Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

FedX sent me a bill for a duty

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

FedX sent me a bill for a duty

Old 05-20-22, 10:12 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,279 Times in 2,940 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
You continue to miss the point that Fed Ex's practice of doing this is not typical, and someone approaching the situation that the OP described with skepticism is warranted.
It doesn't matter whether or not it's typical, it is what they do. That is the reality of the situation.
Old 05-20-22, 11:45 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
That doesn't answer my question.

A large company paying for services and then invoicing individuals after the fact with little or no verified information is not a typical business practice..

Almost certainly, what FedEx has decided is that it's more expensive to deal with the disruption of having to handle the packages specially than they end up losing when they get stiffed on the invoices.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 05-20-22, 11:49 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Unless Fed Ex is collecting a credit application with social security number and verifying identities, it's not the same thing at all.

You continue to miss the point that Fed Ex's practice of doing this is not typical, and someone approaching the situation that the OP described with skepticism is warranted.

Skepticism is always warranted as scams will work best when they resemble the SOP. No one is saying OP shouldn't verify that it actually was duties on a shipment OP received and not some randomly generated mass mailing.
Old 05-20-22, 12:08 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by tomato coupe
It doesn't matter whether or not it's typical, it is what they do. That is the reality of the situation.
Just to make the point that this is SOP cuts both ways, banks had to change the ways in which they dealt with suspicious activities because scammers were setting up phishing schemes that pretty much looked identical to the SOP.

Pretty much everything that isn't a routine bill needs to be cross-checked before you send out money and/or information, it's just basic identity security at this point.
Old 05-20-22, 11:20 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,620 Times in 926 Posts
Man. 4 pages & nary a reference one to: "doodie."

What's the BF coming to?

Sheesh.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 08-30-22, 01:25 AM
Pop Alexandra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unfortunately, they keep taxing everything they can for years.
Old 08-30-22, 04:22 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,163 Times in 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
They say I owe like $145 duty on some 6 pound shipment from Europe in March. I just found out about this bill. It is very odd. I did place and order from Bike24.com in Germany maybe back in March but I can't say for sure if this is where this charge is coming from.
Since this thread has been re-opened, and despite the bickering, it would be nice to know the outcome.

I don’t buy a lot from overseas, but it is good to know there is a threshold, $800, where additional fees are charged.

I think that most non-domestic online sites have disclaimers about the price not including duties or export/import fees. I can understand why online retailers want no part in that world and there is probably an agreement by the buyer to pay these fees buried in the terms and conditions.

John
Old 08-30-22, 05:27 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
This thread took off and I was busy so I wasn’t following it.

The outcome for me was that FedX turned my uncollected duty over to a collection agency when I ignored FedX’s billing too long. When I saw that the collection agency now wanted ~$165 I got a bit angry but a bit concerned too so I just paid the amount requested to avoid any future harassment.

The bill from the collection agency clearly stated that the duty was from Merlin Cycles in the UK. Previously I had assumed it was from a purchase that I had made from Bike24.com in Germany. Maybe if it was stated on the bill from FedX that the tax (duty or whatever you want to call it) was from a big purchase from Merlin, I would have paid more promptly. It actually made sense that the bill came from Merlin because I made a purchase over $1,000 from them. They had a sale on Dura Ace 9100 rim brake integrated shift levers and Dura Ace 9120 hydraulic disc/mechanical shift integrated levers and I wanted some for some bike builds I have in the pipe line.

Maybe the bigger tax kicked in once the total went above $1,000 but to be honest, I’m still not sure. I’m pretty busy in my life so I just paid it so I could move on. My great buy from Merlin ended up being just an average buy. But with world wide parts supply chain iffy-ness being a thing I’m OK with how it turned out. Honestly, I was surprised to be able to get premium Shimano Dura Ace parts again from the UK. Shimano cracked down on “grey market” sales for US buyers nearly 10 years ago now, making it much more difficult to find deals. I think that the way Merlin is still able to sell some of these Shimano parts is that they are generically boxed and sold as “OEM” with no more than a Merlin sticker on the brown box stating what it is. But the parts are the real deal. With Dura Ace 9200 Di2 being here, I wanted a second set of the 9120 mechanical disc shifters while I could get them since I have 2 Wittson Illuminati titanium frames I am building that are configured for mechanical disc. I had a hard enough time obtaining my first set of 9120 integrated shifters state side originally, and now I’m running the risk that they are already phased out anyway so I decided to act.

