Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Recommend me a 10-20W foldable Solar panel for biking

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-22, 03:17 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts

Did a search but didn’t find many recent relevant discussions.

I’m going to be doing more multi day trips this year and being self sufficient for recharging my phone is desirable. I have a 15000mAh 18W battery bank and would just charge that directly, than charge my devices off the battery bank.

Looking for something foldable I can hang off the rear bike rack or a tree in camp. Taking recommendations, thanks.
Old 04-16-22, 05:18 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
I have an Anker Power Port rated at 21 watts that seems to work fine. It has three 5"x10" panels and the whole thing is 25'X11". It seems pretty robust. I have used it to charge my phone, and to recharge AA batteries. I think I also used it to recharge my battery bank. Have not used it while riding. The output warms up pretty good, so I try to keep the receiving device shaded and ventilated, so it takes a little tending. Also, the sun keeps moving so the whole set up needs periodic adjustment. Maybe I'm over thinking everything. Lunch stops might be the best time to use it, but I have used it in primitive campsites that lacked electricity.
Old 04-16-22, 07:14 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 5,625 Times in 2,914 Posts
Here ya go https://www.walmart.com/ip/huntermoo...b&gclsrc=3p.ds

Old 04-16-22, 09:33 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Originally Posted by rsbob
thanks for link, but have you used this and for how long? How does it perform?
Old 04-16-22, 09:38 PM
Toadmeister

Originally Posted by Pratt
I have an Anker Power Port rated at 21 watts that seems to work fine. It has three 5"x10" panels and the whole thing is 25'X11". It seems pretty robust. I have used it to charge my phone, and to recharge AA batteries. I think I also used it to recharge my battery bank. Have not used it while riding. The output warms up pretty good, so I try to keep the receiving device shaded and ventilated, so it takes a little tending. Also, the sun keeps moving so the whole set up needs periodic adjustment. Maybe I'm over thinking everything. Lunch stops might be the best time to use it, but I have used it in primitive campsites that lacked electricity.
Thanks for the first hand review.

I read some of the Amazon reviews. Doesn’t seem waterproof, maybe water resistant.

overall Anker sounds reputable as a company and has a decent warranty. That’s key for me.

Last edited by Toadmeister; 04-17-22 at 07:04 AM.
Old 04-16-22, 10:10 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 5,625 Times in 2,914 Posts
Just kicking off some research for you, I Googled 10-20W foldable Solar panel and that was the first item that popped up. Has to be more out there.

Old 04-17-22, 06:07 AM
Toadmeister

Originally Posted by rsbob
Just kicking off some research for you, I Googled 10-20W foldable Solar panel and that was the first item that popped up. Has to be more out there.
ok, appreciate your effort. Looking for some peoples field experiences.
Old 04-17-22, 12:31 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,963 Times in 1,913 Posts
I've had* a few "Anker" branded products ranging from porta solar panels, banks, wireless & wired wall units, power cords/cables. Some were procured by myself, while the others were a gift from someone.
Most of the specs didn't jive with the performance &/or expectations.
There products were the initial issue, then the customer service went south, & it just became a hassle.

Takeaway; always ended up disappointed.
I would not recommend them.

Renogy & EcoFlow would be where my investment would go IF I were in the market for a porta solar unit.
Old 04-17-22, 02:46 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
May not be waterproof, but prolly wouldn't work well in the rain any way, or at night, for that matter.
Old 04-17-22, 04:26 PM
Toadmeister

Originally Posted by Pratt
May not be waterproof, but prolly wouldn't work well in the rain any way, or at night, for that matter.
More concerned about storing it when raining and getting wet even inside a bag from moisture.
Old 04-17-22, 04:29 PM
Toadmeister

Originally Posted by Troul
I've had* a few "Anker" branded products ranging from porta solar panels, banks, wireless & wired wall units, power cords/cables. Some were procured by myself, while the others were a gift from someone.
Most of the specs didn't jive with the performance &/or expectations.
There products were the initial issue, then the customer service went south, & it just became a hassle.

Takeaway; always ended up disappointed.
I would not recommend them.

Renogy & EcoFlow would be where my investment would go IF I were in the market for a porta solar unit.
thanks, this is he kind of experience I was looking for. I’m not looking for cheap disposable crap.

I have some 200W Renology solar panels for my van that are pretty durable. I’m thinking of going with Renology. I’ll Need to research Ecoflow.
Old 04-20-22, 07:08 PM
Hendricksj

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have used a Powerfilm R28 for recharging my electronics while kayak camping for the past 5 years. Completely waterproof, and the output meets what the specification indicate even with some cloud cover.
They make many sizes, and even though it rolls and doesn't fold, it takes up very little room in a dry bag since you can place small items in the "tube" it forms when rolled (about 3").
They are a bit pricey, but they have never disappointed me. Built-in grommets allow me to position it for optimum angle to the sun.
Likes For Hendricksj:
Old 04-21-22, 08:26 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,524 Times in 550 Posts
Google backpacking solar chargers. That should turn up some small, lightweight models.
Old 04-22-22, 06:07 AM
Toadmeister

Originally Posted by Ogsarg
Google backpacking solar chargers. That should turn up some small, lightweight models.
Google, hmm…Never heard of it before…
Old 04-22-22, 06:08 AM
Toadmeister

Originally Posted by Hendricksj
I have used a Powerfilm R28 for recharging my electronics while kayak camping for the past 5 years. Completely waterproof, and the output meets what the specification indicate even with some cloud cover.
They make many sizes, and even though it rolls and doesn't fold, it takes up very little room in a dry bag since you can place small items in the "tube" it forms when rolled (about 3").
They are a bit pricey, but they have never disappointed me. Built-in grommets allow me to position it for optimum angle to the sun.
Thanks. I see these are more expensive but I’m also OK paying for quality and reliability.