Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Help choose between Trek FX2 and Dawes Mojave with child seat

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Help choose between Trek FX2 and Dawes Mojave with child seat

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-22, 04:46 PM
dven42

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Question Help choose between Trek FX2 and Dawes Mojave with rear child seat

Hi all, would be great to have some advice on bike choice. For context - I'm in the UK and I've used bikes before to commute daily 10-15 min (******/dubious quality second hand bikes) with occasional longer rides (~ 30-50 km) on hired bikes on holidays. I have not ridden regularly for a few years now. I have a 2 year old (weighs 11kg) and ~10 min bike commute to her nursery on my way to work <-- this is mostly what the bike will be for. Maybe an occasional longer ride along canal path or such. The town I'm in is pretty flat.

Those two bikes are what's on offer in local bike shops. Trek FX2 seems fun to ride (on my own) but Mojave's step through is lower and might be easier to handle. I guess FX2's disc brakes are better than Mojave's V brakes since it rains here often (though not hard).

Including all accessories Mojave is cheaper (£900 vs £745) but I can get them under a bike to work scheme so shouldn't be painful. I'm planning to get a standard rear seat nothing fancy.

Wondering about other considerations might affect my choice here?

Thanks very much!
Old 07-13-22, 01:19 AM
Sardines

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by dven42
Hi all, would be great to have some advice on bike choice. For context - I'm in the UK and I've used bikes before to commute daily 10-15 min (******/dubious quality second hand bikes) with occasional longer rides (~ 30-50 km) on hired bikes on holidays. I have not ridden regularly for a few years now. I have a 2 year old (weighs 11kg) and ~10 min bike commute to her nursery on my way to work <-- this is mostly what the bike will be for. Maybe an occasional longer ride along canal path or such. The town I'm in is pretty flat.

Those two bikes are what's on offer in local bike shops. Trek FX2 seems fun to ride (on my own) but Mojave's step through is lower and might be easier to handle. I guess FX2's disc brakes are better than Mojave's V brakes since it rains here often (though not hard).

Including all accessories Mojave is cheaper (£900 vs £745) but I can get them under a bike to work scheme so shouldn't be painful. I'm planning to get a standard rear seat nothing fancy.

Wondering about other considerations might affect my choice here?

Thanks very much!
To me, the disc brakes are a must in wet weather since you will be heavier with a kid in the back. If your budget can be stretched a bit, I would also look at a trailer for your kid vs a bike seat. It's more weather proof for your kid, and will extend the use of commuting into 4-5 years. Also a little safer. I commuted with my 2 kids that way from nursery to grade 2 that way. I just locked the trailer at the school and picked it on the way back.
Old 07-13-22, 01:27 AM
dven42

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your response Sardines. I did look into trailers and unfortunately it's a little out of budget at the moment for us. Also we might be moving countries in a year or so so feels like it would be difficult to justify such a large expense. Would definitely go for it if we have child #2!
Old 07-13-22, 05:33 PM
Sardines

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by dven42
Thanks for your response Sardines. I did look into trailers and unfortunately it's a little out of budget at the moment for us. Also we might be moving countries in a year or so so feels like it would be difficult to justify such a large expense. Would definitely go for it if we have child #2!
Well have you thought of getting 2nd hand bikes and trailers? Commuting in the rain in the rain isn't fun, and with a child in the back even less so. I've been an accident against an errant driver, with a child seat (I hope my wife isn't reading this!), and never went out again with one on. A roll cage like trailer will always safer against stupid drivers.