Last edited by masi61; 08-30-22 at 05:31 AM.
Likes For masi61:
Old 08-30-22, 07:04 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Thanks for giving us the outcome. Yes, they should have been more clear on what shipment the charges were for and should be aware that scams are rife. I would have also been hesitant to pay that invoice if it just randomly came in the mail and had little verifying info. If it were just an email I'd totally suspect a scam. My spam folder is full of stuff like that.

Last edited by Milton Keynes; 08-30-22 at 07:26 AM.
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 08-30-22, 08:37 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6172 Post(s)
Liked 4,789 Times in 3,305 Posts
Did Shimano really crack down on the UK dealers shipping to the US? I thought it was more that the exchange rate and cost of such cycling goods in the US just made purchasing from them less attractive.

It's something that is a moving target for many reasons of trade and demand and supply, sometimes they are a good buy and other times they aren't.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 08-30-22, 08:46 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Did Shimano really crack down on the UK dealers shipping to the US? I thought it was more that the exchange rate and cost of such cycling goods in the US just made purchasing from them less attractive.

It's something that is a moving target for many reasons of trade and demand and supply, sometimes they are a good buy and other times they aren't.
My understanding was that SRAM was first to crack down on overseas internet sales to the USA. Shimano followed suit. If you check some of the European internet retailers who list Shimano parts, often you will be unable to add them to your cart and you will see “unable to ship to USA” with no explanation…
Old 08-30-22, 08:55 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6172 Post(s)
Liked 4,789 Times in 3,305 Posts
My understanding was that SRAM was first to crack down on overseas internet sales to the USA. Shimano followed suit. If you check some of the European internet retailers who list Shimano parts, often you will be unable to add them to your cart and you will see “unable to ship to USA” with no explanation…
I saw some articles 5 or so years ago suggesting it was SRAM and Shimano cracking down. But they didn't give any sources so I just assumed them to be speculation.

Trade agreements for the USA were also in flux at that same time. So maybe they just weren't certain, and were just protecting themselves from customer backlash at the obscene customs charges that the customer might unknowingly incur.

When you buy from overseas, you are the importer and responsible for such fees if due. The sender doesn't typically have to worry about anything other than freight..
Old 08-30-22, 09:16 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3942 Post(s)
Liked 7,279 Times in 2,940 Posts
The outcome for me was that FedX turned my uncollected duty over to a collection agency when I ignored FedX’s billing too long. When I saw that the collection agency now wanted ~$165 I got a bit angry but a bit concerned too so I just paid the amount requested to avoid any future harassment.
Maybe all the posters who insisted the bill was a scam and told you not to pay it will kick in some money to help you out?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 08-30-22, 09:25 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked 1,319 Times in 672 Posts
This thread took off and I was busy so I wasn’t following it.

The bill from the collection agency clearly stated that the duty was from Merlin Cycles in the UK. Previously I had assumed it was from a purchase that I had made from Bike24.com in Germany. Maybe if it was stated on the bill from FedX that the tax (duty or whatever you want to call it) was from a big purchase from Merlin, I would have paid more promptly. It actually made sense that the bill came from Merlin because I made a purchase over $1,000 from them. They had a sale on Dura Ace 9100 rim brake integrated shift levers and Dura Ace 9120 hydraulic disc/mechanical shift integrated levers and I wanted some for some bike builds I have in the pipe line.

