Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

The Competitive Clydes Thread - Post your races and events!

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 07-27-10, 10:17 PM
JonnyHK 

Bikes: Baum Romano, Brompton S2, Homemade Bamboo!

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 129 Posts

Seems to me that there is a bit of a gap in Bike Forums between the slightly 'hard-core' racers in the skinny sections (aka road bike and racing forums) and the 'in it for the fun' racers in other places.

I'm hoping that we can attract a few more of the Clydes and Athenas who compete in events (of any type, at any speed) to post up some fun pictures.

I'll start with this weekend's effort...

Shenzhen Red Bull Cup crit (Guangdong Province, southern China)
B Grade, 7 laps, 42km

It was a bit of an expedition for the Hong Kong Colossi Cycling Club boys, but we all had fun anyway. Multiple vehicle swaps (can't drive directly over the border) and some fun rolling bikes through immigration control. It was very hot, in the high 30s degC, and very dry. Riders were going to suffer all day.

Before the start with the other B Grader from my team. TJ is over 50 and finished 12th!
jonnyandtj..jpg
We were due to start at 10.30, but finally rolled about 12.15. The 25 minutes spent in the roll-call and marshaling area was nasty hot. My feet were baking. Garmin said 51degC (I'm taking that as a good reflection of how my feet were feeling). Due to the late running program we are now 5 laps, sprint on lap 3.

The start (I'm far right):
bgradestart..jpg
Off in the group with my aim being to stay with the pack for at least one lap. Low goals, but I suck and I know it. Fast first half to the lap with the speeds hovering near 45km/h between the corners. I was having trouble keeping up with the acceleration after each turn, but managed to hold on to the tail of the leaders until the last two corners when I popped off the back using my famous 'reverse breakaway' technique.

Officially dropped at end of the lap (yep, that's my sorry backside to the left of the pic)
jonnyofficiallyd&#.jpg
Spend next 4 laps grouping up in ones and twos, trying to keep it all moving. Nothing too exciting as it is pretty much a solo training ride now. I'm much stronger on the short climb (overpass bridge - up and over, hair pin turn, back up and over) than most of the riders - computer says max watts 580 - but not strong enough on the flat - average watts 170 - to be able to maintain the pace solo. Strange that at 210lb/95kg that I would be the fast man up the rise.

Before last lap a bit of aggression from a small group of mixed riders - basic gist was "let's push it home", "let's not get lapped", "let's look good for the photographers". Things were going well until the exit of the 2nd hairpin on the last lap when the acceleration of the corner killed me, my HR spiked, and I was done.

Plenty of riders coming in behind me and most importantly, my first official crit finish (ie no being lapped and forced to drop out!). No official or translated results yet, but the guys tell me I came in about 30th from about 60 starters.

I've just finished and I'm feeling very sorry for my self. Note the very aero race number.
jonnyfinish3..jpg
Old 07-28-10, 07:39 AM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Interesting new thread, and inspirational to boot. Back when I first started riding seriously, maybe 30 years ago, I got down to about 212 and entered a number of what were then called "Citizen's Class" criteriums and circuit races that were always held in conjunction with the sanctioned class races. I was never real good, my best finish being 3rd in my first race, followed by mid-pack finishes in several, and dropping out (or being pulled) from others. I raced in Illinois (Galesburg, Bloomington, Leroy and Crystal Lake), Wisconsin (around the square in Madison), and even Athens, GA, in a circuit race around the UGA campus (the organizers couldn't believe I drove all the way from Illinois to ride in it, but I had a friend to visit in Atlanta, so it was a good excuse to go). It was all unbelievably fun, other than the being pulled part.

Still, now that I'm back in the weight-loss game, and cycling again, I'm not sure if I want to put myself through that special kind of misery again. For one thing, I don't even know if they have Citizen's Class anymore, or if whatever non-licensed class they may have is age-segregated. I don't feel the need to put myself out there against 20 year olds. I did that when I was their age and can't see that this time around would work out any better.

But, I'm certainly looking forward to reading about others' exploits.
Old 07-28-10, 08:07 AM
MrClyde

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Craig,
Cat 5 is the "citizen's class". No license or experience required. I have also found some series that have Clyde classes. The races put on at Camp Pendleton is one group, I did the 26 mile road race, and the duatholon in the clyde class. They do age groups, and the clyde group. No categories.

There is also a mountain bike series, Racers and Chasers, that has a clyde class. So look around for some of the "non-official" racing series, at least here they are the ones that cater more to what you are looking for.

Johnny, good topic. I don't have any pictures to contribute. I go to the races by myself. Can't get the wife to leave the house at 4:30 am with me for some reason. Here are my critereum race results so far.

Dropped.
Dropped.
Dropped.
Dropped.

