep thinking for myself thank-you.;




Dude, You went too far. The scythe is too obviously ridiculous. You should have stuck with an old push mower.
__________________
"Don't take life so serious-it ain't nohow permanent."

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
genejockey is offline  
Old 08-08-22, 11:55 PM
  #1325  
Camilo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5,682
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 657 Post(s)
Liked 540 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1 View Post
The lawn mower I have been using recently, but according to you, just as with my bicycles, I should throw it in the trash and run out and get a new one along with a Britney Spears record because the "Jonses" are doing it, no thanks, I will keep thinking for myself thank-you.;




I call bulls*** on the scythe, but maybe it's true. Have any action shots? Looks like a nice lawn ornament to me.

beng1 - could you please quote where someone actually said to you that you must buy modern stuff? I believe the points being made have been have been against your strongly held opinion that modern stuff is not worth it and self-righteous attitude anyone who buys it is stupid for doing it. But I don't think anyone has said Mr Beng1, you must buy it!
Camilo is offline  
Likes For Camilo:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.