Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Laptop or Tablet? What exactly is your setup for being plugged in?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Laptop or Tablet? What exactly is your setup for being plugged in?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-19, 03:21 PM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Thanks. Walking into Canada isn't as difficult as you make it sound, and it's also not as difficult to do as you are saying.

"I want to see the other side of Niagra falls."

End of story.

At least it was that easy last time. And when I did cross, I was nervous as crap because it wasn't as easy as it was 25 years ago, I was exhausted and looked like I had been up on some major drug run all night or something, and it was on a whim in the middle of the night.

The rest is just fear and not anything anyone really needs to worry about.

As for dealing with illegal America's in Canada...Never met one or dealt with it, ever. It's nonexistent in my world. No reason to put me in a classification that hasn't taken place, no plans to do, or anything else surrounding it.I have only dealt with illegal Canadians living here in Colorado. They don't seem to care at all about immigration laws. Kind of ironic hearing it from the other side of the fence when I never seen it myself or have any plans on breaking any customs or entry laws.

Last edited by Bike Jedi; 08-12-19 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-12-19, 06:42 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Vintage Schwinn
May I suggest ...
Metro by Tmobile aka MetroPCS's "unlimited" $60 plan is limited to 15GB of hotspot 4g data per month:

https://www.metrobyt-mobile.com/shop/plans

Verizon actually has better prepaid/no contract/4g hotspot data deals (16gb/$45):

https://www.verizonwireless.com/prepaid/#singlePlan

Also not mentioned, Metro requires 6 months of cell plan enrollment to make their phones, free or otherwise, eligible to be unlocked, so that you could use the phone on another cell provider's plan (one who permits BYOD). So count on spending a minimum of $180 + tax plus $15 activation fee, or at least $200 for that "free" phone if you want to use it somewhere else.

Last edited by seeker333; 08-12-19 at 06:48 PM.
Old 08-12-19, 08:53 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by Bike Jedi
I am a minimalist now. I live day to day in supermarkets now. I hand wash my clothes now purposely so I know what to expect. I have my home rigged so there is no major appliances to use other than a shower to get by just like on the road. No microwave.
I'm intrigued. You hooked me.

- Why do you live in a supermarket every day?
- Is it the same one each day or do you rotate?
- Why there and not a library, community center, or other common location that isn't a for profit business?
- Why not just work at the supermarket since you live there each day as it is?
- You mentioned running your computer thru a big screen...is that not a major appliance?

So curious.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-13-19, 04:58 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
You proobably will need a passport , passport card or NEXUS card to re-enter the US. I'm not sure whether a real ID driver's license would do.

It would be a good idea to have a passport in any case.

Gone are the days when all you were asked "Where were you born?"
Old 08-13-19, 05:21 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr

- Why there and not a library, community center, or other common location that isn't a for profit business?
- You mentioned running your computer thru a big screen...is that not a major appliance?

So curious.
i understood it as unplugging the fridge......shopping daily for perishables, eating uncooked food, taking cold showers, sleeping without heat or ac.

come to think of it, the idea of spending your days in a walmart-supercenter all day, living off the free samples could be good practice for an endless roadtrip with no job, no savings, and no means of support.

at that age, with no fixed residence and no skills, pretty much reduced to either selling blood or busking. in that case, i'd go with the 70L ortliebs with room for an accordion.
Likes For saddlesores:
Old 08-13-19, 05:26 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,493 Times in 7,316 Posts

So curious.
And let's not tell him that there are laundromats in many campgrounds and small towns. Apparently he hasn't studied as well as he believes.

OBTL
Old 08-13-19, 05:28 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by saddlesores
come to think of it, the idea of spending your days in a walmart-supercenter all day, living off the free samples could be good practice for an endless roadtrip with no job, no savings, and no means of support.

at that age, with no fixed residence and no skills, pretty much reduced to either selling blood or busking. in that case, i'd go with the 70L ortliebs with room for an accordion.

