Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best Endurance/All Road Bike

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Best Endurance/All Road Bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-21, 06:40 AM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by clichty
Is it the overall weight (like you said, wheels) that makes this bike so cheap? Looks like some more alloy bits here and there but seems cheap relative to others.
The Scott is a great bike. They always cost less without sacrificing quality (except the wheels). I had a 2019 with Di2 and it’s a great bike.
Old 06-26-21, 06:48 AM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Originally Posted by Kabuto
Of the options you've listed, the Domane and Roubaix have the highest stack, so that's something to consider if you'd prefer a more relaxed upright position. Not hugely so, but 10-20mm can/does make quite a difference. Unlike the other bikes, they also have "suspension": the Roubaix has the FutureShock and low mounted Pave seatpost designed to flex and the Domane has IsoSpeed front and rear). I have both bikes and their respective suspensions works well to dampen road buzz, but I much prefer the feel of the FutureShock 2.0 and Pave seatpost over the IsoSpeed. The Roubaix frame also feels way more responsive to me, and its a noticeably lighter bike. Both great bikes though.
I love my new Roubaix. Very enjoyable ride!
Old 06-26-21, 08:35 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
I own a Trek Domane SL6 but upgraded with Ultegra Di2, Dura Ace cassette, pedals and Bontrager RSL 37 wheels with superlight Rene Herse tires and though I haven't weighed it, it feels like it is over 20 pounds. Basically the frame is heavy for a carbon bike but I am willing to compromise because the bike is so comfortable.

What I like about the bike is the versatility. Yesterday I rode the bike with 650 x 42 on some gravel and the day before that on 700 x 37. Days before that I was on 28 mm tires on pavement. It really is an all rounder.

There are so many good bikes in your price range that what ever you choose, it will be a good one.
Old 06-26-21, 10:16 AM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

Originally Posted by blakcloud
I own a Trek Domane SL6 but upgraded with Ultegra Di2, Dura Ace cassette, pedals and Bontrager RSL 37 wheels with superlight Rene Herse tires and though I haven't weighed it, it feels like it is over 20 pounds. Basically the frame is heavy for a carbon bike but I am willing to compromise because the bike is so comfortable.

What I like about the bike is the versatility. Yesterday I rode the bike with 650 x 42 on some gravel and the day before that on 700 x 37. Days before that I was on 28 mm tires on pavement. It really is an all rounder.

There are so many good bikes in your price range that what ever you choose, it will be a good one.
My Roubaix also isn’t the lightest. But like you it is quite comfortable. The best bike is the one that is enjoyable to ride, even if it’s a bit heavier.
Old 06-26-21, 10:46 AM
Esthetic

Bikes: 2019 Felt FR2 Etap Disc*2017 Wilier Cento10Air Ramato Etap*2020 Trek Domane SL6**2018 Trek ProCaliber 8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud

Great upgrades and wheelswap options, im looking forward to hitting dirt with it soon. It is heavier build for a carbon bike but it still feels swift and speedier in uptempo pace than say a traditional piping steel bike at the same weight. My issue is I have not upgraded the gearing. Where I live in NJ , our steepest hills and metric Fondo i do I've always done well with 11-28 on a Compact on my climbing bikes. The 11-34 has a few gearing jumps that slow me down to where the weight of the bike compounds a bit. At my first chance I'd like to try an 11-30, I think that would smoothen and tighten up the gearing for me on the road. I just hope I won't miss it when the tires get bigger and the gravel gets lower speed and technical?
Old 06-26-21, 08:10 PM
Jburrow

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Posting to pose another option: what about Time and Look? I am in a similar position as the OP but in the $5k bracket. Currently looking at the Look 765 Optimum+, Giant Defy Advance Pro 2, Specialized Roubaix Expert.

I only pose Time and Look as I hear wonderful things about their quality control when compared to Cervelo, OPEN, and others. Apparently they make wonderful CF.
Old 06-26-21, 10:14 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
I recently bought a Trek Domane SLR7 and used Project One to upgrade some bits (mostly because of availability). Ended up with a bike just under 18 lbs and it feels so much lighter than my 2019 SL5. The bike is vastly more expensive but it's also obviously better basically everywhere. It will definitely be my do-it-all bike for (hopefully) many years.

Di2 is great. Being lighter is great. The bigger tire clearance is great. The vastly better wheels is great. The saddle is better (stock P3 Verse Pro vice Arvada Xomp). The storage compartment is great.
Old 06-27-21, 06:29 AM
clichty

Bikes: Moots Vamoots RCS, Serotta Ti, Felt F55, Surly Ogre

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Jburrow
Posting to pose another option: what about Time and Look? I am in a similar position as the OP but in the $5k bracket. Currently looking at the Look 765 Optimum+, Giant Defy Advance Pro 2, Specialized Roubaix Expert.