At least I'm consistent!
Old 07-28-10, 08:24 AM
IAmCosmo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Only did one event this year. Smith Mountain Lake triathlon. Had 4 tris and a couple crits scheduled for this season, but got hurt shortly after my first tri, and got a bad respiratory infection just as I was recovering, so I was unable to do any riding/running/swimming/etc. for a couple months. May try to squeeze one more tri in this year, but that remains to be seen...

This is me coming into the finish of the bike leg. The guy just coming into the picture on the left started about 4 minutes ahead of me after the swim, so I was pretty happy to catch him. Of course, I think I got passed by most everyone on the run...
Old 07-28-10, 12:19 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
It's technically not a race, so I don't know if this fits in the thread or not...

I'm attempting a Super Randonneur series this year. For those who don't know randonneuring, it's unsupported and timed long distance riding. There's no turn signs or pavement markings, you get a cue sheet and a card that you have to get signed at specified places on the course.
The Super Randonneur award is earned by riding a 200km, 300km, 400km and 600km event within a single year.
Time limits are 13h 30m for a 200km, 20h for a 300km, 27h for a 400km and 40h for a 600km; and those times are all-inclusive. The clock doesn't stop just because you do.

I've got my 200 and 300km rides done. My 400 and 600km are coming up in the next 6 weeks.
Old 07-28-10, 12:28 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by JonnyHK
I'm hoping that we can attract a few more of the Clydes and Athenas who compete in events (of any type, at any speed) to post up some fun pictures.
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
I've got my 200 and 300km rides done.

So, where are the pictures?
Old 07-28-10, 12:28 PM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MrClyde
Craig,
Cat 5 is the "citizen's class". No license or experience required. I have also found some series that have Clyde classes. The races put on at Camp Pendleton is one group, I did the 26 mile road race, and the duatholon in the clyde class. They do age groups, and the clyde group. No categories.

There is also a mountain bike series, Racers and Chasers, that has a clyde class. So look around for some of the "non-official" racing series, at least here they are the ones that cater more to what you are looking for.

Johnny, good topic. I don't have any pictures to contribute. I go to the races by myself. Can't get the wife to leave the house at 4:30 am with me for some reason. Here are my critereum race results so far.

Dropped.
Dropped.
Dropped.
Dropped.

At least I'm consistent!
Thanks for the info on "Cat 5." I may have to look into that. I work with a super-fit 35 year old kid who's one of my biggest cheerleaders in this weight loss thing, and he's started serious training for triathlons. I don't know that I care to get into those, but when he pestered me about racing with him I told him when I get to my goal weight, if he can find a mass-start race for us to enter (TTs don't appeal to me), I'd join him in one.

Somewhere buried in my old photos at home, I have a couple of shots of me on my way to my glorious 3rd place finish at Galesburg back in the mid-'80s. If I can find it, I'll post it just for a laugh. When you see the apparent quality of my competition, you'll understand how I did so well.
Old 07-28-10, 12:44 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I'm not competitive but I have done some timed events that were once listed as a race (from what I'm told) but now listed as organized rides for legal purposes.

First time I met member HomeyBA, was on one of these rides.

This one is Ride Around the Bear. I've done it 4 times and my best time is 7:40 official time (7:10 ride time) finishing at #123 out of the 400 riders. Not bad for a Clyde!

This was last year, 100 miles, nearly 10,000 ft of elevation gain. It rained and heavy fog (20 yards visbility) the first 20 miles or so, that sucked climbing in those conditions.

Climbing Onxy Summit, near the top (8400 ft)

One of the small climbs while descending from Onyx Summit

----------------------------------------------------

Breathless Agony

114 mile, 12,000 ft elevation gain.

On a 14% grade

Near Onyx Summit (8400 ft elevation point)

Last edited by Mr. Beanz; 07-28-10 at 01:05 PM.
Old 07-28-10, 12:45 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
I'm under 200 these days (thanks in part to trying to be competitive this year), but here's been my race season, two crits and a hill climb:

DNF
Pulled
79th out of 93

woo!
Old 07-28-10, 01:09 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
So, where are the pictures?
D'oh. Here's a few.

There are just a few hills on our club's season opener, The Chili Feed 200k. (That's me at left, in the red/white/blue)

The colour's all blued-out because my phone cam settings were wrong, but here's my finishing group from the Granite Falls 300k. We picked up a few more riders along the way as we swept our way up the pack for a 15h 11m finish time.

From last year: This is what I looked like 200km into the Baker Lake 400k last year. Not too bad for just having finished a 12 mile climb that started around mile 114.

For contrast, this is what I looked like 24h 30m after the start. 253 miles done.

I'm hoping to look a little more energized after this season's 400k! Even after 3 cups of coffee, I was still falling asleep on Mark's breakfast counter. My ride partner was not nearly as dragged out as me, and he rode another 10 miles to get home after breakfast.

