Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike Locks/Bike Theft

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike Locks/Bike Theft

Old 03-23-22, 11:07 PM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 600 Times in 340 Posts
Make a hollow metal bar, inside filled with pepper spray and dye. When they cut through the bar; pain and ID
Likes For MarcusT:
Old 03-24-22, 10:51 AM
StargazeCyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts
How about a different approach? A lock that integrates with the bike from the factory (think car lock)? It can be on the steerer or crank/ bottom bracket or fork/ hub. The bike won’t be rideable when locked and if you destroy the lock with brute force you destroy the bike.
Likes For StargazeCyclist:
Old 03-24-22, 10:53 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
Like the lockpicking lawyer mentions, it's likely easier to cut the bike rack! Or the no parking sign, etc.
You got me thinking about an old interview with my buddy (Andy) and Dero racks:

Recently The Oregonian ran an article about a new trend in bike thieves cutting through bike racks to steal bikes. Has that been an issue you’ve seen with bike racks in Minneapolis? Are the racks Portland uses similar to the Dero racks the City of Minneapolis uses?

Andy: I think we’ve been pretty lucky in the Twin Cities metro area. We haven’t been contacted much at all with these types of issues here. Based on the photo from the article, a pipe cutter was the tool used to steal the bike. (Counter to the article’s assumption, the cut is too smooth to be a saw.) Portland uses a bike rack manufacturer in the Northwest that uses a lighter gauge material for their racks – they probably used this based on cost issues. The bike racks that Dero manufactures use a heavier duty schedule 40 steel pipe. Both racks are susceptible to a pipe cutter, but a heavier duty rack will take longer to cut and may deter bike thieves. Another issue is that the bike racks use round pipe, which can be cut by a pipe cutter. Any racks that are inverted-U racks or hoop racks made with round pipe are at risk to pipe cutting. The Dero Bike Hitch Rack that the City of Minneapolis uses won’t work with pipe cutters, since the pipe cutting tool can’t spin all the way around the locking arms (this is good news).

One of the suggestions in that article is filling bike racks with concrete to make them more secure. Is that something Dero has considered, and what other technologies might work better to stop bike thieves?

Andy: We’ve experimented with filling our Hoop Racks internally with concrete and that was a nightmare. It’s not economical, takes a lot of labor and time, and has to be done onsite at the installation location. A better option is to weld a chain on the inside of an inverted-U bike rack from end to end. We have manufactured a large amount bike racks for the City of Los Angeles and have included a chain welded to the inside of the rack. Pipe cutters can cut the outer pipe, but won’t be able to get through the interior chain. The chain acts as a separate safety feature.
https://www.dero.com/tips/secure-bike-parking/
Old 03-24-22, 11:09 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1646 Post(s)
Liked 1,785 Times in 1,041 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusT
Make a hollow metal bar, inside filled with pepper spray and dye. When they cut through the bar; pain and ID
You mean, like the SkunkLock™️?
Old 03-24-22, 11:22 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, 1982 Stumpjumper, Alex Moulton AM, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i8, 2021 Motobecane Turino 1x12

Originally Posted by aggieian
Hello all! I am a engineer currently working with a team of students to develop a new...anti-theft bike.
Fold it up & take it with you.

Of course, not exactly a 'new' idea. Since 1899:

Likes For tcs:
Old 03-24-22, 11:29 AM
MarcusT

Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 600 Times in 340 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
You mean, like the SkunkLock™️?
It's really a thing? I was not that serious
Old 03-24-22, 11:31 AM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by StargazeCyclist
How about a different approach? A lock that integrates with the bike from the factory (think car lock)? It can be on the steerer or crank/ bottom bracket or fork/ hub.
Hoodibabaa! What will they think of next?!?

Old 03-24-22, 11:52 AM
tcs
Palmer

A better option is to weld a chain on the inside of an inverted-U bike rack from end to end. We have manufactured a large amount of bike racks for the City of Los Angeles and have included a chain welded to the inside of the rack. Pipe cutters can cut the outer pipe, but won’t be able to get through the interior chain. The chain acts as a separate safety feature.

Old 03-24-22, 12:03 PM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by MarcusT
It's really a thing? I was not that serious
Ladies and gentlemen: the SkunkLock! A charge card & internet connection and one can be delivered to your door.

I was imagining a hardened steel U with a magnesium core. You cut it with an angle grinder, it catches fire! Hmph. Probably burn through your tire, though.
Old 03-24-22, 12:39 PM
gpburdell

Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 130 Posts
We really need to figure out how to implement a bicycle equivalent of the Trunk Monkey...

Likes For gpburdell:
Old 03-24-22, 01:26 PM
tcs
Palmer

I was wondering what experiences you guys have had with bike theft/locks for some research. Thanks!
Real-world experiences, not just hearsay and internet stories? My personal experience is that combined with good locking technique and being smart about where and when I locked my bike up in public, I used the same Citadel U-lock from 1977 until just a few years ago when I retired and quit commuting.
Likes For tcs:
Old 03-24-22, 03:57 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,300 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
Real-world experiences, not just hearsay and internet stories? My personal experience is that combined with good locking technique and being smart about where and when I locked my bike up in public, I used the same Citadel U-lock from 1977 until just a few years ago when I retired and quit commuting.
Exactly.