I only pose Time and Look as I hear wonderful things about their quality control when compared to Cervelo, OPEN, and others. Apparently they make wonderful CF.
I have heard the opposite about Time and Look recently though. I thought they used to be much better (I did love Look bikes 10 years ago) but their equality has deteriorated in recent years.
Old 06-27-21, 06:32 AM
tigat

Bikes: 2021 Trek Checkpoint SL (GRX Di2), 2020 Domane SLR 9 (very green), 2016 Trek Emonda SL, 2009 Bianchi 928, 1972 Atala Record Pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 143 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Esthetic
The 11-34 has a few gearing jumps that slow me down to where the weight of the bike compounds a bit. At my first chance I'd like to try an 11-30, I think that would smoothen and tighten up the gearing for me on the road. I just hope I won't miss it when the tires get bigger and the gravel gets lower speed and technical?
I run an 11-30 on my Domane on both the road and gravel wheels, because that is as much as the DA will take. It's more than ample for the road. In gravel mode, ramps over 12% or so have the front wheel bouncing up with every slow pedal stroke - no standing for me since I only have one arm. I would love to have something a bit lower.

Then again, I've reached an age where I am on the downside of the power curve
Old 06-27-21, 06:36 AM
Jburrow

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by clichty
I have heard the opposite about Time and Look recently though. I thought they used to be much better (I did love Look bikes 10 years ago) but their equality has deteriorated in recent years.

oh! That is interesting - would you mind linking some of that info? This isn’t sarcasm at all - I am genuinely interested since I am heavily considering the Look. Currently comparing to the Giant and Specialized.

a friend of mine was going to buy the Domane but ended up with an Emonda because he found the iso speed odd at speed - he said he didn’t feel connected to the tires and the road.
Old 06-27-21, 09:36 AM
PeteHski

Quoted: 4392 Post(s)
Liked 4,835 Times in 2,989 Posts

I have a Giant Defy Adv Pro 2 (2019 model, current frame) and can't really fault it as an endurance bike. But our local roads are bumpy enough that I think a Specialized Roubaix would be even better. So that's what I'm looking at if I get another bike. I don't think any of the other endurance bikes on the market really offer any significant advantage over the Defy. Maybe the Trek Domane with its Iso-Speed tech. The main reason I chose the Defy was because it was easily the best value for money including pretty decent carbon wheels. I paid just £2k for it in the pre-covid end of season sales.
Old 06-27-21, 01:31 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Preface: you will not be able to buy anything unless you find a shop that has something you want in stock.

I'll set aside the obvious Domane and Roubaix, although both a great bikes. Also, I have a 2020 Defy Advanced Pro 0. It's a terrific bike and right around your budget. I think a new Defy is coming soon though. You might want to hold off.

Other endurance road to consider:
Cervelo Caledonia 5
Willier Cento 10 NDR
Cannondale Synapse HI-MOD
Canyon Endurace CF

Fast riding gravel race bikes to consider:
3T Exploro Racemax
Ridley Kanzo Fast
Open U.P.
Santa Cruz Stigmata

Also, don't forget about cross bikes. They are racier than both of the above and can handle pretty much anything. I particularly like the new Giant TCX and the Specialized Crux.
Old 06-27-21, 01:36 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Preface: you will not be able to buy anything unless you find a shop that has something you want in stock.

I'll set aside the obvious Domane and Roubaix, although both a great bikes. Also, I have a 2020 Defy Advanced Pro 0. It's a terrific bike and right around your budget. I think a new Defy is coming soon though. You might want to hold off.

Cervelo Caledonia 5
Willier Cento 10 NDR
Canyon Endurace CF

3T Exploro Racemax
Ridley Kanzo Fast
Open U.P.
Santa Cruz Stigmata

Also, don't forget about cross bikes. They are racier than both of the above and can handle pretty much anything. I particularly like the new Giant TCX and the Specialized Crux.
As you mentioned the Open UP, how about the more road focused Open MIN.D?
Old 06-27-21, 02:17 PM
Jburrow

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Cervelo Caledonia 5
Willier Cento 10 NDR
Canyon Endurace CF

3T Exploro Racemax
Ridley Kanzo Fast
Open U.P.
Santa Cruz Stigmata

its funny you mentioned the Wilier: I have a major soft spot for them. I think they are gorgeous compared to the Giants and Specialized models. I just wonder how they’re carbon fiber layup and quality compared amongst them all.
Old 06-27-21, 06:33 PM
PeteHski

its funny you mentioned the Wilier: I have a major soft spot for them. I think they are gorgeous compared to the Giants and Specialized models. I just wonder how they’re carbon fiber layup and quality compared amongst them all.
I would imagine their carbon frames are outsourced to an Asian factory. Not saying that's a bad thing, but I doubt the quality would be any better than Giant or Specialized. Giant actually make frames for several of the smaller brands, but I don't know about Willier.
Old 06-27-21, 07:04 PM
Jburrow

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by PeteHski
I would imagine their carbon frames are outsourced to an Asian factory. Not saying that's a bad thing, but I doubt the quality would be any better than Giant or Specialized. Giant actually make frames for several of the smaller brands, but I don't know about Willier.
true. I know Giant makes frames for Trek and others. I know Merida makes most of the frames for Specialized. Is Merida comparable to the quality of Giant? I know Giant weaves their own carbon prepreg sheets and they are supposedly high quality.