Maybe it's because he ate better for dinner at Baker Lake.
Old 07-28-10, 01:18 PM
Smallguy

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been racing 2 years im' a tad over 200 at 205 this season

This season

in 3 road races I've been 2nd and my 3 mtb races I DNF'd 2 due iot mechanical issues and one I came in 2nd or 3rd last due to some stupid mistakes
Old 08-02-10, 05:13 PM
Old'N'Slow

Bikes: Serotta Concourse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not a racer, I just enjoy riding and the occasional challenge. I'm approximately 6'3" and 230 pounds.

I just finish RAMROD (Ride Around Mt. Rainier in One Day) last Thursday. 154 miles with 10,000 feet of climbing. Total time was 10:20, with a rolling time of 9:15. I had completed a double century (STP - Seattle to Portland) in one day, but it's relatively flat.

Sorry, no pictures of either. I guess I was too concerned with traveling light.

Last edited by Old'N'Slow; 08-02-10 at 05:14 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 08-02-10, 05:35 PM
CliftonGK1

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Old'N'Slow
I just finish RAMROD (Ride Around Mt. Rainier in One Day) last Thursday. 154 miles with 10,000 feet of climbing. Total time was 10:20, with a rolling time of 9:15. I had completed a double century (STP - Seattle to Portland) in one day, but it's relatively flat.

Sorry, no pictures of either. I guess I was too concerned with traveling light.
Nice job on RAMROD! I'll be riding down that way on Saturday for the 3 Volcanoes 300k (Seattle Randos). 190-ish miles, 12,000' elevation, includes the unpaved "Babyshoe Pass".
Old 08-02-10, 06:19 PM
wxduff

Bikes: 08 Cannondale CAAD 9 upgraded to ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first race will be an a 20 mile road race in fall. Last year there was about 90 riders, only 3 in my age and sex group (non usacycling deal, thats how they divy up the riders instead of catagories). Doing it with a friend, were planning on working together. I'm not worried about being a clyde as the course, while being 20 miles, is almost perfectly flat. The steepest grade is 1%, a total of 308 ft of accent over the 20 miles. The winner last year had an average pace of around 25 mph over that course. I think working a paceline with my friend should allow us to finish well.

Will post results and pictures when possible. My friends have promised to sit on the course (which entails getting out of their dorm room as the route goes through campus, and take pictures / ring cowbells.
Old 08-02-10, 06:36 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by wxduff
, only 3 in my age and sex group .
You have a sex group!
Old 08-02-10, 07:06 PM
Herbie53

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did this one TT just after my CBone healed in June. Was gonna do another in July, but missed it for a sailing event. Have another in August and have really not trained (pre-excuse).

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...1#post10920076

I do this stupid group hammerfest (Tues or Thurs) every week.. it's not a race, just stupid.

https://abrtcycling.com/content/training-rides
Old 08-02-10, 07:16 PM
Homeyba

Bikes: Colnago C-50, Calfee Dragonfly Tandem, Specialized Allez Pro, Peugeot Competition Light

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CliftonGK1
It's technically not a race, so I don't know if this fits in the thread or not...
Clifton, they are "technically" not races but (there's always a but) they are timed events and people do "race" them if only against themselves! They always make a big deal about who finishes first on many of them, especially the 1200ks. I'd say they fit but (another but) besides posting pics you have to post your times or placing.

I've only competed in one race this year. That would be RAAM as part of a four tandem team. We raced 3000+ miles non-stop (averaging just under 19mph) from San Diego to Annapolis MD in 6 days and 10 hrs. We broke the mixed tandem record by 4hrs and won our class (50+yrs old). Not a bad result for a bunch of old guys and gals. I don't have any really good pics but I have this video clip that stars us through the first couple time stations...
Old 08-02-10, 07:28 PM
Herbie53

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 485 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Homeyba
from San Diego to Annapolis MD
you were in Annapolis and didn't stop by? I'm hurt.
Old 08-02-10, 07:49 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Clifton, they are "technically" not races but (there's always a but) they are timed events and people do "race" them if only against themselves!
BUT...the title says "and events", it's an organized event.
Old 08-02-10, 08:10 PM
Homeyba

Bikes: Colnago C-50, Calfee Dragonfly Tandem, Specialized Allez Pro, Peugeot Competition Light

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Herbie53
you were in Annapolis and didn't stop by? I'm hurt.
I did but nobody was home.
Old 08-02-10, 08:12 PM
Homeyba

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
BUT...the title says "and events", it's an organized event.

I suppose you're right. I think he should still post times...seems to fit in.
Old 08-02-10, 08:39 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I suppose you're right.
IWell must admit, I was wong once.....................................ONCE!