Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

The 2022 How Was Your Commute? Thread

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

The 2022 How Was Your Commute? Thread

Old 05-27-22, 03:40 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2575 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,192 Posts
Pretty good ride today. Clouds rolled in later this afternoon, so the trip home was mostly overcast. Breezy, but a consistent side wind most of the way, so no real complaints there. Wonderful temperature -- around 70F both ways, a very nice change from upper 80s last week.

Now where can I ride this long weekend?
Old 05-30-22, 04:19 AM
essiemyra

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 80 Posts
Back at the work week Monday again. It was a pleasant ride in this morning. The small amount of wildlife I saw this morning seemed intent on living as it crossed the road and ran deep in the yard, fast really fast.
Old 05-31-22, 04:20 AM
essiemyra

Another pleasant commute this am with the temp at 73 f degrees and mostly cloudy skies. This morning's sightings of wildlife were a racoon crossing the 4 lane road that I live near. He made it across. Yay! Then I came along a big turtle sitting under the guardrail by the river (this area is rural). I was thinking he wanted to cross but he just sat there. I hope he makes it where he wants to go.
Old 05-31-22, 09:27 AM
groovestew

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
I need to leave 15 minutes earlier. The traffic around the two schools I ride by is pretty insane. Beautiful day for a ride otherwise.

I rode my fixed gear for the first time since 2019. That fall, I replaced the chain, but it wasn't meshing well with the cog. I figured I'd replace it in the spring, but then the pandemic hit, and suddenly bike parts were really hard to come by. So, the bike hung in my garage for two seasons. I managed to find a cog this spring and now everything is nice and smooth. I also picked up a slightly smaller chain ring (44T - currently running 46T) because I'm getting older, not riding as much, and wasn't sure how I'd find the hills. I still have the 46T on the bike, and yeah, the hills were pretty tough, but there's only two and they're not real big, just a bit steep. On the flats, the gear ratio was perfect. So, not sure if I'll swap the chain ring or not.
Old 06-01-22, 01:46 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Didn't school just get out?

Due to my boys both going to a clinic one town over and occasional summer camps, my commuting schedule is pretty much boned for the summer. Any laps I get will be nearly unplanned.

What it looks like in August, I dunno. The crazy school schedule thing for my kids' district is they start the 2nd week of August... this year on August 9. They get nearly four weeks in before Labor Day. Don't know if twins are both going to morning or midday kindergarten or one each (wouldn't that suck) but at least the school is only a quarter mile from home. The by-then-8yo will likely finish his clinic and return to class, but at a special classroom at a different school, meaning bussing. Packaging a ride to and from the office is just unknowable right now.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 06-01-22, 03:15 PM
groovestew

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Didn't school just get out?
Not in Canada, or at least, not in the province of Alberta. Summer holidays are July and August.
Likes For groovestew:
Old 06-02-22, 09:00 AM
groovestew

Look all around, nothing but blue sky
Look straight ahead, nothing but blooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sky!

I know there's a million versions of this song; this is my favourite:
Old 06-02-22, 09:06 AM
pdlamb

Gorgeous day here as well. Had some trouble getting my stuff together -- I'm still not on auto-pilot in the morning like I was a couple years ago.

Highlight of the day was along the 4-mile, one-stop drag race part of my commute. The road is elevated above the swamp. And just on the edge of the swamp, there are a goodly number of wild roses I'd never noticed before, and today they were blooming. Not quite worth climbing down riprap to get a sniff, but the blossoms were still something to enjoy (now that I know they're there!).
Old 06-06-22, 05:00 AM
essiemyra

A very pleasant though a little chilly commute. The temp was 51 f degrees when I left the house. I try and dress for the afternoon with shorts and a t-shirt, but I had on thin gloves, head band, and jacket also. As long as I can ride I should be happy.
Old 06-07-22, 05:10 AM
essiemyra

This morning's commute was a tad bit warmer at 56 f degrees so I didn't need the ear warmers or gloves today. It was a pleasant yet uneventful commute. This will end my bike commuting this week as we are getting rain tomorrow morning.
Old 06-07-22, 07:25 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 110 Posts
Consecutive bicycle work commute number 1433:

Woke up this morning to discover the forecast had changed. It was originally supposed to rain today, so I had packed my panniers and was planning on taking the hybrid with fenders. Now it is supposed to be partly cloudy, but dry. I'm pretty lazy and don't like expending the extra energy to ride my hybrid if it's not necessary, so I transferred everything into my backpack and took the road bike.

Temp was a pleasant 58°F with very little wind. I overdressed a bit, but other than that it was a pretty nice commute.

I was at my desk getting situated when our receptionist came over and said, "Hey, there's some light on your bike flashing." Oops. Left my front light on blink mode. Went out to turn it off and the battery died right when I was walking towards the bike. Well, I guess that was fortunate as now I could charge it. Had I not left it on it would have died during the ride home.

Stopped on the way to work to vote. I always wondered why they call voting "doing your civic duty," and then I saw the list of candidates...
Old 06-07-22, 03:48 PM
pdlamb

Not sure how I did it, but I managed to dodge the thundershowers (and storms) both ways. Looked iffy this morning, and the clear window I aimed for this afternoon was closing down fast by the time I made it home, though.

