Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Hybrid Tire Choices

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Hybrid Tire Choices

Old 04-30-22, 09:24 AM
jwr0201

Bikes: Trek Lattitude MTB Specialized Crossroads Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Hybrid Tire Choices

I hope this is in the correct category. I'm looking for advice on 700c x 38c tires for a Crossroads hybrid. Like advice on mid range, folding tires with puncture resistance.
Most of my riding is on paved surfaces - up to 10 - 12 mile rides.
Thanks for any advice, suggestions.
RR
Old 04-30-22, 11:56 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,023 Times in 989 Posts
Panaracer Paselas come in 700x38 and are a great all-around tire. Good following in the commuting/touring/urban bike world, and I've used them myself. Solidly-midrange, but a good value, and actually not really heavy for its size which will be good for comfort and efficiency (45-50 psi range for 38s is a good starting point to work from).
Old 05-01-22, 04:10 AM
Sardines

Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 48 Posts
If it's mostly paved, would you be going tubeless or tubed? All weather or mostly dry?
I only run tubeless, and my go to commuter/travel tire for my hybrid is the Marathon Supreme TLE, in 622-37, but it's more of a 35c. They are higher in price and now getting a little scarce. The Paselas are also nice and moderately priced, but not as fast nor as puncture resistant. I recently just started testing the GP Urban by continental, which is only available in 35c. It's nice rolling, faster than the Supremes, and lighter too. It is thinner and higher priced though.
I will be also testing the G1 as a gravel tire.

Last edited by Sardines; 05-01-22 at 04:17 AM.
Old 05-01-22, 01:00 PM
Fendertele

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 28 Posts
Lots of choices. I’ve purchased Continental Contact Plus and Michelin Protek and happy with both. Less than 500 miles traveled with each set so far though.
Old 05-01-22, 01:41 PM
jwr0201

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Has anyone tries these - Kenda City Slickers II? Amazon has them in a package - 2 tires, 2 tubes and a rim strip.
Thoughts?
Old 05-01-22, 06:53 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by jwr0201
Has anyone tries these - Kenda City Slickers II? Amazon has them in a package - 2 tires, 2 tubes and a rim strip.
Thoughts?
Are those 26” or 700c?
Old 05-01-22, 06:58 PM
jwr0201

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
700c x 38c
Old 05-01-22, 11:19 PM
slowpacer

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
I have used Panaracer Gravelking Semi Slicks in 700cx43 (current tires), Gravelking Slicks in 32mm and T-Serves in 35mm on my bikes and i like all of them (all tubed). Also have used a pair of 42mm Panaracer Tour wirebead tires that are super comfortable and great value if budget is tight.
Old 05-02-22, 06:56 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
Originally Posted by jwr0201
I hope this is in the correct category. I'm looking for advice on 700c x 38c tires for a Crossroads hybrid. Like advice on mid range, folding tires with puncture resistance.
Most of my riding is on paved surfaces - up to 10 - 12 mile rides.
Thanks for any advice, suggestions.
RR
If you truly need both a folding bead and (presumably strong) puncture resistance, your choices may be limited. Most of the tires known for good durability (like most of the Schwalbe Marathon line and the like) are not folding -- folding tires are typically thinner, more supple tires (they fold easier). I'm not saying what you're looking for isn't out there -- but I don't think you have a lot of selection.

One option I'll throw into the mix is the Continental Speed Ride. They're labeled 42mm tires, but they're undersized and inflate to a true 38-39mm on most rims. They're relatively light, they're a great value, they're foldable, and I think they'd work well for you. They don't have the indestructible type of puncture protection that something like a Contact Plus Travel or a Ride Tour, but those touring tires also aren't foldable.

You can get some really nice folding touring tires. Like the Schwalbe Marathon Supreme. But I wouldn't call them "mid range" in terms of price. More on them here: https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...n-supreme-2016 Note that, although they're really expensive tires, they don't offer the ultimate in puncture protection that other non-folding options in the Marathon line can provide.