NSFW

Old 08-13-19, 06:43 AM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Jules lives. I am good with that.

He knew that divine intervention was in play, got a second chance, and walked away...

Maybe this is my second chance...and I rode away...
Old 08-13-19, 06:52 AM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Metaphorically speaking, not literally. I honestly wanted to just make a bunch of crap up there and roll with it...but I didn't. I ride up and get fresh groceries just about every day. I pretty much live on now what I would live on touring. I am a vegetarian so it's easy.

I actually rotate. The closest couple supermarkets are known hotspots for bike thieves and shady characters constantly sitting right next to the bike racks. So I can never go in and feel safe for long, and have to rush. If I want to go to a semi-safe one, then I have to ride much further. If I want to go to one I don't need to worry about, then I have to ride even further. So it depends on weather, mood, etc...

Because the library, community center, and other common locations doesn't sell groceries.

Why do I need to work in the supermarket because I shop there?

You do realize that I have a home correct? I am not homeless. I am not about to be homeless (well by choice I think). I don't need to be homeless. The homeless jokes are cute, almost a bit morbid and bizarre, but not my predicament and it doesn't have to be.

So curious.
Hmm...yea, not really buying that
Old 08-13-19, 06:59 AM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
And let's not tell him that there are laundromats in many campgrounds and small towns. Apparently he hasn't studied as well as he believes.

OBTL
Not sure with folks constant condescending attitude about something I want to do. Not really sure why when one guy like a Darren Alf goes on long trips, consistently, consecutively, etc..touring, he becomes a legend. When someone such as myself wants to do it, I am suddenly the homeless bum, even among alleged peers in many ways. Odd to say the least.

Actually, yes, I am aware of those things, and have used them. Counting on this in fact. Plenty of links to utilize and plan ahead for such services. Have an entire tool box of all the stuff you all have listed over the years of what to use, how to use it, where to go, what to look for, what website, what communities, etc, etc, etc...
Old 08-13-19, 07:04 AM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by saddlesores
i understood it as unplugging the fridge......shopping daily for perishables, eating uncooked food, taking cold showers, sleeping without heat or ac.

Well you obviously clearly read it wrong FYI.

Nobody every said anything about no means of support or income.

Nobody ever said no skills either. Not even close.

Not really sure what any of this has to do with getting a laptop or tablet for power.

Seems like back to the witch hunt kind of thing again

Not sure why they don't close the thread like requested to have it run a muck for nothing. Someone joins the forum, asks legit questions to folks that should be kin and get it in some ways, and it turns into a "let's crap all over this guys hopes and plans..."

Making it very difficult for folks to want to ask questions and seek sincere answers.
Old 08-13-19, 07:05 AM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Mods can you just close the thread?
Old 08-13-19, 07:37 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Metaphorically speaking, not literally. I honestly wanted to just make a bunch of crap up there and roll with it...but I didn't. I ride up and get fresh groceries just about every day. I pretty much live on now what I would live on touring. I am a vegetarian so it's easy.

I actually rotate. The closest couple supermarkets are known hotspots for bike thieves and shady characters constantly sitting right next to the bike racks. So I can never go in and feel safe for long, and have to rush. If I want to go to a semi-safe one, then I have to ride much further. If I want to go to one I don't need to worry about, then I have to ride even further. So it depends on weather, mood, etc...

Because the library, community center, and other common locations doesn't sell groceries.

Why do I need to work in the supermarket because I shop there?

You do realize that I have a home correct? I am not homeless. I am not about to be homeless (well by choice I think). I don't need to be homeless. The homeless jokes are cute, almost a bit morbid and bizarre, but not my predicament and it doesn't have to be.
You said that you basically live at a supermarket right now. Given that statement, all my questions made sense. Finding out now that 'basically live at a supermarket' just means you grocery shop there, my questions dont make sense. Again though, thats because reality is different from what you claimed.

By your standards, I basically live in my car since I use it daily for 40-60min(the same general amount of time someone would be in a grocery store to shop daily). I dont think anyone would ever view me as 'basically living in my car', based on my use of it.

