Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Ohio to Erie Trail alternate bike path route through Cincinnati

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-22, 11:46 AM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts

PSA for folks riding the Ohio-to-Erie Trail - this winter the Wasson Way bike path was connected to the Murray Path, creating a route between central Cincinnati and the Little Miami/OTE bike path that is almost completely bike path. Maybe useful for those who want to avoid road riding as much as possible or if it's just more convenient to start in a different part of the city from the usual waterfront start.

The Wasson Way trail starts on Montgomery Rd just north of the intersection with Dana near the Xavier University campus. It travels east on an old rail bed (with lots of street crossings, so a bit slow) until it reaches the east side of Ault Park, where it drops down to Old Red Bank Rd via a series of switchbacks. Those switchbacks and the bridge that precedes them are the new section. After a short distance going north on Old Red Bank Rd (a dead end st with little to no traffic), you can pick up the Murray trail at the intersection with Woodland rd. The Murray Trail parallels Red Bank Rd until just before Erie Ave, where turns east and runs along Murray Rd into Mariemont. At Plainville Rd in Mariemont, turn right and then left on Wooster Pike. There's a short stretch on a busy road here to get down the hill to the OTE trailhead at 50 West brewery, but still much less than if you take the standard OTE route along the river and past Lunken Airport to get to the same stretch of Wooster Pike. And the downhill helps with keeping your speed closer to that of the passing traffic.
Likes For AeroGut:
Old 03-17-22, 11:52 AM
Mrpotamus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Eh, I am waiting for the bike bridge over the Little Miami river. I think that will make a big difference to safely navigating the city. Getting to the start of the Wasson Way trail from downtown would be hard. I would avoid it and take the streets with bike lanes from downtown to the start of the Murray path until the bridge is complete.
Old 03-18-22, 01:01 PM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked 281 Times in 192 Posts
We're there in mid May, any chance you have this route mapped out on Ridewithgps or something similar ?
Old 03-21-22, 11:51 AM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by robow
We're there in mid May, any chance you have this route mapped out on Ridewithgps or something similar ?
Here it is on G-map pedometer: https://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=7646095
Old 03-22-22, 01:28 PM
a_d_a_m

Bikes: 2021 Kona Sutra, Ragley parts-cycle

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked 1,242 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by Mrpotamus
Eh, I am waiting for the bike bridge over the Little Miami river. I think that will make a big difference to safely navigating the city. Getting to the start of the Wasson Way trail from downtown would be hard.
I agree wholeheartedly. For those wanting to do the official OTET route, it's kind of counterproductive to get up to Wasson. However, more miles of rail trail are always a good thing for cyclists in general, so I'm in favor and the locals will certainly love it.

The new LM bridge will be a game changer.

Was thinking of riding OTET again this year since my NY trip got cancelled, but there's an extended construction project up near Kings Mills that has no real decent detour. I may pass on a long tour this year.