Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cycling fashion faux pas?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cycling fashion faux pas?

Old 08-01-22, 04:36 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,288 Times in 7,227 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Yup, during the winter months, I do tuck the base layer under the bib waste and straps to provide maximum warmth with a warm long sleeve jersey over the top. Garnish with a jacket or vest (called a gilet for the more hardcore).
That’s how the layer is meant to be worn. Rapha actually sells a base layer with seams positioned so they aren’t under the bib straps. Nice product.

I tour in bibs and have done a good number of trips in places where it can be cold when I hit the road and then warm up relatively quickly. Nice to have a base layer. I wear full zip jerseys, so removing the base layer is easy to remove.
Old 08-01-22, 10:32 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 681 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
Wait, what?
I've already said too much.
Old 08-01-22, 11:46 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10244 Post(s)
Liked 11,596 Times in 5,943 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
How many socks was he wearing?
Two. But both were on the same foot.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 08-01-22, 12:09 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
A shirt under bibs is nothing, I see that look semi-regularly.

Once was riding on the MUP where an older dude was riding with bib straps over his oversized long sleeve jersey, partially stuffed down the back side. It didn't occur to him that riding with inaccessible rear jersey pockets would be an invalid configuration. My best guess was that he wanted to show off Assos' silly graphics that they put on their bib straps.
Old 08-01-22, 02:24 PM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked 584 Times in 345 Posts
It's a lot easier to go to the bathroom with the bib on top - you don't need to take the shirt off first!
Old 08-01-22, 02:37 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4831 Post(s)
Liked 7,824 Times in 3,706 Posts
Wait, what?
Underwear isn't worn under lycra bike shorts with a padded chamois. It's commando style every time. Seams and fabric can cause chaffing in areas that we really don't want chaffed,
Old 08-01-22, 03:20 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by Herzlos
It's a lot easier to go to the bathroom with the bib on top - you don't need to take the shirt off first!
#Full-ZipJersey
Old 08-01-22, 04:44 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Originally Posted by indyfabz
#Full-ZipJersey
Exactly.

Old 08-01-22, 04:45 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Originally Posted by Eric F
Underwear isn't worn under lycra bike shorts with a padded chamois. It's commando style every time. Seams and fabric can cause chaffing in areas that we really don't want chaffed,
"Is anything worn under bike shorts?"
"No! It's all in perfect working order!"

Likes For genejockey:
Old 08-01-22, 08:39 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 532 Times in 292 Posts
I only have one pair, which I only wear on a couple of my bikes that don't have good, quality gel seats. Not sure how I feel about the idea of going "commando" though.
Old 08-01-22, 08:43 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,426 Times in 2,826 Posts
I only have one pair, which I only wear on a couple of my bikes that don't have good, quality gel seats. Not sure how I feel about the idea of going "commando" though.
Try it and then judge. I would hazard a guess that 98% of bike short wearers, females included (and my wife being one) never wear underwear with Lycra padded shorts.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 08-01-22, 09:11 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2644 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts
All of the women I ride with go commando under their cycling shorts
Old 08-01-22, 09:27 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

In the end, if you're comfortable then it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, but feel free to have a read if you're interested.
https://www.femmecyclist.com/dont-we...r-bike-shorts/
Old 08-01-22, 09:46 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

I would suggest taking with some other ladies who are serious cyclists about what they do and why.

I look at my cycling bibs the same as underwear - wash after every use.
Old 08-01-22, 09:50 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
Originally Posted by epnnf
While riding on a local MUP, saw a guy wearing a blue cotton T, then bibs over them. That is, he was wearing black bibs, but with a T shirt under them. I dont wear bibs, but always thought you wear bibs, then jersey/shirt over them. He seemed to be a novice rider.
PNW rando 3-season uniform: base layer, bibs, jersey, rain jacket, reflective vest. When the sun comes up the vest comes off. When the rain stops, off comes the rain jacket. If it heats up from there, you're gonna either stop, strip down to skin, and put the jersey back on, or just say screw it and peel the jersey.

Now I'm not saying your guy was 400k into a 600k thumbing his nose at convention, but he coulda been. Ohio has its randos, too.
Old 08-01-22, 11:55 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
WTH is a "bib" anyway?
Aside from safety gear, or lack thereof, ^^^ this right here.
You care what others wear in terms of safety gear? Does this mean you think people who ride without helmets are wrong?