I guess it's supposed to feel like summer now it's June. Temperature wasn't bad, but the humidity was high enough I was glad for the breeze.
Old 06-09-22, 01:32 AM
Welshboy
PBP Ancien (2007)

Bikes: Cannondale CAADX (for commuting), Cannondale CAAD12, Cannondale CAAD12 Team CNCPT, Giant Contend 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 106 Posts
Back to work after a week's holiday in the Yorkshire Dales and I managed all three days without rain during my commutes despite some pretty dodgy weather in the UK at the moment. My contract has been extended by another month with a chance it'll go on just a bit further again which will take me to 61 and retirement. We'll see...
Old 06-09-22, 09:44 AM
groovestew

Construction is starting up again in a ravine on my route. They're completely rebuilding the trail (actually an old road, closed to motorized traffic for ~20 years), and I'm really looking forward to it being finished. It was in pretty horrible shape before. The project was scheduled to be completed by last fall, but when they shut down for the winter, it wasn't even half done. Big machines in there today. I think I'll take another route for the time being.

Another beautiful sunny morning, perfect cycling weather. Have a good day!
Old 06-14-22, 04:19 AM
essiemyra

Originally Posted by groovestew
Another beautiful sunny morning, perfect cycling weather. Have a good day!
My thoughts exactly as I rode my bike to work today.
Old 06-15-22, 05:11 AM
essiemyra

I was able to extend my morning ride to 13 miles. It was another sunny morning, and perfect cycling weather.
Old 06-15-22, 01:34 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Short lap today, with the MTB on the dog walking trails along the MUP. Nice
Old 06-15-22, 02:04 PM
Welshboy
PBP Ancien (2007)

Bikes: Cannondale CAADX (for commuting), Cannondale CAAD12, Cannondale CAAD12 Team CNCPT, Giant Contend 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 156 Times in 106 Posts
Good weather in the UK so the fenders came off my CAADX. Not related to commuting but I'm fortunate to work outdoors in an area right next to a natural meadow that's absolutely teeming with life and I'm especially enjoying watching the birds - mainly Jackdaws, Rooks, Magpies, Goldfinches, Sparrows, Swifts, Swallows, Buzzards and the occasional Red Kite. A work colleague lent me his binoculars and I think I've found a new hobby! I absolutely love watching them and after discovering the limitation of my own binoculars I'm going to treat myself to something more suitable.
Likes For Welshboy:
Old 06-16-22, 04:54 AM
essiemyra

Well another sunny perfect cycling weather ride to work today. And it is the end of the work week for me. Yay! If the great weather holds out a for the rest of the week the cycling will not be commuting but enjoyment.
Old 06-16-22, 07:12 AM
pdlamb

Originally Posted by essiemyra
Well another sunny perfect cycling weather ride to work today. And it is the end of the work week for me. Yay! If the great weather holds out a for the rest of the week the cycling will not be commuting but enjoyment.
Yay! The best part of commuting -- the way you're in shape for pleasant weekend rides!
Old 06-16-22, 09:38 AM
groovestew

Near the bottom of a gravel trail into the valley, someone had placed some large rocks across the path, far enough apart to ride between, but close enough that I had to slow way down. WTF? Twenty feet after, turning around a blind corner, was a good-sized tree laying across the path. Okay! I take back my WTF!

It's been soggy this week, but the rain let up yesterday afternoon and I was able to ride today. A bit damp on the gravel sections, but otherwise a great ride in. I'm enjoying my fixed gear again after nearly three years without.

Last edited by groovestew; 06-16-22 at 09:41 AM.
Old 06-22-22, 08:54 PM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 2,601 Times in 930 Posts
A bug flew in my mouth! Felt like it it hit my tooth, landed on the back of my tongue. Spit it out in a hurry for fear it was a bee.

Guess that's what I get for having my mouth open next to a canal.
Old 06-29-22, 07:20 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

When the school year starts it looks like I will return to commuting. Twins have the afternoon kindergarten shift at the neighborhood local school and kiddo rides the bus to a different school, so I'll get him up and on the bus at <8, ride to work and back by 2, receive him and walk to get the twins, WFH in the late afternoon.

If it's not too hot.
Old 06-30-22, 11:37 AM
groovestew

Hey everyone, it's been two weeks since my last bicycle commute. Only two other posts since then on this thread! I guess some of the few of us still posting are on holidays.

It's been really wet this month, part of the reason I haven't been riding much. Parts of the gravel trails I ride have been washed away, so I gotta be careful not to steer into a rut. Pretty nice day though. Humid - I left a trail of sweat drops on the office floor when I walked in with my bike.

Yesterday, for the first time ever, I used a hand signal to indicate a turn from my vehicle. My front left turn signal burned out a few days ago, and I needed to signal to a driver facing me that I was turning left. Out went my hand, he saw and waved acknowledgement. Even though I was driving, for a brief moment, it felt like I was on a bike.

Tomorrow is Canada Day, no work, no commute, so I'll wish everyone a great weekend a little early.
Old 06-30-22, 01:40 PM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 165 Times in 110 Posts
I'm still commuting, but haven't posted much lately. Not a whole lot outside of normal to talk about with my commute. Wash, rinse, repeat...

Consecutive bicycle work commute number 1450:

We're in a warm stretch right now with temps in the 90s. I'm not complaining one bit, as this is the weather I was praying for last February.

My road bike is in dire need of maintenance. The rear brakes are almost to metal, it's barely shifting in either direction and the bottom bracket is failing so bad that I have 1/4" of play at the ends of the cranks. I now have all sorts of replacement parts on hand ready to fix everything (bottom bracket, cassette, chain, shift cables, bar tape, brifter hoods and brake pads.) I was planning on doing the maintenance over the holiday weekend but last night I realized that my new bottom bracket takes a tool I don't have, so I had to order it. Hopefully the following weekend I can get everything back in ship-shape.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.