Maybe the bigger tax kicked in once the total went above $1,000 but to be honest, I’m still not sure. I’m pretty busy in my life so I just paid it so I could move on. My great buy from Merlin ended up being just an average buy. But with world wide parts supply chain iffy-ness being a thing I’m OK with how it turned out. Honestly, I was surprised to be able to get premium Shimano Dura Ace parts again from the UK. Shimano cracked down on “grey market” sales for US buyers nearly 10 years ago now, making it much more difficult to find deals. I think that the way Merlin is still able to sell some of these Shimano parts is that they are generically boxed and sold as “OEM” with no more than a Merlin sticker on the brown box stating what it is. But the parts are the real deal. With Dura Ace 9200 Di2 being here, I wanted a second set of the 9120 mechanical disc shifters while I could get them since I have 2 Wittson Illuminati titanium frames I am building that are configured for mechanical disc. I had a hard enough time obtaining my first set of 9120 integrated shifters state side originally, and now I’m running the risk that they are already phased out anyway so I decided to act.
One of the reasons European parts prices look good is they are sold VAT exempt. The issue is once the value of the shipment is above a certain threshold, local taxes and duties apply. If the value of the shipment is too small the shipping charges take that advantage away. So a small value window exists.

As for the usual suspects advising you not to pay or its a scam is expected. Asking for advice on these forums is like getting investment advice from a Taxi driver questionable at best.
Likes For Atlas Shrugged:
Old 08-30-22, 12:00 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,938 Times in 4,673 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
As for the usual suspects advising you not to pay or its a scam is expected. Asking for advice on these forums is like getting investment advice from a Taxi driver questionable at best.
Free financial advice is usually worth exactly what you've paid for it.
Old 08-30-22, 01:12 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I'm too lazy to scroll through this whole thread, but I think the advice was verify it before you pay it, not don't verify it and don't pay it. There are a lot of fairly sophisticated scams out there (I have clients who have fallen for them), so that verification is still sound advice. OP didn't follow that advice.

ETA--actually went back and checked. There was the one "definitely a scam" guy, but even the "almost certainly not a scam" people were suggesting verification.

Most of the advice was sound, and if the OP had followed it, collection agents would not have been summoned.

Last edited by livedarklions; 08-30-22 at 01:25 PM.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-30-22, 01:34 PM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
Maybe all the posters who insisted the bill was a scam and told you not to pay it will kick in some money to help you out?
Just so we're all clear, the first 30 or so responses in this thread were people suggesting that the OP verify before paying, which seems like pretty good advice.
Old 08-30-22, 03:09 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Seems to me I read a similar complaint where FedEx consolidated a bunch of small shipments where the total value of the shipment went over the $800 limit. They assessed fees on all of the recipients based on what was paid for the entire shipment divided up among all of the recipients. How they justify this is beyond me. I bought a lot of stuff directly from China on eBay for bike accessories and for LED lighting. All of the purchases were well under $800 and I never paid a cent in duties. They were sent by China post, not FedEx. I would never order anything shipped by FedEx from overseas just in case that is true.
Old 08-30-22, 04:28 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Advantage of the expedited private shipping companies is speed. OTOH, choosing slow-boat (ie. Royal Mail handoff to USPS) is that the USPS carriers won't be bothered to try and collect duty on an enclosed (polybagged) invoice, and I can't imagine the USPS (ironically) mailing an invoice to postal customers
Old 08-30-22, 06:08 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 547 Post(s)
Liked 790 Times in 402 Posts
Don't use Fedex. If you are buying from overseas, try to use airmail as your first option, and priority mail as your second option, with UPS as a last resort. Fedex is fine for documents, but not for shipping goods. I say this as the owner of an online retail store which exports worldwide. Other services charge less, and if there are duties, they collect upon delivery, so you don't get taken by surprise later on. If the shop you are looking at uses only Fedex, find another shop.
Old 08-30-22, 06:15 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
I've made 2 purchases from bike24 this year and both were shipped by DHL in Germany and handed off to USPS in the states.

Check if you order even arrived by FedEx.
Old 08-30-22, 08:03 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,163 Times in 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I can't imagine the USPS (ironically) mailing an invoice to postal customers
They’ll figure out the right address but deliver it to the wrong location.

John