Also, I wasnt making any homeless jokes- I was really quite curious as to your claim of basically living in a grocery store since its so different from what I am used to seeing.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 08-13-19, 07:55 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 100 Posts
Mods can you just close the thread?
I think that the original poster can delete the entire thread.
Old 08-13-19, 09:59 AM
Happy Feet

Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Not sure with folks constant condescending attitude about something I want to do. Not really sure why when one guy like a Darren Alf goes on long trips, consistently, consecutively, etc..touring, he becomes a legend. When someone such as myself wants to do it, I am suddenly the homeless bum, even among alleged peers in many ways. Odd to say the least.

Actually, yes, I am aware of those things, and have used them. Counting on this in fact. Plenty of links to utilize and plan ahead for such services. Have an entire tool box of all the stuff you all have listed over the years of what to use, how to use it, where to go, what to look for, what website, what communities, etc, etc, etc...
The difference between Mr. Alf and others is the attitude, as you've been told... and they have actually toured.

Question? If you have it all figured out, have studied this for years and are better than most at cycling - why are you here?

This is just a community of people who like to bicycle tour and help each other to do so. In your short tenure here you've already had several members put you on their ignore list and others tell you to tone it down with the mean spiritedness. It sounds like you currently don't enjoy your life and can't get along here so what do you imagine life on the road will be like? This is just a microcosm of the people you will meet out there in cafes, campgrounds, hostels and anywhere else those bike touring gather. If you take the attitude you have here with you on the road you will be very lonely.

I would seriously consider that. Almost any story you read about long term travelers involves their ability to get along with strangers for support and companionship. One tool you currently don't have in your toolbox.

I suggest watching Iohan's youtube channel for inspiration - not about gear but about behavior. IMO it's his attitude that makes his travel successful https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqi...QI9CqhH_kvHeOw

About crossing the US/CAN border for anyone else wondering (I know the OP has it all figured out). I live a 5 minute drive from it and cross on a regular basis. You will need a passport or Nexus post 9/11 and may be asked for proof of support while in country. More than keeping out unsavory bike tourists it's about stopping illegal entry to work without a visa. The stop procedure is completely random as are the questions so it's a good idea to have your story well thought out in advance: Where you're going, how long, purpose of visit etc... The border guards don't like vague.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 08-13-19 at 10:25 AM.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 08-13-19, 11:16 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Happy Feet
The stop procedure is completely random as are the questions so it's a good idea to have your story well thought out in advance: Where you're going, how long, purpose of visit etc... The border guards don't like vague.
You ain't kidding. In 2009 the GF and I did the Waterton-Glacier loop. Crossed at Roosville, B.C. Got asked those question. Also got asked what we did for livings. Then then guard spat out "When's your next day back at work?" It was the second day of a 9 or 10-day trip. I didn't even know what that day's date was, much less the date of the Monday I had to go back to work. I think I said "A week from this coming Monday. (This all happened on a Saturday.) My GF was good with dates and came up with the correct one.
Old 08-13-19, 12:32 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
Because the library, community center, and other common locations doesn't sell groceries....
Can't argue with that.
Old 08-13-19, 12:43 PM
indyfabz

Speaking of grocery shopping, I wonder if the next thread will be a "Which stove?" thread.
Old 08-13-19, 06:56 PM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
The difference between Mr. Alf and others is the attitude, as you've been told... and they have actually toured.

Question? If you have it all figured out, have studied this for years and are better than most at cycling - why are you here?

This is just a community of people who like to bicycle tour and help each other to do so. In your short tenure here you've already had several members put you on their ignore list and others tell you to tone it down with the mean spiritedness. It sounds like you currently don't enjoy your life and can't get along here so what do you imagine life on the road will be like? This is just a microcosm of the people you will meet out there in cafes, campgrounds, hostels and anywhere else those bike touring gather. If you take the attitude you have here with you on the road you will be very lonely.

