Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Where Did Your Hybrid Take You Today?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Where Did Your Hybrid Take You Today?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-14, 12:14 PM
John Redcorn

Bikes: Crosstrail Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrodgers

Overlooking the Monongahela River from the Hot Metal Bridge.

What's with the locks? I saw this same thing on a fence by bike trail here in Tulsa, just locks and too high up to have locked a bike up.
Edit: ahh google knows what I mean: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Love_lock This started in Serbia WW1 and didn't catch on elsewhere until the 2000s.

My hybrid took me to work today. Not exciting but I'm pretty proud. Didn't think I could handle all the hills.

Last edited by John Redcorn; 06-24-14 at 12:36 PM.
Old 06-28-14, 10:39 AM
camjr

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring, 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1 hybrid, 2000 Mongoose S2000 MTB, 2009 Schwinn Jaguar beach cruiser

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 99 Posts
I left before the sun came up here north of DFW, TX to beat the heat and before the wind really cranked up, and got in a little over 30 miles on my Fuji Absolute 2.1. There is a really wide variety of scenery in the area, from lakes, golf courses, and historical downtown areas from when my town was still a prairie outpost (now over 100k residents, but a historical farming community - my son just graduated high school in the 117th graduating class of his high school).

A few shots from the ride this morning...

Quiet cove on Lewisville Lake

Lake Park Golf Course (my home course)

Local rodeo arena (because, well, Texas...)

Spillway below the dam on Lewisville Lake

Old implements and storage tanks at the historic, 100+ yr old feed mill

Water break on the lake

The sunrise over a local marina

The troll in the pedals and behind the cell phone camera...

Cheers!

Last edited by camjr; 07-01-14 at 07:24 AM.
Old 06-29-14, 07:53 AM
jbchybridrider 

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 388 Times in 149 Posts
Speaking of ugly mugs, here's mine

and for more pic's follow the link >https://www.bikeforums.net/mountain-b...l#post16891762

Old 06-29-14, 08:42 AM
Jaeger99

Bikes: Me: Trek 7.2 FX Disc, Pinarello Rokh Her: Electra Townie 3i

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
My hybrid took me on a 10k evening trail ride with my daughter. That's her Schwinn folder in the foreground. Try to tell her it's not the coolest bike in the world and she simply won't listen.

Nice "On Golden Pond" moment just before we headed home>

And an invigorating 50k solo ride for me this morning:

Loving the new 28C tires. They handle crushed gravel just fine but really fly on the road compared to the old 35s.
Old 06-29-14, 10:57 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Jaeger99
My hybrid took me on a 10k evening trail ride with my daughter. That's her Schwinn folder in the foreground. Try to tell her it's not the coolest bike in the world and she simply won't listen.
How old is your daughter?

Loving the new 28C tires. They handle crushed gravel just fine but really fly on the road compared to the old 35s.
Do you have a bike computer which tells you how much extra speed you have picked up on the road?
Old 06-29-14, 11:23 AM
Jaeger99

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
My daughter just turned 12. My bike was purchased so that I could accompany her on longer rides that she wanted to take instead of just going round the block. I didn't expect to enjoy riding as much as I have.

This last ride - my first long one under good conditions since the tire swap - shows a 1.5 km/hr increase in average speed.

Tough to know what to attribute to the tires, though. I am slowly improving over time - and the speed increase has been gradual but measurable (and yes, I am using a GPS computer). This is probably the largest single increase I have noticed, even if it only amounts to around 1 mph. Then again, this was also the longest ride I have done to date by 10km, with a bit more climbing (though still fairly flat overall) - so a even an single mph increase in average speed is nothing to sneeze at, as it was carried over a 25% greater distance.

Seat of the pants tells me the bike is quicker overall, and definitely more nimble. Nothing in the numbers contradicts that - and confirms it to a degree. The unexpected result is that the ride is also noticeably smoother - which both completely counter-intuitive and a pleasant surprise.
Old 06-29-14, 11:38 AM
prime winner

Bikes: Trek Verve 2

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
My daughter just turned 12. My bike was purchased so that I could accompany her on longer rides that she wanted to take instead of just going round the block. I didn't expect to enjoy riding as much as I have.

This last ride - my first long one under good conditions since the tire swap - shows a 1.5 km/hr increase in average speed.

