Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

EMP and D2i

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-22, 08:59 PM
KLiNCK
Optically Corrected

Bikes: 2012 Specialized Sirrus , 2012 Specialized Roubaix Comp

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
Cables will be the first thing to be stripped off the bike as they're really good for garroting zombies with.
Once again, die-drawn stainless steel would be better, over galvanized, in this situation as well... I reckon.
Old 03-26-22, 09:27 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by qwaalodge
If a major EMP happens, you'll have angry hordes of people with no electricity, no work.

Your biggest problem is getting beat up and your bike stolen. Worse if your bike had Di2, the angry hordes will find it doesn't work and get even angrier and beat you up even more and also hurl painful insults at you for using Di2

Your best chance of surviving EMP is riding the ugliest, most cheapest looking bike you'll find and also wearing ugly clothes
​​​​​​I'm too vain to live in the post EMP world.
Likes For Seattle Forrest:
Old 03-26-22, 09:30 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Cross Check would be a good post apocalyptic bike. It's not ugly enough to be a great one I guess, it's actually fairly classy looking. But it's mechanically simple, has clearance to take a pretty big range of tires when they start getting hard to find, and you can roll over terrain my Cervelo is too dainty for.
Old 03-27-22, 07:42 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
In only a day this thread is showing some good entertainment value.

But to keep with the topic, of my bikes I think my 3 speed with drum brakes that is over a half century old will be the ideal bike. I bought it used in the 70s, it went into storage in the 80s when I was unable to buy the extremely odd size tires for it, but when 650b became a thing again I put new tires on it. Occasionally use it for a grocery store run.

When I bought it, I got the matching woman's frame bike with it, at that time I discarded that frame but kept the wheels and a few other parts as spares. Thus, I probably have several years of spares for it.

I might have to get it out today to take a photo of it.

Originally Posted by qwaalodge
Your best chance of surviving EMP is riding the ugliest, most cheapest looking bike you'll find and also wearing ugly clothes
If that happens, it will not be long before we all are wearing ugly clothes.
Old 03-27-22, 07:59 AM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Doesn't everyone keep a pre 1973 Ford Bronco loaded up with old Stumpjumpers, beans, bullets, and bullion ready to go?
Likes For GhostRider62:
Old 03-27-22, 06:47 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,375 Times in 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
An EMP pulse, if generated from a high yield nuclear explosion in near space, over the general region of the Di2 user, would have the computer chips in the shifters and battery fried. No need to wait for the battery to die, the unit is a single speed in seconds.
A magnetic pulse won't fry semiconductors. There are such things as radiation hardened IC's, but that is to protect them from the overall radiation that tends to forward bias the substrate that is normally reverse biased. There are also ways to limit the current in non-radiation hardened IC's.. at least these were used when I was designing satellite electronics for defense purposes.

Magnetic pulse testing is not hard to do. Many EMC and test labs offer it. As with a lot of EMC issues, the sensitivity of the electronics is improved by reducing the loop area of the wiring. From what I've seen of the Shimano wiring, the loop area is quite small. On the other hand, I doubt that Shimano has put a lot of work into making their electronics tolerant of large electromagnetic fields, since there's no regulatory requirement for it.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 03-27-22, 07:06 PM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 481 Post(s)
Liked 1,580 Times in 732 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
Doesn't everyone keep a pre 1973 Ford Bronco loaded up with old Stumpjumpers, beans, bullets, and bullion ready to go?
Nah, I go with nightvision goggles, a 10/22 with a can, and a map of where the preppers live.

JUST KIDDING!
I don't have a can.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 03-27-22, 07:36 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by BTinNYC
Nah, I go with nightvision goggles, a 10/22 with a can, and a map of where the preppers live.

JUST KIDDING!
I don't have a can.
Certainly not in das Peoples Republic of Neue York
Old 03-27-22, 08:56 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
When viewing footage from various disaster zones, it is very common to see a bicycle somewhere in the camera's field of view. After roads are broken by an earthquake, get covered by fallen tree trunks in a tornado or all side roads are covered in deep snow, it is often the bicycle that can still get you around. I.e., the question is not frivolous in situation where Ukraine shows how your life can get turned upside down overnight even in absence of any natural disasters. Radiation sickness? Even in acute cases, you may still have weeks to live during which you can take care of others.
Old 03-29-22, 05:49 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,620 Times in 2,123 Posts
Just remember, Guys, gun talk = thread lock.

Carry on.

Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 03-29-22, 04:10 PM
tempocyclist

Bikes: 2002 Trek 5200 (US POSTAL), 2020 Canyon Aeroad SL

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by UKbikerinPH
What is known about the possible effect of an EMP event, either natural or man-made on D2i and similar systems.
I'd be more worried about my Garmin. How am I going to upload my KOM smashing post-apocalyptic rides to Strava if my Garmin gets fried?

Originally Posted by Phoenix800
I bought a couple of used DI2 component sets on eBay a few years back and tested them in my emp chamber. I have an array of supercapacitors that power an antenna inside a steel box. The box is a modified shipping contianer I use to store smoked deer meat, white rice, dried beans, and ammunition. I'm able to blast out almost a megajoule in about 30 picoseconds. It's a crazy intense blast. I remove the deer meat, rice, beans, and ammunition from the container for the tests.
Could you test my Garmin in your EMP chamber please? I'm happy to help you move the deer meat, rice, beans, and ammunition out if you need a hand.
Likes For tempocyclist:
Old 03-30-22, 06:35 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
But to keep with the topic, of my bikes I think my 3 speed with drum brakes that is over a half century old will be the ideal bike. I bought it used in the 70s, it went into storage in the 80s when I was unable to buy the extremely odd size tires for it, but when 650b became a thing again I put new tires on it. Occasionally use it for a grocery store run.

When I bought it, I got the matching woman's frame bike with it, at that time I discarded that frame but kept the wheels and a few other parts as spares. Thus, I probably have several years of spares for it.

I might have to get it out today to take a photo of it.
Photo below:

The Perfekt bike.