Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Books, Movies, Music & Entertainment
Reload this Page >

What are you reading right now?

Notices
Books, Movies, Music & Entertainment Do we really need a description for this forum?

What are you reading right now?

Old 07-14-22, 07:47 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 990 Times in 657 Posts
Originally Posted by kazer55 View Post
An Empire of Their Own: How the Jews Invented Hollywood, by Neal Gabler
Good choice.

You might find these articles about recent related events in Hollywood.
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/21/m...-founders.html
Extract
After Criticism, Film Museum Will Highlight Hollywood’s Jewish History
The new Academy Museum of Motion Pictures in Los Angeles, which tried to present an inclusive history of film, overlooked the role Jewish immigrants played in creating the industry.

But one group was conspicuously absent in this initial celebration of diversity and inclusivity: the Jewish immigrants — white men all — who were central to founding the Hollywood studio system. Through dozens of exhibits and rooms, there is barely a mention of Harry and Jack Warner, Adolph Zukor, Samuel Goldwyn or Louis B. Mayer, to list just a few of the best-known names from Hollywood’s history.

The omission, which came at a time of increasing concern about rising antisemitism across the country, soon drew complaints from Jewish leaders, concern from supporters of the new museum and a number of critical articles, including in Rolling Stone and The Forward, which ran a piece headlined “Jews built Hollywood. So why is their history erased from the Academy’s new museum?”
https://forward.com/news/476670/jews...-academys-new/
Extract
Hollywood’s founding moguls included Sol’s tyrannical boss William Fox, Adolph Zukor (Paramount), Harry and Jack Warner (Warner Bros.), Carl Laemmle (Universal), Sam Goldwyn and Louis B. Mayer (MGM) and Harry Cohn (Columbia)— all Jewish. They achieved global reach by creating celluloid dream factories whose moving pictures rapidly became America’s most influential cultural export.

But at the museum, they are ghosts. Their presence hangs over the halls— there would literally be no museum, no industry, without them. But the museum’s current installations devote meaningful space only to mogul Louis B. Mayer as the prime mover in founding the Academy and the villainous executive who tormented Judy Garland.

If these long-dead Jewish moguls could speak, I imagine they’d say, What are we, chopped liver?
More at:
https://www.rollingstone.com/tv-movi...ation-1283537/
Old 07-25-22, 07:27 AM
tonnyhigh

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The History of Pi. by Petr Beckmann. I study math in college and this book is useful for me. Plus I found service to do my algebra homework, they helped me a lot. Their experts help students with their assignments and try to do this in the best possible way. Luckily they have affordable prices. If I find out that something needs to be corrected in my algebra task, I can ask for improvements.

Last edited by tonnyhigh; 07-28-22 at 07:54 AM.
Old 07-26-22, 09:16 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2018 Cannondale CAADX 105 SE, 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 289 Posts
Just started reading Kathryn Bertine's Stand which, on the surface, is about the struggle to get fair pay & equal opportunities for female professional cyclists, but clearly -- based on the description here -- is a much deeper dive into personal growth.
Old 07-26-22, 10:26 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Finished listening to The Russia House, a spy novel by John le Carré. Too slow and with long stretches of dull dialog and detail that adds nothing to the plot. Should have been edited to a third of its size. I have read much better le Carré novels, in fact every other one I read was much better.

Started listening to Prince of Spies, by Alex Gerlis. It is a spy novel of a British spy operating in 1942 Denmark and Germany to uncover info about Germany's progress on the secret V1 and V2 projects.
Old 07-26-22, 10:37 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, 92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, 2003 Access 69er, 2023 Trek 520, 2014 Ritchey Road Logic, 2009 Kestrel Evoke, 2017 Surly Wednesday

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 9 Posts
Old 07-31-22, 08:43 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Finished listening to Prince of Spies, by Alex Gerlis. It is a spy novel of a British spy operating in 1942 Denmark and Germany to uncover info about Germany's progress on the secret V1 and V2 projects.

Good start of the 4 book Richard Price series of WW2 spy novels.

Segued right into starting to listen to the second book in the series, Sea of Spies, set in 1943 Turkey and Greece.
Old 07-31-22, 08:53 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Finished reading Emergency War Plan, The American Doomsday Machine, 1945–1960, by Sean M. Maloney, examines the theory and practice of American nuclear deterrence and its evolution during the Cold War. Interesting about how the Air Force intended to preferably deter Russian nuclear attack on U.S. or Allies, but defeat the Russians if deterrence failed. Lots of info about why various targets were selected and by what means they would be defeated. Where the weapons were coming from and how they would get to the targets also was interesting. Too much detail for me about the locations of the specific Soviet targets in the plans.

Started reading Leave the Gun, Take the Cannoli: The Epic Story of the Making of The Godfather, by Mark Seal
Old 08-01-22, 09:08 AM
Cornchips

Bikes: Giant Cross City 3 (Escape)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
I guess Le Tour inspired me to read Every Second Counts by Lance Armstrong/Sally Jenkins. A light, breezy read, which I quite enjoyed, even if it didn't cover anything too 'ground-breaking' so to speak.

I didn't read it to pass judgement or sound sanctimonious about Lance's character (with what we now know), but to learn more about professional cycling, as it's the first cycling-related book I've read. It might inspire me to read more.
Old 08-04-22, 12:53 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Finished listening to the second book in Alex Gerlis' Richard Prince series, Sea of Spies, continues the story from where it left off in book 1, Prince of Spies. Will pick up the story in book 3, Ring of Spies, in a month or so after I have listened to a few other books.

Started listening to
Black Tulip -The Life and Myth of Erich Hartmann, the World's Top Fighter Ace, non-fiction by Erich Schmidt.