Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Techniques for cold-setting forks?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-14, 02:38 PM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Bikes: Varies by day

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I've read that the most common way of resetting 91mm steel forks for 100mm hubs is to put a lever (pipe) over them and make a gorilla move. Although this undoubtedly works, it would seem that the chances for moving the wheel off-center are fairly steep.

I'm thinking that if I bought a foot of threaded rod and then put washers and nuts inside the fork tips, the gradual stress of the nuts being threaded outward would put more gradual and even stress on both fork legs simultaneously.

If (and it's an admittedly big if) the fork legs were initially brazed with equal security to both sides of the fork crown, then the tensile strength of the legs (being equal) would spread them evenly and thus keep the center of the wheel in the center of the fork.

Is this wishful thinking?

Regardless, how far beyond the desired width must the nuts spread the forks for the new "rest" width to be equal to the desired 101mm?

Finally, there is some hazard in the "gradual spread" method... If the spreader bar pops out of the axle tips of the fork while under tension, some serious kinetic energy is suddenly released. Other than not standing over the forks and wearing safety glasses / face shield, is there any other precaution that can be taken?

Thanks - FH
Old 12-30-14, 02:45 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
Originally Posted by FarHorizon
I've read that the most common way of resetting 91mm steel forks for 100mm hubs is to put a lever (pipe) over them and make a gorilla move. Although this undoubtedly works, it would seem that the chances for moving the wheel off-center are fairly steep......
Are you having a specific problem, or is this another of your general questions?

I don't speak for anyone else, but while I'm willing to put the time and effort to help someone with a problem, I have zero interest in making an effort to write a treatise just so satisfy someone's idle curiosity. There's plenty of information on this topic, if you'll make a modest effort to research it.

Rant over --- I'm out.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 12-30-14, 02:54 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4790 Post(s)
Liked 3,918 Times in 2,548 Posts
I don't think it matters much how you spread the fork blades. You have to measure the results. Thinking that the blades will go into plastic yield at the same time is dreaming. And you will have to have a means of correcting one blade at a time.

Using the pipe method is pretty simple. Tug one side until it is half the increase further, turn the fork around and do the other side. Results will be very close to symmetrical. Your method may work if the original builder was completely uniform in the heating of each blade to braze and working with identically drawn tubes. And likewise, completely uniform in coldset required after brazing. That's a lot to ask.

Ben
Old 12-30-14, 02:57 PM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Yes - I'm about to spread some forks. This is not a theoretical question. The general information that I've been able to find on Google & Sheldonbrown.com mentions the pipe method, but I hadn't seen anything on the spreader idea. I'm asking if it's feasible. Apparently, not.
@FBinNY - I apologize if my questions offend you. They aren't intended to. Feel free to block my posts if they're too much to bear.

I'm out.
Old 12-30-14, 03:03 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
After you get them spaced you will need to tweak the dropouts inward, because they will be flared out once you spread the legs. When you tweak the dropouts into alignment, the measurement will change again.

Tweak, remeasure, retweak, remeasure, repeat, repeat. Have fun. I've done it.
Old 12-30-14, 03:04 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
1 take it out and clamp it in a vise ,, then you have to find the center line of the steering Axis ..

Park used to sell a reference Jig , so your bending resulted in 2 mirror image symmetrical Dropouts and the fork was in alignment
right left, fore and aft

+dropouts parallel, as described above.. another tool set..

but with China Making cheap replacement Forks, shops dont need them and Park Dropped Making The reference Gage.

Last edited by fietsbob; 12-30-14 at 03:07 PM.
Old 12-30-14, 03:08 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5766 Post(s)
Liked 2,538 Times in 1,404 Posts
Originally Posted by FarHorizon
@FBinNY - I apologize if my questions offend you. They aren't intended to. Feel free to block my posts if they're too much to bear.

I'm out.
It's not that they bother me. As I said, I'll gladly help someone with a problem, and my record here proves that. But here's an example where you read about a method, and instead of trying it you're already coming up with hypothetical changes.

The conventional wisdom isn't always spot on, but it does have a good track record. A token effort at research would have found a number of methods along with supporting reasons and caveats, and this question would have been answered before it was asked.

BTW- since it isn't purely hypothetical -- the reason the spreader to simultaneously spread both sides won't work is that it's impossible to bend two pieces of steel at once. Steel has spring back properties and will only bend (or cold set) when it reaches yield strength, at which point, it relieves the load by moving. So as you add spreading force, one one side give, you cannot achieve the greater force to move the other. In the end all the movement will happen in whichever is the first side (usually, the right).

By analogy - imagine a strong man standing on a skateboard in the middle of the rope between two tug of war teams, and trying to pull both in. Once either team breaks down the other will pull him, and the fallen team to their side.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 12-30-14 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-30-14, 04:01 PM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Understood. Thanks. My conclusion? Buy a fork - cheaper & more certain of alignment.
Old 12-30-14, 04:32 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,260 Times in 869 Posts
There's another way to partially "skin the cat".

Some Shimano hubs utilize spacers which can be removed.
Example is the HB-M290 which has a 2mm spacer on each side. Remove them and you are down to 96MM.
IF you can find thinner lock nuts, you maybe able to save 2mm additional.
I was able to spring a fork enough to make that work, although it's a tight fit.

https://www.paul-lange.de/support/sh...HB-M290-95.PDF

Last edited by Bill Kapaun; 12-30-14 at 04:35 PM.
Old 12-30-14, 06:00 PM
FarHorizon
Senior Curmudgeon

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks, Bill - I'll look and see if the front hub has extraneous spacers in it.
Old 12-30-14, 08:50 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-me...ard-right.html

This is a previous thread I replied to. Check out post #6 . Like others have said, there's a lot of advice for the searching. Andy.