Last edited by Jburrow; 06-27-21 at 07:14 PM.
Old 06-28-21, 06:02 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by PeteHski
Giant makes frames for the bigger brands too. Trek, Scott and Colnago for example. Specialized doesn't make any of their own frames, as far as I know.

One of the reasons I bought a Giant is because of their excellent reputation for carbon construction, bottom brackets, dropouts, internal cabling etc. Giants are known to be no-nonsense bikes with excellent engineering.
Old 06-28-21, 06:33 AM
Jburrow

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Giant makes frames for the bigger brands too. Trek, Scott and Colnago for example. Specialized doesn't make any of their own frames, as far as I know.

One of the reasons I bought a Giant is because of their excellent reputation for carbon construction, bottom brackets, dropouts, internal cabling etc. Giants are known to be no-nonsense bikes with excellent engineering.

thats why I have considered them. Also my LBs is a giant carrier. My wife has a Liv that has been excellent. They have an odd image of being the affordable brand of bike here in the US. But, that may be a marketing thing.
Old 06-28-21, 06:34 AM
WorldIRC
Canadian eh?

thats why I have considered them. Also my LBs is a giant carrier. My wife has a Liv that has been excellent. They have an odd image of being the affordable brand of bike here in the US. But, that may be a marketing thing.
In Canada, Scott, while less popular, is often more affordable than the other big players, including Giant.
Old 06-28-21, 01:11 PM
PeteHski

true. I know Giant makes frames for Trek and others. I know Merida makes most of the frames for Specialized. Is Merida comparable to the quality of Giant? I know Giant weaves their own carbon prepreg sheets and they are supposedly high quality.
Well all I can say is having owned both Giant and Specialized carbon frames, both seem to be of good quality. I get the feeling there is very little in it in terms of carbon frame quality between all the well known big brands. I would be more wary of buying a carbon frame from one of the smaller boutique brands, who may have little control over the manufacturing process and probably little experience anyway of carbon design/production. There are exceptions of course. For example Factor bikes in the UK, who gained their carbon experience directly from the motorsport industry.
Old 06-29-21, 12:42 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts

Mine creaks after only a month ( Revolt Advanced 2 ) :/ The store I bought from went out of business. I took to the store that I bought my gf Liv Devote Advanced 2 they said bottom 9 of 10 it just needs to be repacked and since I did not buy from them I had to pay them. This for a bike that's only a few months old. I can't imagine buying a toyota in NY and then trying to get it warranty in CA and them giving me the run around like that.

Two different friends bought Liv Devote Advanced 2 ( ladies giant ) both of them after a month had the shifting cable splinter.

Old 06-29-21, 01:06 PM
PeteHski

Originally Posted by sean.hwy
Mine creaks after only a month ( Revolt Advanced 2 ) :/ The store I bought from went out of business. I took to the store that I bought my gf Liv Devote Advanced 2 they said bottom 9 of 10 it just needs to be repacked and since I did not buy from them I had to pay them. This for a bike that's only a few months old. I can't imagine buying a toyota in NY and then trying to get it warranty in CA and them giving me the run around like that.

Two different friends bought Liv Devote Advanced 2 ( ladies giant ) both of them after a month had the shifting cable splinter.

I wouldn’t be very happy with that! The cable guides on my Defy head tube look different to those and haven’t had that issue. On mine the cables are fixed where they enter the frame so they don’t fret like those in your photos appear to have done.
Old 07-09-21, 09:40 PM
basscadet

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
Also looking for the very best endurance bike and not sure which way to go. LBS push Trek, Giant, and Specialized's offerings but I've owned higher-end Trek and Specialized bikes and found them overwrought, heavy, poor values. Bought a Canyon Ultimate CF SLX 9, makes the Treks/Specialized feel like junk in comparison and hoped to make it as comfy as possible with a raised stem and fatter tires but it is just so skittish and not confidence-inspiring.

Keep coming back to my OPEN UP which I think is just about the best bike in the world but want a backup bike, an endurance bike with slightly narrower tires for when I get the itch to crush some miles on tarmac. Obviously I'm considering the Endurace from Canyon as I'm sold on their build quality but would really like to step up into the ultra premium range. Considering BMC and Scott's endurance bikes.
Old 07-10-21, 08:58 AM
Symox

Bikes: '23 Poseidon Redwood, '07 Specialized Roubaix Comp Triple, '12 Gravity Fixie, '21 Liv Rove 4, '06? Giant EB Spirit

Quoted: 345 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 151 Posts
With that budget I’d look into custom frame builders. Frame likely made out of steel but that is not a bad thing. I happen to believe fit and geometry Trump material when it comes to frames.

I own and love a carbon bike btw, but if I could afford it, I wouldn’t hesitate for a custom steel bike
Old 07-10-21, 10:27 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by Symox
I happen to believe fit and geometry Trump material when it comes to frames.
Unless you're at the extremes of the bell curve, desired/needed fit and geometry isn't too hard to come by, IMO.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.