Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Neiko Tools: Any Good?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 01-26-23, 06:30 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,493 Times in 496 Posts

Anyone here have any experience with this brand? The brand has good presence on Amazon Saudi and they have everything I might be interested in buying (such as 1/4" hex bits and shanks and the like) and they seem reasonably priced.
Old 01-26-23, 09:43 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Never seen them but a stroll on their website isn't promising for quality tools. It feels like that sort of copy paste type of deal for a low quality tool set. Buy cheap tools and buy cheap tools and buy cheap tools and buy cheap tools and buy cheap tools and then at the end you have spent the same amount or more as a quality tool that wouldn't have stripped that bolt or broken or something like that. Buy a quality tool and it will last for a long time and not cause any issues, it will cost more initially but in the end you buy them once.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-26-23, 10:50 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
They're ok but not great, their extensive presence on Amazon is because they are an amazon brand. For allen or torx wrenches or bits check out Bondhus which is a good US brand at a reasonable price, if you've got money to spend, Wiha will be better and is a German brand. Lowest quality entry level IMHO for something worth having is Tekton, they'll probably be Taiwan made, sometimes US made, they're every bit as good as craftsman used to be, meaning good quality, sturdy, dependable, affordable and perfect for the average tool user but not always the best for professionals. For a bike clinic I helped set up we bought tekton wrenches and gearwrench ratchet wrenches, can't say anything bad about them, and both brands hold up very well. Since I do more than bikes at home I only have Wright, SK and Snap-on since they don't slip or break. Other brands to look at for wrenched would be Gedore and Wera which are both German, Williams which will be Taiwan made, or Black Hawk which is a US brand.
Any bike specific tools I'd look to Park (US made), Hozan (Japanese), or Var (French), I use from all three brands based on the tool, having used some of each in different shops I find sometimes one brand does a better version then the others but all three are good, not certain what, if any of these tools are available where you are.
In my experience, Taiwan's tools tend to better quality, typically US and Japanese tend to be top quality since the cheaper companies went to China, German tend to be the best on a lot of tools, and China can be all over the board on. Made in India or anywhere near there tends tto mean its an item too cheaply made to even be made in china and that isn't good.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 01-28-23, 01:05 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,493 Times in 496 Posts
I kick myself in the hiney everyday because just a month ago, I could've gotten this Hazet bit set for just 190 Saudi riyals off of Amazon Prime, but I told myself I'd just wait until the end of the month... only for the price to shoot up to SAR290! I was like WTF? Now it dropped back down to SAR254 and I'm watching it like a hawk.

That said, I'm also looking at this Milwaukee set that may or may not be any good, but I'm a home mechanic and it's got multiple pieces of each, so...
Old 01-28-23, 01:56 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 646 Posts
Originally Posted by sjanzeir
I kick myself in the hiney everyday because just a month ago, I could've gotten this Hazet bit set for just 190 Saudi riyals off of Amazon Prime, but I told myself I'd just wait until the end of the month... only for the price to shoot up to SAR290! I was like WTF? Now it dropped back down to SAR254 and I'm watching it like a hawk.

That said, I'm also looking at this Milwaukee set that may or may not be any good, but I'm a home mechanic and it's got multiple pieces of each, so...
I’ve always had good luck with Hazet but when it comes to small bits Wiha is always better