Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Need High Handlebars

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Need High Handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-21, 03:51 PM
Runnergar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need High Handlebars

I want/need a high handlebar for more upright biking because of recent prostate cancer surgery and back issues. What models and years of bikes will take an adjustable stem so I can use on my trainer (7 gear cassette). I want to put a relatively long stem and of course won't need brakes. This is for my Cycle Ops only, i just need a list of models/years/brands that could take a tall adjustable (quill) stem. I can then search far and wide for a bike that fits the description you people tell me. Thanks all!
Old 11-21-21, 04:35 PM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
Nitto Technomic
Old 11-21-21, 04:36 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
It's a bit of a convoluted question, maybe the cart before the horse imo. Any fork with a 1" steerer will accommodate a wide range of tall stems (look up Nitto Technomic) or adjustable stems. I would buy a frame that I really like, that fits me at a price I'm happy with, and then find the stem/bar combo to give me the final position I want.
Also, define 'upright'. If you really want to sit up, perhaps an English 3 speed or roadster will work better using a sprung saddle. The geometry of these bikes shifts the weight of the rider back.

Fortunately, most all bikes made before 1990 have 1" steerers. Most...
Likes For clubman:
Old 11-21-21, 04:38 PM
denaffen

Bikes: Bianchi Nyala, Bianchi Volpe, Bianchi Campione D'Italia, Trek 640, Luxus folding bike, Schwinn Speedster, Bianchi Torino, KHS Aero Sport, probably something else around here somewhere

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 100 Posts
Most any stem will work on most any bike if you really want it to, although an adapter may be in order.

my assumption is that your current bike has a threadless stem and drop bars.

assuming that’s true, I’d suggest as many spacers as will safely fit, then a relatively short and steep stem ( like 80mm reach with a 35 degree rise) and an upright bar conversion.

or just go pick up a cheap hybrid to throw on your trainer.
Old 11-21-21, 04:50 PM
degan

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 54 Posts
Have you thought of a recumbent? About as little stress on that area as you can get on a bike, though I've never seen one on a trainer so I don't know how that would go.
Old 11-21-21, 07:03 PM
JaccoW
Overdoing projects

Bikes: Batavus Randonneur GL, Gazelle Orange Excellent, Gazelle Super Licht, Gazelle Grand Tourist, Gazelle Lausanne, Gazelle Tandem, Koga-Miyata SilverAce, Koga-Miyata WorldTraveller

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 784 Post(s)
Liked 1,238 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
It's a bit of a convoluted question, maybe the cart before the horse imo. Any fork with a 1" steerer will accommodate a wide range of tall stems (look up Nitto Technomic) or adjustable stems. I would buy a frame that I really like, that fits me at a price I'm happy with, and then find the stem/bar combo to give me the final position I want.
Also, define 'upright'. If you really want to sit up, perhaps an English 3 speed or roadster will work better using a sprung saddle. The geometry of these bikes shifts the weight of the rider back.

Fortunately, most all bikes made before 1990 have 1" steerers. Most...
+1 on the roadster. A tall stem with a short reach might help too. You cannot get more upright than something like this:

Old 11-21-21, 07:51 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
There were a bunch of two pivot adjustable stems in the later 90’s and ‘aughts, maybe even the later 80’s.

one I bought as it came with a bike I wanted otherwise. I have to dig it up. Adjustability could assist in finding the best position.

but a recumbent could be a good concept also.
Old 11-21-21, 07:54 PM
Runnergar

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you!

If u can dig up the models/makes of those I could start a massive search to find and buy
Old 11-22-21, 12:31 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 989 Times in 521 Posts
As stated above, Nitto Technomic
Old 11-22-21, 02:19 AM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Bikes: 1982 Holdsworth Avanti (531), 1961 Holdsworth Cyclone

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 295 Post(s)
Liked 673 Times in 339 Posts
I did some long quill research a few weeks back,
I'm not suggesting buying from them, but this site is good for finding what quills might be available:
https://southerndistributors.co.uk/p...es-forks/stem/

And if you want an even long quill of unknown quality (but really cheap) there's this
Promax Extra Long Adjustable Quill (300mm long)
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Promax-Extr...WK/ref=sr_1_20
Old 11-22-21, 05:36 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
I like to sit more upright but maybe not as high as you’re looking for. I’ve use a few different things to accomplish the but I like the clean look of the basic Kalloy Hybrid style stem but that does limit bar selection and can be a pain to get on some 25.4 bars.

A tall quill adapter isn’t as clean but gives you the advantage of easily changing reach and angle on the stem to get it just right.

Tall Quill to Threadless adapter, there is a section of hose on the quill to make thing look a bit better than just having that 1” stick leading up to bulge of the stem clamp

Kalloy Hybrid style stem.

A fabulous Salsa stem found on the Internet but not quite tall enough

Another Hybrid style stem

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk