Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help ID - Rocky Mountain Sherpa (touring bike)

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Help ID - Rocky Mountain Sherpa (touring bike)

Old 10-30-20, 03:11 PM
Random Tandem
Old Bike Craphound

Bikes: 1974 Teledyne Titan, 1970's Sekine, 1980's Kuwahara Tandem, plus a few dozen

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
It's an imported bike with some decals put on it by the distributors.
Agreed, and the distributor was Rocky Mountain Bicycles.

-Will
Old 10-30-20, 04:09 PM
jrbz

Bikes: 3 Kona 2 Rocky Mtn 1 Bianchi 1 Miele 1 Specialized

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In 2016 I acquired a 700c touring bike with Rocky Mountain decals on the downtube.

Other decals include "Parker Process MIKI SAKAI", "Tange Champion #2 butted tubing", "Reckless Rider Bike Shop, Vancouver, BC".

What I find even more interesting is it has Shimano AX stem, headset, and brazed on shifter bosses (although someone had put on a pair of Shimano indexed clamp-on shifters ahead of the bosses.

The serial number is M4B12454.

All this seems to indicate that it was built in 1984.

I contacted Reckless Rider but they don't seem to remember.:-)

It had obviously had a pretty rough life, Shimano AX componets replaced with department store bike components. I build it up as a gravel bike with parts from my bins, a little higher quality. Its been a good ride so far.

I found a post, https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/188854-help-id-vintage-japanese-made-touring-frame.html of a bike all but identical to mine, even the serial number is close (posted down the page). Only listed differences being stem, handlebars and brake levers and it was sold by West Point bicycles in Vancouver vs Reckless Rider. The original buyer said it was sold to him as a "Rocky Mountain" but the decals hadn't been applied and he never got around to putting them on.
Likes For jrbz:
Old 03-25-21, 10:05 AM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 130 Posts
I know this thread is a little old, but I rediscovered an article by Bruce Goett from Bicycletta (onlnie magazine?).
It sheds some more light on Sherpa and RMB. Read the sections on Derek Bailey, Rocky Mountain, and Paul Brodie.

https://medium.com/@labicycletta/map...s-df97dd17d524
Old 11-23-21, 06:37 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 212 Posts
Dessicated thread, but what the hell.

I've been looking for a RMB Sherpa 30 w/ 853 in an XXL for a long while but never knew that RMB made an older Sherpa in a road bike. I do know they made a Sherpa in an early mountain bike style, then applied the name to touring bikes and now RMB has dropped the name associated with their (now discontinued) Sherpa touring bikes and again hang it on a high end mountain bike. RMB's marketing department is making me dizzy. Who knows, maybe they'll make a Sherpa tandem next?

Last edited by prairiepedaler; 11-23-21 at 09:55 PM.
Old 11-23-21, 07:15 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2287 Post(s)
Liked 2,028 Times in 1,244 Posts
Originally Posted by Hummer
I know this thread is a little old, but I rediscovered an article by Bruce Goett from Bicycletta (onlnie magazine?).
It sheds some more light on Sherpa and RMB. Read the sections on Derek Bailey, Rocky Mountain, and Paul Brodie.

https://medium.com/@labicycletta/map...s-df97dd17d524
There's clarity there. Thanks.
Old 11-24-21, 12:00 AM
garryg

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 140 Posts
Here is a very early RM Sherpa

Likes For garryg:
Old 11-24-21, 07:40 AM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
Since this thread has been revived, here's an example of a Dorado Cycles Sherpa, which has absolutely no connection to Rocky Mountain or Canada, but people occasionally call them Rocky Mountain Sherpas because that's what comes up when you search online for Sherpa mountain bike. Dorado cycles was a brand based in California and sold through Costco briefly in the late 80's/early 90's when MTB's were really taking off.

Originally Posted by Random Tandem
I think you do a serious disservice to Thomas Aquinas by invoking his nickname in this way - he was famous for challenging dogmatic beliefs in pursuit of evidence to support them, not just holding ground against reality.
And just to be a pedant, the nickname "Doubting Thomas" typically refers to St Thomas from the gospel of John, not Thomas Aquinas, the 13th century theologian. . .
Likes For AeroGut:
Old 11-24-21, 09:51 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 941 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler
Dessicated thread, but what the hell.

I've been looking for a RMB Sherpa 30 w/ 853 in an XXL for a long while but never knew that RMB made an older Sherpa in a road bike. I do know they made a Sherpa in an early mountain bike style, then applied the name to touring bikes and now RMB has dropped the name associated with their (now discontinued) Sherpa touring bikes and again hang it on a high end mountain bike. RMB's marketing department is making me dizzy. Who knows, maybe they'll make a Sherpa tandem next?
If you can find one you will not be disappointed, I picked one up as a bare frame. I thought it was a MTB and was pleasantly surprised to find out it was 700 wheel. I haven't used it in years but I did build up a wheelset for last summer. I had it setup as a flat bar hybrid, the 853 tubes in the Sherpa format is fantastic.
Old 11-25-21, 09:34 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66
If you can find one you will not be disappointed, I picked one up as a bare frame. I thought it was a MTB and was pleasantly surprised to find out it was 700 wheel. I haven't used it in years but I did build up a wheelset for last summer. I had it setup as a flat bar hybrid, the 853 tubes in the Sherpa format is fantastic.
Hello, it's surprising another sherpa found its' way down south. Break yours out and ride 'er! I have never ridden one but seen a few kicking around. They are kind of non-descript and there are prettier bikes out there. It was about a c$1400 street price bike but usually they can be picked up for about $4-500 in excellent condition. They don't seem to hold their value all that much. I would take another tourer (so many to choose from!) like that but the sherp30 is a canadian bike and I heard that it rides well. Perfect for a trip from here to Ottawa (eventually)