I think your options will open up a lot if you can relax your requirements list a little bit. If you really want a compact, foldable tire, it won't offer the best puncture protection out there. And if you need that top-level puncture protection, the tire probably won't be foldable.

Last edited by hokiefyd; 05-02-22 at 06:59 AM.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 05-02-22, 10:41 AM
jwr0201

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
If you truly need both a folding bead and (presumably strong) puncture resistance, your choices may be limited. Most of the tires known for good durability (like most of the Schwalbe Marathon line and the like) are not folding -- folding tires are typically thinner, more supple tires (they fold easier). I'm not saying what you're looking for isn't out there -- but I don't think you have a lot of selection.

One option I'll throw into the mix is the Continental Speed Ride. They're labeled 42mm tires, but they're undersized and inflate to a true 38-39mm on most rims. They're relatively light, they're a great value, they're foldable, and I think they'd work well for you. They don't have the indestructible type of puncture protection that something like a Contact Plus Travel or a Ride Tour, but those touring tires also aren't foldable.

You can get some really nice folding touring tires. Like the Schwalbe Marathon Supreme. But I wouldn't call them "mid range" in terms of price. More on them here: https://www.bicyclerollingresistance...n-supreme-2016 Note that, although they're really expensive tires, they don't offer the ultimate in puncture protection that other non-folding options in the Marathon line can provide.

I think your options will open up a lot if you can relax your requirements list a little bit. If you really want a compact, foldable tire, it won't offer the best puncture protection out there. And if you need that top-level puncture protection, the tire probably won't be foldable.
Great info here - think I will widen my scope a bit and look at non-folding tires! Thanks for the good lesson!
RR
Old 05-07-22, 04:35 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,838 Times in 1,057 Posts
Panaracer Gravelking SS+ might be good option

SS+ has added material to prevent punctures and snakebites

would also consider 35mm in addition to 38mm
Likes For t2p:
Old 05-14-22, 11:11 AM
Ryan_M

Bikes: Some

Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 69 Posts
Another vote for the Conti Speedrides. Fantastic allrounder, cheap and light too.
Old 05-18-22, 06:26 AM
Dragum
Hybrid vigor climber.

Bikes: Caloi SuperCross 1993 and Caloi CityTour 2019

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 21 Posts
Best for puncture: Continental SportContact 37C
Best for performance: Maxxis Refuse 40C
Best for value: Kenda K180 38C

Here in 2022 Brazil.

Last edited by Dragum; 06-05-22 at 08:13 PM.
Old 05-18-22, 05:59 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,838 Times in 1,057 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryan_M
Another vote for the Conti Speedrides. Fantastic allrounder, cheap and light too.
quick look at this tire and I was impressed - great value

( one online vendor recently had them for under $20 in damaged packaging )

limited size availability - but as mentioned in thread above tire is closer to 38mm than listed 42 mm
Old 05-18-22, 08:44 PM
jwr0201

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I ended up getting Michelin 700 x 38 tires along with Conti tubes. Stuck with Schrader stems to match the existing rim holes. Not a big investment, so if they are not the way to go, I will change.
Thoughts on the Michelins?
Old 05-19-22, 06:34 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
I presume they're Michelin Proteks of some sort (Protek City, Protek Cross, etc.). If so, they're not light or folding, but they're certainly durable tires that I'd wager will provide lots of happy and flat-free miles for you!
Old 05-20-22, 11:21 AM
Spartazoo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I really like the Specialized Pathfinder tires on my Sirrus X 4.0. Good smooth road tread down the middle with light off road tread on the sides.
Old 05-28-22, 08:11 PM
GGreenhorn

Bikes: Giant Escape 3

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I would not recommend Michelin Protek, they're still on my old bike, but they wore rather quickly. The stock Giant tires were far better.
I have Specialized Pathfinder on my new bike, I'm curious on how they do, I like the design, as Spartazoo suggests.