I would seriously consider that. Almost any story you read about long term travelers involves their ability to get along with strangers for support and companionship. One tool you currently don't have in your toolbox.

I suggest watching Iohan's youtube channel for inspiration - not about gear but about behavior. IMO it's his attitude that makes his travel successful https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqi...QI9CqhH_kvHeOw

About crossing the US/CAN border for anyone else wondering (I know the OP has it all figured out). I live a 5 minute drive from it and cross on a regular basis. You will need a passport or Nexus post 9/11 and may be asked for proof of support while in country. More than keeping out unsavory bike tourists it's about stopping illegal entry to work without a visa. The stop procedure is completely random as are the questions so it's a good idea to have your story well thought out in advance: Where you're going, how long, purpose of visit etc... The border guards don't like vague.
This is all generalizing and marginalizing another. I won't contend with it. Thanks.
Old 08-13-19, 07:00 PM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Apparently staying on topic is irrelevant and optional.

Unsubscribed. Won't read anything else in the thread. Thanks for teaching me about the "ignore" button. I had to go look for it since it was mentioned.

Nice thing you are teaching folks. Hope your evening gets better.
Old 08-13-19, 07:22 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Apparently staying on topic is irrelevant and optional.

Unsubscribed. Won't read anything else in the thread. Thanks for teaching me about the "ignore" button. I had to go look for it since it was mentioned.

Nice thing you are teaching folks. Hope your evening gets better.
You claimed something, I grew curious and decided to bite on the claim since it was both confusing and interesting, then you completely changed your claim and responded like my questions were nuts.

And you think you have the high ground to criticize others for their behavior?
When everyone around is perceived as acting a certain way, maybe it isn't all them who are to blame.
Old 08-13-19, 08:14 PM
DropBarFan

Bikes: 2013 Surly Disc Trucker, 2004 Novara Randonee , old fixie , etc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by KFC
The laptop I choose (HP Stream 10) with the charger I carried (Finsix dart) actually weighed less than my tablet (iPad). I also carried my iPhone, which was my primary navigation device. I probably used the laptop no more than an hour per day when camping and on a couple of occasions I used the laptop USB port to charge my other devices (watch, light etc.).

That's interesting, I guess I haven't kept up with the laptop scene enough...turns out there are some fairly light ones at a good price. Laptops are easier to use, so if weight/battery etc is not a major issue, why not go with laptop vs tablet?
Old 08-13-19, 08:27 PM
Happy Feet

Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Although the OP isn't following now it's good to note that once the original question has been answered (which he said it had) it is pretty common for the conversation to wander. It's part of the quirky give and take of forum life.

You ain't kidding. In 2009 the GF and I did the Waterton-Glacier loop. Crossed at Roosville, B.C. Got asked those question. Also got asked what we did for livings. Then then guard spat out "When's your next day back at work?" It was the second day of a 9 or 10-day trip. I didn't even know what that day's date was, much less the date of the Monday I had to go back to work. I think I said "A week from this coming Monday. (This all happened on a Saturday.) My GF was good with dates and came up with the correct one.
Yep.
Just recently I was driving my wife to the Bellingham airport (flights are cheaper than out of Vancouver) and rolled up to the booth.

Where are you going?
Bellingham.
Why?
To take my wife to the airport.
Where is she going?
Arizona.
Well, why did you tell me Bellingham!

Straight face too. I swear they mess with you just to see how you will react. My number one rule - never argue with the border agent. "Yes sir, no sir, three bags full sir."
Other times we will get into long friendly discussions about scuba diving or photography as those are the other main reason my companions and I cross over.
Old 08-17-19, 09:47 PM
Bike Jedi
Banned.

Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Mods was asked to close the thread. Not sure why it is still going since it is not helpful to me and went way off topic.

Getting hit with double standards again.

Please close thread.
Old 08-17-19, 09:56 PM
chrisx

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 406 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Why not ride your bike without any electronics at all? Maybe just a light?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.