Last edited by Camilo; 08-01-22 at 11:58 PM.
Old 08-02-22, 12:01 AM
VegasJen

Guys, I'm not trying to be argumentative. It just never occurred to me to even try it. And I'm hesitant about going "commando" under almost any circumstance. Plus, I'm still kind of new to the game. Ultimately, I would prefer just to get a decent gel cushion seat for my other bikes, wear regular bike shorts and be done with it. Hell, the only reason I have this pair is I stumbled across them at Goodwill for $5, figured I couldn't pass that up.
I would suggest taking with some other ladies who are serious cyclists about what they do and why.

I look at my cycling bibs the same as underwear - wash after every use.
The problem is I really don't know any other lady cyclists. I live in a small community and for the first time in the 2.5 years I've lived here, last Saturday I saw a group ride with about eight guys in it. Frankly, it stunned me to see that many people riding out here at once. I think the most I've ever seen prior to that was three individuals. My community is an older demographic and I think most of the residents feel like a good day's exercise is taking their Pomeranian for a walk.
Old 08-02-22, 12:04 AM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by Camilo
You care what others wear in terms of safety gear? Does this mean you think people who ride without helmets are wrong?
I don't think they're wrong. I've very pro-liberty. I'm also very pro-personal responsibility. I do think they're making an incredibly stupid choice.
Old 08-02-22, 06:25 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Guys, I'm not trying to be argumentative. It just never occurred to me to even try it. And I'm hesitant about going "commando" under almost any circumstance.
It's not "going commando" if the garment is made to be worn next to the skin. Are you "going commando" when you wear a swimsuit?

https://www.femmecyclist.com/dont-we...r-bike-shorts/
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 08-02-22, 08:59 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2644 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts
Ultimately, I would prefer just to get a decent gel cushion seat for my other bikes, wear regular bike shorts and be done with it.
The "standard" for both men and women is regular bike shorts with nothing worn underneath, a nice seat doesn't replace this. That being said I ride with normal shorts and underwear 95% of the time, if youre comfortable you aren't doing anything wrong. But yeah the standard lycra cycling shorts aren't meant to be worn with underwear
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 08-02-22, 09:14 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3905 Post(s)
Liked 7,181 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
But you haven't truly lived unless you have tried to tell a female cyclist that she shouldn't wear underwear under her shorts.
You didn’t do this on a first date, did you?
Just wait until Chapter 7: Chamois Butter
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 08-02-22, 09:46 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Guys, I'm not trying to be argumentative. It just never occurred to me to even try it. And I'm hesitant about going "commando" under almost any circumstance. Plus, I'm still kind of new to the game. Ultimately, I would prefer just to get a decent gel cushion seat for my other bikes, wear regular bike shorts and be done with it. Hell, the only reason I have this pair is I stumbled across them at Goodwill for $5, figured I couldn't pass that up.
The problem is I really don't know any other lady cyclists. I live in a small community and for the first time in the 2.5 years I've lived here, last Saturday I saw a group ride with about eight guys in it. Frankly, it stunned me to see that many people riding out here at once. I think the most I've ever seen prior to that was three individuals. My community is an older demographic and I think most of the residents feel like a good day's exercise is taking their Pomeranian for a walk.
I don't think anyone is arguing, but rather sharing information that you might not be aware of to help improve your knowledge. I'm aware (as others may be) that you're new-ish to cycling. The reason why most serious cyclists wear padded shorts/bibs designed for cycling (with no underwear) is because it has proven to work best. A high-quality pair of cycling shorts/bibs is a game changer for long-distance comfort. All that said, do what works best for you.
Old 08-02-22, 01:03 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
I don't think they're wrong. I've very pro-liberty. I'm also very pro-personal responsibility. I do think they're making an incredibly stupid choice.
I wear a helmet 99.9% of the time, because why not. I have ridden a few times when I forgot it. But, to me, it's a perfectly rational decision for an individual to decide that the danger of cycling is so minimal that helmets aren't critical. So "incredibly stupid", or even "stupid" is not a word I would use. I think it's much less intelligent, or at least equally not intelligent, to not wear eye protection of some sort when riding.

But best to have this discussion in Advocacy and Safety, and I apologize for contributing.
Likes For Camilo:
Old 08-02-22, 02:38 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
you didn’t do this on a first date, did you?
potd!
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-02-22, 04:10 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
You didn’t do this on a first date, did you?
Depends on who you ask. I say it was a date. She says I sped up after she passed me and talked her ear off about how a cop just gave me a stop sign ticket when the whole police department knows me and how much I help them out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.