Tough to know what to attribute to the tires, though. I am slowly improving over time - and the speed increase has been gradual but measurable (and yes, I am using a GPS computer). This is probably the largest single increase I have noticed, even if it only amounts to around 1 mph. Then again, this was also the longest ride I have done to date by 10km, with a bit more climbing (though still fairly flat overall) - so a even an single mph increase in average speed is nothing to sneeze at, as it was carried over a 25% greater distance.

Seat of the pants tells me the bike is quicker overall, and definitely more nimble. Nothing in the numbers contradicts that - and confirms it to a degree. The unexpected result is that the ride is also noticeably smoother - which both completely counter-intuitive and a pleasant surprise.
awesome daughter/time for you guys. my daughter is also 12 but I cant seem to get her to ride as much as Id like. she likes to ride when her mother jogs so there is some hope.

did you daughter get that nice bike before or after you two starting riding the 10k distances? maybe if my daughter had a better bike (she rides a big box store huffy MTB bike now) she would want to ride more.
Old 06-29-14, 11:50 AM
Jaeger99

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by prime winner
awesome daughter/time for you guys. my daughter is also 12 but I cant seem to get her to ride as much as Id like. she likes to ride when her mother jogs so there is some hope.

did you daughter get that nice bike before or after you two starting riding the 10k distances? maybe if my daughter had a better bike (she rides a big box store huffy MTB bike now) she would want to ride more.
She got her bike first. I used to jog while she rode, but I seriously hate jogging, so those rides weren't long enough for her liking. When I got my bike we started doing longer rides - and being able to tell her exactly hoe much distance we had covered seemed to inspire her to try to ride a bit further. 10k is our longest joint ride to date. She seems to go further on the trails than on the road, even though it is harder riding.

My wife has since picked up a bike (a really cheap single-speed cruiser, but very "cute") - and we now drag her along every chance we get.
Old 06-29-14, 12:16 PM
prime winner

She got her bike first. I used to jog while she rode, but I seriously hate jogging, so those rides weren't long enough for her liking. When I got my bike we started doing longer rides - and being able to tell her exactly hoe much distance we had covered seemed to inspire her to try to ride a bit further. 10k is our longest joint ride to date. She seems to go further on the trails than on the road, even though it is harder riding.

My wife has since picked up a bike (a really cheap single-speed cruiser, but very "cute") - and we now drag her along every chance we get.
awesome, hope I can get my daughter to ride more. exercise is good for us all.

I just noticed in the pic of your 7.2 fx disc that you have a bottle on your vertical tube above your crank. neither my 7.2 disc or 7.4 came with that bolt set, and I really wish it had because Ive learned that one water bottle just isnt enough sometimes.
Old 06-29-14, 01:19 PM
Jaeger99

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
In the summer heat one bottle definitely isn't enough for me. And I do most of my longer rides first thing in the morning before the real heat sets in. It's no fun being caught out empty further away from home than you planned. And any place in Florida has hotter summers than we do here. I've been to Orlando in August.
Old 06-29-14, 08:38 PM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I haven't carried two bottles for years. Can't you just refill while you are out at a public bubbler etc.?
I am lucky as we have natural springs everywhere so it's never an issue. If the summer heat is so bad, what do you use to replace salt?
Old 06-30-14, 06:07 AM
Jaeger99

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
^^^ Depends on where I am riding - around my neighborhood I guess I'm never that far from a corner store or a park with a water fountain. But I'm not looking to add additional stops on my ride. Out in the country - and being on the edge of the suburbs, country roads are less than 10km away - it's a different story. Two water bottles were enough to get me through that 50km ride - with water to spare - without having to stop for refills. So the question from my perspective really isn't why I would carry two bottles, but why wouldn't I? I don't much care for warm water - which is what you get out of a lot of public fountains. The Big Chill bottle keeps ice water very cold over a long hall, and the smaller uninsulated bottle I freeze solid the night before.

So far I really haven't bothered with salt replacement - I hate those electrolyte drinks. Some of my roadbike buddies have suggested these dissolvable tablets, but I haven't tried them yet. When my rides get longer - and later in the day - I may give that a try.
Old 06-30-14, 07:59 AM
giantcfr1
Ha ha ha ha ha

Bikes: 2004 ORBEA Mitis2 Plus Carbon, 2007 Cannondale Bad Boy Si Disc, 2012 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Marlin WSD 29er Aldi Big Box (Polygon) 650b

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
^^^ Depends on where I am riding - around my neighborhood I guess I'm never that far from a corner store or a park with a water fountain. But I'm not looking to add additional stops on my ride. Out in the country - and being on the edge of the suburbs, country roads are less than 10km away - it's a different story. Two water bottles were enough to get me through that 50km ride - with water to spare - without having to stop for refills. So the question from my perspective really isn't why I would carry two bottles, but why wouldn't I? I don't much care for warm water - which is what you get out of a lot of public fountains. The Big Chill bottle keeps ice water very cold over a long hall, and the smaller uninsulated bottle I freeze solid the night before.