/thread
Old 03-24-22, 04:59 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 562 Times in 328 Posts
I recently looked at the market to replace this:

Small light and I can pick it in 10 seconds.

I want a combination lock because I haven’t lost my mind (yet).

I use this when I’m not carrying U-lock. I use it when stepping away for a moment. I understand the risk.

I am now using a 40 year old Master classic rotary with a cable because I couldn’t find anything better on the market.

To summarize, a light , compact combination lock that lets me look away for 30 seconds..that’s what I’d buy at a $40 price point.
Likes For flangehead:
Old 03-24-22, 05:03 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
Originally Posted by Calsun
Bike theft is a trivial concern compared to getting hit by an inattentive motorist. Better to focus on a project to improve the visibility of a bike with its rider on city streets.
Theft is not a trivial concern for me. I almost never need to step away from my bike when out riding and plan my trips accordingly. Visibility is something I can do, high vis vest or windbreaker, flashing lights front and rear.

So probably getting hit is more likely for me than theft.
Old 03-24-22, 05:06 PM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Quoted: 830 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 345 Posts
Originally Posted by rm -rf
Like the lockpicking lawyer mentions, it's likely easier to cut the bike rack! Or the no parking sign, etc.
We had a case a while back where thieves cut a bike rack and then hid the damage to make bikes easier to steal:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-35669181

And I've seen plenty bolted to the ground, which wouldn't be hard to loosen. I guess nothing is truly safe.
Old 03-27-22, 12:11 PM
jeneralist 

Bikes: DOST Kope CVT e-bike; Bilenky Ti Tourlite

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 23 Posts
I discovered the hard way that the lock that worked in the suburbs was not up to the job in Center City Philadelphia the hard way, about 15 year ago now. (Side note: if you ever see someone riding the subway carrying helmet and panniers, but no bike in sight -- offer your condolences.) Since then, I have often pulled rank to be able to bring my bike into my office.

Locking the bike on tours is a different issue -- I leave it out of my sight for less time, but if it gets taken I'm in a deeper hole.

Current lock is an Abus Bordo. Always looking for something better.
Old 03-27-22, 12:53 PM
kahn

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
I still come back to my default position. If the lock is so successful at keeping the bike from being stolen than the thief might conclude:

"If I can't have this bike, neither can the owner" as he/she takes the angle grinder to the top tube or downtube or forks. U-lock takes 15 seconds, chain 20 seconds, cable a snip. Top tube 2 seconds.
Likes For kahn:
Old 03-27-22, 02:09 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,595 Times in 1,021 Posts
This project is going to be real hard. Maybe better to design a home assembled proximity device from economical off the shelf items to be used in addition to a lock.
Old 03-27-22, 06:36 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,300 Times in 7,231 Posts
Originally Posted by kahn
I still come back to my default position. If the lock is so successful at keeping the bike from being stolen than the thief might conclude:

"If I can't have this bike, neither can the owner" as he/she takes the angle grinder to the top tube or downtube or forks. U-lock takes 15 seconds, chain 20 seconds, cable a snip. Top tube 2 seconds.
Good lord. Doomsday. Sad.

Last edited by indyfabz; 03-27-22 at 06:43 PM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 03-27-22, 06:57 PM
qwaalodge
Banned.

Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 79 Times in 61 Posts
I was wondering what experiences you guys have had with bike theft/locks for some research. Thanks!
Nothing beats riding a dirt cheap beater bike for anti-theft. No one would even bother taking a 2nd look. And if it gets stolen by someone high, you don't cry about it
Old 03-28-22, 08:24 AM
aggieian

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just a capstone project not planning on selling anything so dont worry!
Old 03-28-22, 08:38 AM
aggieian

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by soyabean
I just love how the OP is putting their entire R&D with students and strangers on the internet to make yet again a new product nevre seen before that will stop my $5000 asset from being stolen.
Bro why are you so pressed LMAO
Old 03-28-22, 09:23 AM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 247 Posts
Just a capstone project not planning on selling anything so dont worry!
So instead of doing your own hard legwork by working with local cycling organizations, visiting associate experts at LBS, and the purchasing as many popular locks possible to inspect how they are built, instead you take the easy way out, cheating with minimal work possible on your smartphone, getting BF members to do the work for you, all just to get an easy school grade? And not amount to anything real?

Old 03-28-22, 09:37 AM
aggieian

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bro you're really mad about a high-school student doing survey work like every other professional in the industry. Who hurt you? Nobody else is mad why are you go ride and don't be mad over something so small! Just trying to get some input from such a big community.

(You probably ride a lefty don't you)
Likes For aggieian:
Old 03-28-22, 10:38 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
I’m not an engineer, but it would seem that using a material that can be compressed and contains a ceramic/aluminum oxide to defeat cutting is what I would pursue.

While no lock is foolproof, being able to compress material from 13mm to 2mm without breaking and integrating grit the same hardness as grinding wheels, would at least slow down some thieves.

John

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.