Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Carbon Fitness bike

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Carbon Fitness bike

Old 07-14-22, 08:04 AM
Helderberg

Bikes: Had an old Columbia in the 80's, here a used Schwinn hybrid, now a Cannondale Quick 3 and a Topstone 105..

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 249 Post(s)
Liked 306 Times in 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Sardines
Well not necessarily. Getting a 2x11 or 12, with a 10-42, and a 46/36 Ultegra crank, or a Pinion P1.18 will give the range of gears to do all that. You just need the proper tires and wheels to do whichever you feel like. I do that with my Ti with the Pinion P1.18, which gives me over 600% range. So I just go 32t at the crank and 24t cog at the hub, and the wide range gives me road bike top speed and the climbing gears of a touring bike, and everything else in between. In short, put the right wheels and tires on, it can do many things, comfortably and on a flat bar too! I won't hit the same speeds as my carbon road bike, but the fitness aspect is about resistance so getting the heart rate up is the point. haha
This is good information. I have not looked into the Pinion transmission and did not know much, or anything for that matter, about the piece. If I had more years left on this planet I would definitely look into this piece. The major deterrent for me is the inability to get it serviced locally. I would have made a choice by now if only I had the bikes in stock to have a real test ride. Thank you for taking the time to respond and I appreciate your taking the time to post.
Frank.
Old 07-14-22, 08:15 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,038 Posts
Originally Posted by Helderberg
This is good information. I have not looked into the Pinion transmission and did not know much, or anything for that matter, about the piece. If I had more years left on this planet I would definitely look into this piece. The major deterrent for me is the inability to get it serviced locally. I would have made a choice by now if only I had the bikes in stock to have a real test ride. Thank you for taking the time to respond and I appreciate your taking the time to post.
Frank.
hopefully you have many more years - including on the bike !

I did a significant amount of riding a couple of decades ago with two guys in their 70's - including some long challenging rides (including a century) ; best rides of my life

they rode well into their 80's

significant for them : fit and gearing ; fortunately - one of those guys was a custom frame builder and small / home bike shop owner

with dialed-in fit and proper gearing they could go just about anywhere ... and we had some great crisp rides
Likes For t2p:
Old 07-14-22, 08:22 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,803 Times in 1,038 Posts
Originally Posted by Helderberg
Frank.
it has become a challenge especially lately with the lack of inventory at many bike shops

sometimes need to get creative to find a/the bike in the proper size ... at local areas where bike riders park, etc ... sometimes LBS will have a customer bike in the service area (if they cannot get new) ... etc

I drove hours to get one used bike - close to 8 hour round trip

one guy I spoke with recently had a bike (basically) shipped across the country from a bike shop to his residence
Likes For t2p:
Old 07-14-22, 11:49 PM
Sardines

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 48 Posts
Pinion and Gate belt drives are very reliable and I've never had any issues with the 3 bikes I've had. However, with your projected budget of the Sirrus 6.0's $3.5k range, a carbon/Ti Pinion bike is a no-go, unless you can find a used one.
Since you are getting fitter, geometry is probably most important, especially if you're going to go hard. Good luck!
Likes For Sardines: