Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Wheel advice..

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.
View Poll Results: Wheel win?
Yea sure
50.00%
No way
50.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Wheel advice..

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-23, 11:44 AM
bicyclejohnny
Vintaged

Bikes: Super, Prologo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Wheel advice..

Hello - I am now authorized to post images so here’s two of the three in the stable.

Super

Prologo
Old 01-30-23, 11:54 AM
Ex Pres 
Cat 6

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 118 Posts
I usually don't like Ventos on steel (i.e. small-tube) frames; but because they're silver, and the frame is too, I say OK.
And of course a funny bike needs a disc and aero front, but 1. colors need to coordinate better, and 2: bladed spokes would be my preference. You can always paint the rim, though when I've done it, it was pre-spoking. Maybe put a white strip around the disc edge
Likes For Ex Pres:
Old 01-30-23, 11:59 AM
bicyclejohnny
Vintaged

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ex Pres
I usually don't like Ventos on steel (i.e. small-tube) frames; but because they're silver, and the frame is too, I say OK.
And of course a funny bike needs a disc and aero front, but 1. colors need to coordinate better, and 2: bladed spokes would be my preference. You can always paint the rim, though when I've done it, it was pre-spoking. Maybe put a white strip around the disc edge
thanks for the reply and feedback!

the Prologo is a work in progress/ the Colnago decals on the disc wheel have since been removed and that 650c was honestly just to get going; it’s kind of growing on me now and I’m experimenting with some decals to arrive shorty

cheers-
Old 01-30-23, 12:30 PM
agnewton

Bikes: Peugeot UO-10, '78; Fuji Sp.RR, '73, mixte '75

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Well executed and well done. The two-tone bar tape on the super was a detail I picked up on second viewing. Tan side walls and the tan edge on the saddle come together. Don't know what I would do with the Prologo colors. The three primary colors on the frame make color coordinating tough. Black and white are the perfect "will match anything" choice; maybe the bar tape and cables are a bit too florescent, maybe I should adjust my display. And I am all for safety in cycling, but if I am gonna quibble, maybe upgrade the bell on the super(?). It may be one of the premium ones, but it looks a bit too like the one I got at the dollar store.

Old 01-30-23, 12:54 PM
bicyclejohnny
Vintaged

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by agnewton
Well executed and well done. The two-tone bar tape on the super was a detail I picked up on second viewing. Tan side walls and the tan edge on the saddle come together. Don't know what I would do with the Prologo colors. The three primary colors on the frame make color coordinating tough. Black and white are the perfect "will match anything" choice; maybe the bar tape and cables are a bit too florescent, maybe I should adjust my display. And I am all for safety in cycling, but if I am gonna quibble, maybe upgrade the bell on the super(?). It may be one of the premium ones, but it looks a bit too like the one I got at the dollar store.

ah thanks 🙏🏽 appreciate the kind words.

I forgot the bell was on there haha -

Prologo has some stuff in the works for sure; It’s a blast to ride 🤙🏽 🤘🏽
Old 01-30-23, 01:01 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts
The Pinarello lo-pro is beautiful. But what is up with that rear wheel? Why is there a huge hole where the valve stem is? Why does the brake track look like that?
The front wheel looks like it was meant for a track/ fixed gear bike. You probably want a rim with a machined brake track.
Old 01-30-23, 04:17 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
Once you get outside of the tried and true, period correct build space, things very quickly become a matter of taste. This isn't my taste, but I'm sure that doesn't matter to you. I'll opine anyway since you made this a poll.

I recognize the first bike as being representative of a certain style. Judging within that style, the Ventos are a very nice choice. I'm also happy to see an actual brake on the bike, and very happy to see that you didn't dispose of the derailleur hanger or shifter bosses. Someone in the future will be glad. As long as the bike stays rust-free, this one works.

The funny bike....also not my taste, but more immediately appealing. The main complaint I'd have about that one is the Colnago fairing on a Pinarello. I also feel like the deep section white front wheel is at odds with the more-or-less period correct rear wheel. I could be wrong on both parts of that judgment, but it feels a bit mixed, like the vintage time trial bike is well suited to a psuedo-disc rear wheel, and using a deep section front wheel with that makes sense, but the whole conglomeration doesn't work because the white rim looks more like it belongs on a tricked out fixie that a time trial bike.

Just my two cents, but worth every penny IMHO.
Old 01-30-23, 06:16 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3887 Post(s)
Liked 6,482 Times in 3,206 Posts
Where are the clips and straps? Pedal dust cap? Are these for riding or just for taking nds pics?
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 01-30-23, 06:39 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Wheels schmeels. Tilt the bars down on the silver fixed...looks like a fishing hook.

Otherwise, good to go.
Likes For clubman:
Old 03-03-23, 10:54 AM
bicyclejohnny
Vintaged

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Ah missing dust cap/ right haha

I should probably just throw the whole bike away now/ what was I thinking? haha