Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Colnago Mexico questions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Colnago Mexico questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-23, 04:00 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 104 Posts
Colnago Mexico questions

I am considering going to pick up a frame a considerable distance from me (4hr drive). They are calling it a Mexico but from the pictures I have I doubt it. Notably it has the cable routing below the bb, rounded seat stay caps with "Colnago" written on them, it looks like there are indentations on the chainstays and I cannot make out any crimps on the main tubes. Also they claim the frame is SL tubing which screams Colnago Super but I am def ne expert. Does anything I mention here rule out a Mexico frame? I am going to have $500 invested by the time I get home including fuel so I am not sure it is worth it where it is going to need a repaint.
Old 01-30-23, 07:39 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
Mexico had Columbus Record not Super SL tubing which delivered the well know weight, ovalized chainstay vs. the Super dents, cabling above the BB, etc., etc, sounds like a "falso terribile" to me. I have a Super, they are nice frames but not at Mexico prices.
Old 01-30-23, 12:16 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4511 Post(s)
Liked 6,378 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by daviddavieboy
I am considering going to pick up a frame a considerable distance from me (4hr drive). They are calling it a Mexico but from the pictures I have I doubt it. Notably it has the cable routing below the bb, rounded seat stay caps with "Colnago" written on them, it looks like there are indentations on the chainstays and I cannot make out any crimps on the main tubes. Also they claim the frame is SL tubing which screams Colnago Super but I am def ne expert. Does anything I mention here rule out a Mexico frame? I am going to have $500 invested by the time I get home including fuel so I am not sure it is worth it where it is going to need a repaint.
Well I'm no nago xpert and you well know we need pics to even try to help but any grail type frame is going to be worth $500 round trip, shipped, delivered, etc, whatever.

Shipping a frame now days can be $100 whether it a Colnago or a BSO so if it is any sort of desirable Colnago, it is probably worth the time, $$$ and effort.

I know $500 is not nothing but in this arena its about the least you will get away with for anything worthwhile.

Ifn I was you and you can be reasonably sure it is a Colnago, I would get to it.
Old 01-30-23, 01:46 PM
Mackers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 141 Posts
SL and under BB cable routing rules out it's a Mexico.
Absence of crimped down and top tube rules out it's a Nuovo Mexico or ESA Mexico.

I happen to think $500 is an awful lot of money for an at best Super frameset in need of a paint job.
Old 01-30-23, 01:59 PM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
Mexico had Columbus Record not Super SL tubing which delivered the well know weight, ovalized chainstay vs. the Super dents, cabling above the BB, etc., etc, sounds like a "falso terribile" to me. I have a Super, they are nice frames but not at Mexico prices.
Originally Posted by Mackers
SL and under BB cable routing rules out it's a Mexico.
Absence of crimped down and top tube rules out it's a Nuovo Mexico or ESA Mexico.

I happen to think $500 is an awful lot of money for an at best Super frameset in need of a paint job.
This is my thinking as well re: NOT a Mexico and too mush money for what it is. Heck, I missed a 80's Master a month ago for $500+ shipping. Thanks for the reassurance on this as I REALLY wanted it to be a Mexico even though alarm bells were going off.

Mackers it is all round tubes with NO crimping. I'll just keep going with the late 60's Grandis I'll keep the $$ for parts LOL.