So far I really haven't bothered with salt replacement - I hate those electrolyte drinks. Some of my roadbike buddies have suggested these dissolvable tablets, but I haven't tried them yet. When my rides get longer - and later in the day - I may give that a try.
You are right. We all have different purposes /uses for riding our bikes. I welcome my stops whilst others like yourself prefer to keep them to a minimum. I usually stop every 45minutes or so, maybe less if waiting for my group to reform after climbs. Rides over 60 kms I usually consume 300ml of salt replacement drink and a banana in addition to water (summer time). It works for me, but maybe not for others.
Old 06-30-14, 05:22 PM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I rode 5.5 miles on my mountain/hybrid till I got two flats, then I headed home. I swapped out the 55mm tires/tubes for 35mm tires, a big different it made.
Old 06-30-14, 10:35 PM
ModeratedUser17082018

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Whidbey Island

Perfect day for a ride on Whidbey Island. This is looking southwest near the Coupeville/Port Townsend Ferry. Olympic Mountains in the background.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
PICT0035.jpg (99.1 KB, 81 views)
Old 07-01-14, 07:48 AM
jbchybridrider 

Originally Posted by SpinThrift
Perfect day for a ride on Whidbey Island. This is looking southwest near the Coupeville/Port Townsend Ferry. Olympic Mountains in the background.
Nice picture. Do you ever get up into the mountains with your bike ?
Old 07-01-14, 11:33 PM
ModeratedUser17082018

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Hi jbchybridrider - Great to get a response from Australia! Someday I intend to visit your country.

The mountains in the background are actually quite high and rugged - The Olympic Mountains. Very few passable roads in the Olympics so I haven't ridden there. The "far" side (west side) of the Olympics trap moisture and create the northernmost tropical rain forest in the world.

Here's a picture of them taken from my deck:

The snow remains on the highest peaks right thru the Summer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
sunrise.jpg (19.1 KB, 72 views)
Old 07-03-14, 04:25 PM
prime winner

what size is you fx 7.2 disc? Im wondering if my 7.2 disc and 7.4 are missing the seat post bolts because they are the 17.5" versions.
Old 07-03-14, 04:28 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
what size is you fx 7.2 disc? Im wondering if my 7.2 disc and 7.4 are missing the seat post bolts because they are the 17.5" versions.
I'm sure that's what it is. My wife has a 13-inch 7.4 WSD. I have a 15-inch 7.5. Neither has bolts on the seat post.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 07-03-14, 07:07 PM
Jaeger99

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Mine is the 17.5.
Old 07-03-14, 07:42 PM
prime winner

Originally Posted by daihard
I'm sure that's what it is. My wife has a 13-inch 7.4 WSD. I have a 15-inch 7.5. Neither has bolts on the seat post.
Mine is the 17.5.
thats weird, wonder why my 17.5's dont have the bolts? guess Ill email trek.
Old 07-04-14, 09:15 AM
camjr

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Touring, 2013 Fuji Absolute 2.1 hybrid, 2000 Mongoose S2000 MTB, 2009 Schwinn Jaguar beach cruiser

I was able to get in a nice 25 mile ride this morning out at Lewisville Lake before the July 4th drunks showed up and around old downtown Lewisville before the parades crank up. No shots of the Fuji, but I did get some nice shots of a beautiful sunrise on a calm, cool (for North Texas) morning. Pics are from my S4 Galaxy smartphone. This is where my hybrid took me today...

Enjoy!

Last edited by camjr; 07-04-14 at 10:30 AM.
Old 07-04-14, 09:27 AM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
@camjr Very nice pics!

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 07-04-14, 09:32 AM
camjr

Originally Posted by daihard
@camjr Very nice pics!
Thanks Daihard!
Old 07-04-14, 09:59 AM
jbchybridrider 

+1 really nice pix camjr.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.