Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

iOS 15.2 GPS accuracy

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

iOS 15.2 GPS accuracy

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-21, 11:03 PM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
iOS 15.2 GPS accuracy

Updated my iPhone to iOS 15.2 and the last two rides using ridewithgps showed lost GPS signal, which basically then showed long straight lines between the two points on the map. Did some internet searching and found this:

https://piunikaweb.com/2021/12/17/ru...s-15-2-update/

I use runkeeper also and tried that today also and it acted just like what the above link discusses. So, if you have this problem, do not try and go down the path of trying to resolve this with various setting changes that you can find with an internet search. I tried them also and nothing works. Going to have to wait for an update to fix this bug.
Old 12-18-21, 04:26 AM
Badger6
Obsessed with Eddington

Bikes: '16 Spesh Diverge, '14 Spesh Fatboy, '18 Spesh Epic, '18 Spesh SL6, '21 Spesh SL7, '21 Spesh Diverge...and maybe n+1?

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 621 Times in 368 Posts
Or, buy a GPS equipped cycling computer. If there is a cost issue, there are several that are quite inexpensive and will record rides without too many frills, like a map, and a few that are a little bit more that have maps, also.
Likes For Badger6:
Old 12-18-21, 09:13 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
If you lose the GPS signal then what do you expect to happen?

Signal loss and accuracy are two entirely different things.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 12-18-21, 01:00 PM
themp

Yes, this might push me to getting a cycling computer, but I was completely happy with using ridewithgps as it was perfect in tracking until the update. No loss of signal or accuracy at all till now. I am a Basic subscriber and it does maintenance tracking which I enjoyed. Yes I understand about signal loss and accuracy, with this failure I was getting both.
Old 12-20-21, 01:16 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by themp
Yes, this might push me to getting a cycling computer, but I was completely happy with using ridewithgps as it was perfect in tracking until the update. No loss of signal or accuracy at all till now. I am a Basic subscriber and it does maintenance tracking which I enjoyed. Yes I understand about signal loss and accuracy, with this failure I was getting both.
i had this same problem with my old Droid phone and it went away with my new Apple 12 phone with IOS 15.1. I haven’t tried it with 15.2 yet.

the Droid phone would tend to have this issue if under a battery saving mode, but than it became permanent. Might be a clue.
Old 12-30-21, 11:24 PM
themp

Runkeeper has put out an update that fixes the problem. RideWithGPS is still broken and they are supposedly working on a fix.
Old 01-01-22, 08:26 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3221 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 1,170 Posts
Or get a fitness watch that has GPS and can send ride data to RWGPS. A Garmin Instinct Standard comes to mind, $169 currently. Not as useful as a cycling GPS which sits on the bar and gives you current ride data and can-do navigation. Cheaper though if you only want to track.
Old 01-16-22, 10:55 AM
themp

Email received from ridewithgps support:

"I just wanted to update you on our work to remedy the ride recording issues you've had as a result to the iOS 15.2 update.
We've just released an update to the RWGPS app (v 2.8.5) in the app store. You can download it by going to https://apps.apple.com/us/app/ride-w...on/id893687399 on your phone.
This version provides a more stable recording experience. We've temporarily taken away the auto-pause feature in this version, but do plan to make it available again in the near future.
We'll reach out again as soon as we have more information. In the meantime, don't hesitate to let us know if you have any questions or other concerns."